Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the nix router solution on a floppy disk called again? That thing helped my whole house pass their degrees :D

mahousaru said:
What was the nix router solution on a floppy disk called again? That thing helped my whole house pass their degrees :D
then why didnt you hang it up on the wall next to the degree diplomas?

Last edited by a moderator:
mahousaru said:

My guess, either Linux Router Project or Coyote Linux or FreeSCO.

DroneB Dev said:
mahousaru said:

I think one of us did. I've mailed him to ask, but its really bugging me that I can't remember. Gosh I can still remember the arguments we got into when someone started trying to download stuff right before a course work deadline.

I couldn't live without my broadband now :p

mahousaru said:
DroneB Dev said:
mahousaru said:

I think one of us did. I've mailed him to ask, but its really bugging me that I can't remember. Gosh I can still remember the arguments we got into when someone started trying to download stuff right before a course work deadline.

I couldn't live without my broadband now :p

JEJE HAHA, i still have my ol' good 4kRAM digital memopad next to my bed it still carry a nice big set of passwrd on it.
saved me a lot of times. (also gave me big headaches when memo batt went down)

notaz said:
Vega said:
Does anybody know how fast is Nokia N900 wifi working? It's the same chipset, right? I think it would be a good goal - to reach N900 speed. Then I'll be satisfied, I think.
I've read reports of N900 doing ~750KiB/s, that's 5-6 Mbit/s. I've been able to reach that speed on pandora too using certain kernel setups. It seems to be slightly affected by other peripherals being enabled, but I'm getting at least 500KiB/s most of the time now.

The speed looks reasonable to me now, this is not a laptop after all. How well are other similar sized gadgets performing?
Hi, registered just for this. My Neo Freerunner ( a VERY buggy phone ) has wifi over sdio too (ar6k chipset) and can do 800KB/s of ssh link to link. Mind you, it's a stupid slow ARM920t in a defective design where the multimedia chip hogs 99/100 of memory bus time.
Anyway this hardware problem basically completely broke my trust in the pandora design. Is this going to be fixed for some hw revision ? (as fixed, I would mean speeds that are limited by the wifi module, not board design)

Also a tip for what I think would give you nicer speed measures: make a small http server on your host machine with wifi (or on the same switch as your local wifi router), mount tmpfs on both ends (pandora and pc), put like 50MB file into the tmpfs on pc and wget it on your pandora. Please, this is extremely important to me and I bet more people want definite speed measures too.

Also if you wanna get inspired for the wifi drivers: http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=tree;f=drivers/ar6000;h=89adfb9dbc2970bdd676b8c6a963b3f3ddaca5b2;hb=andy-tracking

[EDIT] sorry I originally confused git revision and provided bad link

1 day +1 month to be a grave dig.

but im also interested into this.

Alerino said:
you motherf***** gravediggaz :lol: should lurk the forums a bit more

there are lots of reviews... take this one

and someone please lock this thread

http://wejp.k.vu/pandora/pandora-review

"On that PC I’ve configured a ftp server (vsftpd). Through that ftp server I’ve downloaded a test file of exactly one GiB. The download speed I achieved with the Pandora was about 950 KB/s. "
Thanks for this. I see it's still broken and not planned to be fixed. Also, we motherf***** gravediggaz would appreciate if this forum offered a proper non-case sensitive search.
And 900KB/s is NOT decent for a cutting edge ARM processor. People won't be able for example to use network drives normally and will be forced to sync over usb, etc. I got used to my phone just sitting in a charger in some room and being able to connect to it any time and upload a file from wherever I am.

cz_jc said:
And 900KB/s is NOT decent for a cutting edge ARM processor. People won't be able for example to use network drives normally and will be forced to sync over usb, etc. I got used to my phone just sitting in a charger in some room and being able to connect to it any time and upload a file from wherever I am.
I'm sorry your Pandora isn't operating as well as you had hoped. I'm still waiting on mine so I can't comment on the speed of the network. Have you tried disabling the power management? It might increase speed at the cost of battery life. Most portable devices have heavy power management which slows down the network but greatly improves efficiency. I think some people have reported that their Pandoras are about on par with other small non-computers (by which I mean phones and MIDs, not laptops and EEEs)

WizardStan said:
cz_jc said:
I'm sorry your Pandora isn't operating as well as you had hoped. I'm still waiting on mine so I can't comment on the speed of the network. Have you tried disabling the power management? It might increase speed at the cost of battery life. Most portable devices have heavy power management which slows down the network but greatly improves efficiency. I think some people have reported that their Pandoras are about on par with other small non-computers (by which I mean phones and MIDs, not laptops and EEEs)
I don't have a pandora. I'm considering it. Yeah, on FR, iwconfig <wifi> power off helps somewhat. I just really hope open source hackers ever get their candy. I myself develop gentoo-openmoko on the Freerunner now and I'm tired by the severe restrictions hardware developers imposed on us. Pandora looked like the mesiah until: it was annouced that schematics won't be available (but pin assigments and chip datasheets are so I said to myself: ok) and when it was reported a crucial component isn't working. I hope the developers have enough finances and the decency to fix the problem for next hw revision. I really love the pandora otherwise. Again, does anyone know if the core dev team plans on fixing it ?

cz_jc said:
I don't have a pandora. I'm considering it.
So you're complaining about a problem that may not even exist?

WizardStan said:
cz_jc said:
It's clearly described on several places: the developer blog, here in this very thread by a core developer and in the aformentioned reviews.

cz_jc said:
WizardStan said:
cz_jc said:
It's clearly described on several places: the developer blog, here in this very thread by a core developer and in the aformentioned reviews.
What's clearly described? That it's achieving a transfer rate of 950KB/s. 7.6Mbit sustained should allow you to stream even HD video files faster than real time. It's quite comparable to other wireless devices, especially the N900 according to some reviews, and that's with the power management turned on, and we don't even know what his setup was like. For all we know he could have a half dozen neighbours all vying for the same wifi channel.
I take issue with your definitive statement that these anecdotes are enough to establish that there's a problem that needs to be fixed. Not only because I consider 950KB/s to be far more than acceptable, but also because it lacks any sort of serious scientific investigation. It needs to be tested in different conditions and compared against other similar devices on the same network. If it'll make you feel better, when I get mine I will run such tests, though I consider them futile.

WizardStan said:
What's clearly described? That it's achieving a transfer rate of 950KB/s. 7.6Mbit sustained should allow you to stream even HD video files faster than real time. It's quite comparable to other wireless devices, especially the N900 according to some reviews, and that's with the power management turned on, and we don't even know what his setup was like. For all we know he could have a half dozen neighbours all vying for the same wifi channel.
I take issue with your definitive statement that these anecdotes are enough to establish that there's a problem that needs to be fixed. Not only because I consider 950KB/s to be far more than acceptable, but also because it lacks any sort of serious scientific investigation. It needs to be tested in different conditions and compared against other similar devices on the same network. If it'll make you feel better, when I get mine I will run such tests, though I consider them futile.

Again, the wifi is supposed to give at least 3MB/s. Wifi != 'the internets'. Someone wants to transfer files locally for example. The wifi is one pipe into the device from outer world that atm is very thin. I'm suprised how much speculation there is about people's individual internet connections and 'forum decor' and no straight answer.

cz_jc said:
Again, the wifi is supposed to give at least 3MB/s.
Says who? It has a theoretical top limit of 54Mbit, 6.75MB/s. Why the number 3MB/s? Can you give me an example of some other portable devices similar to the Pandora that achieve that rate?

WizardStan said:
cz_jc said:
Says who? It has a theoretical top limit of 54Mbit, 6.75MB/s. Why the number 3MB/s? Can you give me an example of some other portable devices similar to the Pandora that achieve that rate?
Says me, that's what I'd consider normal. This can be achieved on MIPS/ARM routerboards (and some even have 'turbo' modes that give up to 70mbit/s). Pandora is nothing like other portable devices. But ok, what about the touchbook (which is also an omap-based platform) ? I'm getting my friend who has it test the performance soon just to get an argument as I see people here need proof and are not willing to listen to reason. OMG thats a lot of BS for one stupid question.

cz_jc said:
WizardStan said:
cz_jc said:
Says me, that's what I'd consider normal. This can be achieved on MIPS/ARM routerboards (and some even have 'turbo' modes that give up to 70mbit/s). Pandora is nothing like other portable devices. But ok, what about the touchbook (which is also an omap-based platform) ? I'm getting my friend who has it test the performance soon just to get an argument as I see people here need proof and are not willing to listen to reason. OMG thats a lot of BS for one stupid question.
I reserve the right to LOL when he tests it @ 950KB/s.

rabidpoobear said:
I reserve the right to LOL when he tests it @ 950KB/s.
You know, if you were more developer/geek and less BS, pandora would have much more polished software by now. At least I'm trying. I'm just curious how pandora HW gets polished so that I can get it and hack on it. And don't worry, Touchbook's wifi is a lot better than that. I just don't have the numbers yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back