Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
sverm said:
craigix said:
It's such a simple issue Michael is just going to do them as we ship them.

The factory can do the rest.

If I interpret this correctly, do you mean that for the boards already populated, Michael will be making a manual adjustment (God bless his patience!); and for all future not-yet-populated boards, the factory will be doing the fix right from the start of the manufacture?

Yes. It's just a resistor change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also i take it this is how they will now ship not with the mini usb wifi stick? also can that be added to overide the internal wifi mod if you want faster connection IF you dont get the speed back up?

So will full speed will require a larger hack or a new board revision, I wonder?
I think proper operation is more important to people than absolute speed, 2.8 Mbit/s works for me if it's reliable, especially since I have the option of using a stick when I need the extra speed.

Good news everyone!

farnsworth.jpg

Attachments

• farnsworth.jpg
    farnsworth.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 100
craigix said:
sverm said:
If I interpret this correctly, do you mean that for the boards already populated, Michael will be making a manual adjustment (God bless his patience!); and for all future not-yet-populated boards, the factory will be doing the fix right from the start of the manufacture?

Yes. It's just a resistor change.

Will he be making the change as part of the assembly procedure in the UK - or are the boards not going to ship until he's made the change?

chaosfx said:
so u gonna just change a resistor at the next 3500 boards .

what about the first 500 ? will the fix it at the factory (will take a couple of days) or can u do this at the massproductiontownhall ;) ?

It was mentioned a few posts ago... they will fix them on the spot.

350 is fast enough for surfing? Are you people insane?
Seriously, I've not got the absolute fastest connection, but it is a very excellent 5Mb/s. Even so, regular surfing doesn't come anywhere NEAR 350KB/s. If I open 50 tabs at the same time, then I start to see huge hits in my bandwidth, but if I'm just surfing a single page it spikes to about 50KB/s, downloads for 5 or 6 seconds, and then it's done. Saying that 350KB/s is fast enough for surfing is like saying a supersonic jet is fast enough to go to the corner store for milk.

WizardStan said:
Saying that 350KB/s is fast enough for surfing is like saying a supersonic jet is fast enough to go to the corner store for milk.
I got a 06' GTO and I burn rubber every time I go out to get groceries.

now I want a jet.... thanks

At last a very good news for all of us...thank's
Now it's time to assembly and ship .... :pandora2ut4:

marshal said:
I guess the real question is how good is the wifi range and if the 350kb/s are stable.

Multiplex said:
I think proper operation is more important to people than absolute speed, 2.8 Mbit/s works for me if it's reliable, especially since I have the option of using a stick when I need the extra speed.
Couldn't agree more.
As long as the connection is stable enough, the wifi hardware can detect all the nearby wireless connections and supports all of the types of encryption, 350KB should be enough to do most of the stuff that people need.

Personally I was hoping for the Pandora to be able to play on-line video including iPlayer (if/when Flash is ported) while using the TV-out. I can always use an external wifi stick if the internals not fast enough I suppose :)

craigix said:
What would people take as a minimum speed?

Going above 350k, it will be hard to notice except for large downloads such as torrents. Say Facebook with all images is 100k, which would be .28sec@350kBs, and .14sec@700kBs. The processor will probably be slower rendering than the download.

I say you are good to go, you won't get much better.

craigix said:

Minimum speed for me would be somthing around 100KB/s... but I have never really felt to complain about the WIFI part, I already think you guys are doing an extremely good job and if I wanted to use internet for something or transfer files to my panda I would've just used a WIFI stick to get hooked up.
When I ordered my panda I already knew there would be problems coming up so I never doubted paying for it.

craigix said:
If the Chip is a 54G chip then I would want at least 17Mbps so my internet can go its full speed, I would prefer 54Mbps so if I do a small file transfer over the network it would go 54Mbps.

While I would prefer the speed work to spec, I just want it to be able to handle video streaming where the bigger or HD files on my server would require a 4Mbit connection minimum so that comes to about 500KB I think? It would be totally boss if it could handle 10Mbit for some of the uncompressed stuff I have but not necessary.

I hope Michael gets here with an explanation soon.
I'm guessing, either there was not enough power going to the chip, so it struggled under heavy load and just lost bits along the way and the resistor to a power line gives it a bit of a boost, or the power supplied to the chip isn't stable enough causing some bits to be "weaker" than others and causing all kinds of confusion and the resistor helps stabilize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back