Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pay about $70/month for digital cable + internet at around 1.5Mbit/sec (with around 1Mbit/sec upwidth). For $5 more I could double it, and for $10 more I could quadruple it, but I'm actually pretty content with it as it is now. I think the price is pretty good.

EDIT:

772837068.png

Just as advertised, huh?

Attachments

• 772837068.png
    772837068.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 95
I`m perfectly fine with the new speed, It`s great to see it working MUCH better than it
was before.

Great work MWestern, Notaz, ED and all involved. :)

Oh, Must not forget the obligatory length of my cable. :rolleyes:

772734121.png

Trooper

Attachments

• 772734121.png
    772734121.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 91
To focus on the grimmer scenario; ~0.5 Mbit/s (66 KB/s) falls in the 'usable' category as well, but that's about the limit for me. Below that I'd consider it a bit gimped for general browsing and downloading. Gotta download those PNDs and all.

If a better hardware fix were to be discovered up later, I'd consider performing it myself (voiding my warranty, of course).

772774218.png

you know, thats way faster than i thought it would be!

Attachments

• 772774218.png
    772774218.png
    30 KB · Views: 72
88034342.png

I'm paying around $35/mo. for service here (still on a sign-up promotion price) and they have faster service if I wanted to pay for it.

The bad part (for the record):
If I was to find a connection elsewhere and wanted to download big files, even a class 2 SD card is supposed to be minimum 2MB/sec.
a 54Mbit/sec wireless link (theoretical) is 6.75Mbyte/sec, say we assume a weaker link and take 1/3rd of that and round down..2MB/sec.

I would say if you wanted to, (since craigx asked many pages ago) 2MB/sec would be a good number to aim for, but as-is I'm sure it's more
than usable and if it does have a bottleneck still I can pop an SD card into desktop/laptop when available.

Hopefully people remember (I have to remind myself sometimes) that when doing these things, there is a lot of unexplored territory involved.
Even software made by the linux community sometimes takes a few days to get a server of various types up and running, whereas we're working
with a much smaller community of contributors with fully custom hardware and software/drivers.

I'll be honest, I am not happy with the repeated delays. If I had known it was going to take this long I would not have preordered my pandora.
But the OP team has kept us all up to date as they have information and as much as we sometimes feel a need to pull our order I'm sure they've
felt somewhere along the way they could just give up on this mess of problems.

If you've read this far, my final $0.02: Soldering is a normal electronics process with circuit boards and can be done at a factory or by someone
with a steady hand and experience. I've seen a friend solder small surface mount components before, and examined his work under a microscope.
It definately is not a last-minute hack-fix (or whatever other terminology surfaced) it is a normal procedure done if there was a damaged component
that needed replacing.

800px-Soldering_a_0402.jpg

Wikipedia: Surface-mount technology

trooper said:
Oh, Must not forget the obligatory length of my cable. :rolleyes:

772734121.png
Triple my speed!?

Well... my ISP has more stars, so THERE! :p

Yes, great job Mweston/notaz and everyone involved. :)

Attachments

• 772734121.png
    772734121.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Sweden!

(and I've got a shitty connection relative to what most people have here...)
772790396.png

Measured to a local server (which is cheating, kinda, since you usually get much higher speeds to local servers):
772794071.png
Strangely, my connection is faster to Tallinn than it is to Sweden (and I'm like 2km/1mi from the test server distance-wise...)

Attachments

• 772790396.png
    772790396.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 772794071.png
    772794071.png
    32 KB · Views: 81
772798987.png
^^ Local Server

772800227.png
~ 1/3 around the world

My download speeds are usually average 1.5 MB with a high of 2.5 MB and a low of 30 KB. Life's pretty sweet. Got all my streaming and gaming needs out of this.
I'm with the Comcast 3-in-1. I think its 250 channels, a telephone line and 15MB/sec DL with 3MB/sec UL for $120 or so. Most people pay half that for just the internet speed in some areas 0.0. My routers a Belkin N Wireless F5D8233-4 v4. Supports 802.11 b,g and n

But at any rate, would 350 kb/sec be sufficient for streaming. I usually stream heavy stuff like 30 min - 3 hr shows and movies. What if that wasn't the limit?

Attachments

• 772798987.png
    772798987.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 772800227.png
    772800227.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 73
Drenyx said:
88034342.png

I'm paying around $35/mo. for service here (still on a sign-up promotion price) and they have faster service if I wanted to pay for it.

The bad part (for the record):
If I was to find a connection elsewhere and wanted to download big files, even a class 2 SD card is supposed to be minimum 2MB/sec.
a 54Mbit/sec wireless link (theoretical) is 6.75Mbyte/sec, say we assume a weaker link and take 1/3rd of that and round down..2MB/sec.

I would say if you wanted to, (since craigx asked many pages ago) 2MB/sec would be a good number to aim for, but as-is I'm sure it's more
than usable and if it does have a bottleneck still I can pop an SD card into desktop/laptop when available.
<snip>

Not all of this is directed at you specifically.

I think you're expecting too much. Speakeasy tells me that I get 15Mbps during prime time and 21Mbps at of times on my laptop and I have never seen a file download faster than 1.2MBps using any means. I don't think I've ever actually seen it exceed that on a hard line, either. You have to keep in mind that this was a "real world" test. MWeston just up and downloaded a few random files off the internet on a connection with God knows what rated speed and got 350kBps. For all we know, the chip could now be achieving its theoretical 54Mbps. Hell, if I just randomly grabbed some files right now, I could probably get a top speed of 100kBps with some bad luck.

We all need to settle down and wait for MWeston (or Notaz if he fixes his Pandora himself) to give some new numbers from better tests.

Incorrect resistor value? What happened? An extra 'k' after the resistor value on the PCB design? (ie. 100k instead of 100)

Rathum said:
We all need to settle down and wait for MWeston (or Notaz if he fixes his Pandora himself) to give some new numbers from better tests.

Yea, there's no rush. It'll still be at least two months before we get our hands on these things! A lot could change in that time!

$65/month Verizon FIOS here in Maryland, USA. :)

47790.png

Attachments

• 47790.png
    47790.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 78
772827005.png
50something€...

I'm quite happy with the improvement in speed, although I liked the idea of the dongle too. So if Craigix gives the option, I'd buy 1 or 2 of those nice dongles.

Attachments

• 772827005.png
    772827005.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 72
We should wait for what MWeston has to say about this issue but anyway I am very happy with the in-Wifi or with the nice Dongle.

this topic makes me wanna cry,

i pay nearly $40 USD for a 2Mbit/s never goes that high barely 1.8Mbit/s performance

not to say that i barely have 300Kbit/s upload and and awfull latency

i HATE TELMEX! but theres no other option.

back on topic

the fix seems cool and easy, but im still unsure of the real speed that the panda is capable now.

,btw please dont forget some latency tests and if possible some QoS test too.

Where it is right now (350KB) IS EXCELLENT! Just leave it. If more speeds come down the track - just post NAND updates!

WOOOOOF**KENHOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back