Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

finaly, I've tested some NDS Emulators onto the PC and I have to say...they are not very good. If they be able to load a game, the ingame speed is far away from playable. (I've tested it with Advance Wars Dual Strike (euro) and the new Advance Wars Dark Conflict (euro). Dual Strike wouldn't load, dark conflict was only in menus full-speed.

So if the NDS emulation onto the PC is that far away from useful, I doubt that we will see something playable onto the Pandora. I've never thought, DS Emulation is that complicated.
But besides from "Advance Wars" I don't really need a DS Emulation onto the Pandora. We will have better and faster emulators for our new Machine. :)

Ok, I have another 29 emulators ready for testing on the Pandora ;-) But before you get too excited: 27 of these are command line-based emulators of some rather ancient systems from SIMH (stuff like the PDP-11 and old IBM mainframes).

Next I have the Frotz Infocom/Z-Machine interpreter, again command line based, but probably a bit more popular than the above ;-)

Finally I have a "port" (just a very slightly modified recompile, really) of FUSE, the Free Unix (ZX) Spectrum Emulator. This is with a framebuffer interface as I don't have the SDL libraries to link against, although I have the SDL interface running under qemu so an SDL version is just around the corner. I understand someone else is working on a new Pandora-friendly interface for FUSE, but hopefully this version will keep the die-hard Speccy fans satisfied until that's ready for release.

SteveM said:
Finally I have a "port" (just a very slightly modified recompile, really) of FUSE, the Free Unix (ZX) Spectrum Emulator.

You're my hero B)

Now I know what is the first emulator I'll play on the pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the EDSAC emulator, for which I will personally port a BCPL compiler. ;)

(And, probably, put a nice GUI on too...)

fusion_power said:
finaly, I've tested some NDS Emulators onto the PC and I have to say...they are not very good. If they be able to load a game, the ingame speed is far away from playable. (I've tested it with Advance Wars Dual Strike (euro) and the new Advance Wars Dark Conflict (euro). Dual Strike wouldn't load, dark conflict was only in menus full-speed.

So if the NDS emulation onto the PC is that far away from useful, I doubt that we will see something playable onto the Pandora. I've never thought, DS Emulation is that complicated.
But besides from "Advance Wars" I don't really need a DS Emulation onto the Pandora. We will have better and faster emulators for our new Machine. :)
Using newest No$GBA right? If so, like any emulator, some games work and some games don't. Here is the latest list I can find: http://forums.ngemu.com/no-gba-discussion/...hot-thread.html

There is even a DOS version, so I will be trying to play some DS games in DOSBox very, very slowly. I will ask the developer to consider a Pandora port though.

fusion_power said:
There is even a DOS version, so I will be trying to play some DS games in DOSBox very, very slowly. I will ask the developer to consider a Pandora port though.
Ummm...have fun with that haha. Seems kinda pointless, but I can't say anything since I was running cps3 stuff in the psp FBA.

The developer of no$gba stopped working on the emulator because people showed not much interest in the project (not enough donations I guess). The latest version runs very well on a new PC and you can play most games. You can even achieve an almost full screen mode via a windows 640x480 compatibilty option.

Phoenix wright, for example, works like a charm on most DS emulators, so really it depends.

SteveM said:
Next I have the Frotz Infocom/Z-Machine interpreter, again command line based, but probably a bit more popular than the above ;-)

Excellent, thanks! Looking forward to that.

GunPei2X said:
SteveM said:

Excellent, thanks! Looking forward to that.

I'm looking forward to Frotz as well.

Does anyone know of an open source mapping software that could be used to map text adventures?

I'll be working on porting the atari800 emulator to the Pandora. I have a Beagle Board now, so it should be a fairly trivial process. The interesting question is what sort of optimizations we can make handheld wise, for the Pandora.

I wonder if we'll have a unified framework for SDL. i.e. SDL with Pandora extensions, such as automatically scaling 'full screen' to the 800x480 screen with or without letterboxing. It would be neat if we had a global configuration parameter for that, that all the emulators would read from.

wesbrown18 said:
I'll be working on porting the atari800 emulator to the Pandora. I have a Beagle Board now, so it should be a fairly trivial process. The interesting question is what sort of optimizations we can make handheld wise, for the Pandora.

I wonder if we'll have a unified framework for SDL. i.e. SDL with Pandora extensions, such as automatically scaling 'full screen' to the 800x480 screen with or without letterboxing. It would be neat if we had a global configuration parameter for that, that all the emulators would read from.
Excellent news. I'm following the Pandora stuff (been out of the loop for a while). I'd like to start developing again (porting gp2xmess). Economy isn't cooperating though. :(

~telengard

I bought a used GP2X two weeks ago. And it has good emulators for most 8/16 bit systems. Are they going to be ported to the Pandora? I do not see DrPocketSNES and Gnuboy in the list.

MiniSinisterMinister said:
I bought a used GP2X two weeks ago. And it has good emulators for most 8/16 bit systems. Are they going to be ported to the Pandora? I do not see DrPocketSNES and Gnuboy in the list.
The Snes emulator is covered not sure about Gnuboy. But with a community like this it should be attempted.

Has no one picked up n64 emulation :-( This would convince me (and I'm sure a few others) to buy a pandora. To be able to play Banjo Kazooie on the move would be great.

Is n64 emulation doable at decent fps on the pandora?

Back