Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

Well, there is the two you probably know about (payback and wind+water) and the Vektar game.

There are three in Korean, elsewhere, odonata and replay 4. That's 6.

Retrovirus is 7.

There are another 10 over there... http://www.clickgamer.com/gp2x-store.htm.

But they are just PDA games converted to GP2X because the common SDK compiles for GP2X.

So I can think of 17 GP2X commerical games.

I'm dating myself and this may have been mentioned but the computer games I most enjoyed when i was young were the infocom games.

I'm certain something like Frotz or one of the infocom interpreters would run on this. I used to play them on an old hp95 since it had a keyboard.

And pandora is the only gaming handheld I know of with a keyboard so hopefully someone will find time to compile one of those for the system.

Not only can you run all the old infocom games, I have literally the original boxed edition of every single retail one ever released including the early editions with the saucer/box for starcross, the a couple of the masteriece editions on cd rom, the community continued to make many additional games in the same language that are in the public domain as well.

Belthos

Not that I expect many others will end up using it, I'm going to try to get SIMH running when I get hold of a Pandora. It includes simulators for the following systems (mostly old minicomputers).
  • Data General Nova, Eclipse
  • Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-1, PDP-4, PDP-7, PDP-8, PDP-9, PDP-10, PDP-11, PDP-15, VAX
  • GRI Corporation GRI-909, GRI-99
  • IBM 1401, 1620, 1130, 7090/7094, System 3
  • Interdata (Perkin-Elmer) 16b and 32b systems
  • Hewlett-Packard 2114, 2115, 2116, 2100, 21MX, 1000
  • Honeywell H316/H516
  • MITS Altair 8800, with both 8080 and Z80
  • Royal-Mcbee LGP-30, LGP-21
  • Scientific Data Systems SDS 940
I'm not sure where they'd fit in Prophet's list, but I'm pretty sure the Pandora will be able to run them at many, many times full speed. ;-) All are command line based and written in straight C, so I suspect it'll be more compiling and packaging as opposed to actual porting.

belthos said:
I'm certain something like Frotz or one of the infocom interpreters would run on this. I used to play them on an old hp95 since it had a keyboard.

And pandora is the only gaming handheld I know of with a keyboard so hopefully someone will find time to compile one of those for the system.
Assuming there's an ncurses library available for the Pandora, it should be pretty trivial to get Frotz running. If no-one else is already planning to, I'll give it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
SteveM said:
Assuming there's an ncurses library available for the Pandora, it should be pretty trivial to get Frotz running. If no-one else is already planning to, I'll give it a go.
Scratch that - ncurses built out-of-the-box using the CodeSourcery tool chain and Frotz only needed a little Makefile hackery to get it to compile too. So I have a (statically linked) Frotz binary here if anyone wants to try it out.

danjh0 said:
I've been monitoring the list of emulators being worked on, and on a personal level, the one I would want the most is good 'ol Commodore 64. But looking at the list, it appears no-one is (yet) working on one. Has anyone heard anything to the contrary?

I haven't seen anyone mention working on C64. Given that there are a number of C64 emulators available for Linux, and someone even apparently got one of them working on the Palm, I'm sure if someone picks it up, it won't take much to make it work on the Pandora.

SteveM said:
So I have a (statically linked) Frotz binary here if anyone wants to try it out.
Fantastic! Thanks, SteveM. Any Pandora guys want to try this out? Frotz would be a massive win for Pandora (opens up the whole Interactive Fiction world, not just Infocom) and a perfect use for the keyboard.

Yamara said:
danjh0 said:
I've been monitoring the list of emulators being worked on, and on a personal level, the one I would want the most is good 'ol Commodore 64. But looking at the list, it appears no-one is (yet) working on one. Has anyone heard anything to the contrary?

I haven't seen anyone mention working on C64. Given that there are a number of C64 emulators available for Linux, and someone even apparently got one of them working on the Palm, I'm sure if someone picks it up, it won't take much to make it work on the Pandora.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=645864

new people no search.

Theone said:
jakshep2 said:
I am so glad that a GBC emu will probably be made for pando. I love pokémon blue :)
same here, i cant wait to play it on the move.

You can't wait to play a Gameboy game on the move?

:lol:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but i didn't find anything...

a)In your opinion is Pandora powerful enough to emulate some late 90's arcade hardware, such as Sega model 1 & 2, capcom cps3 and system 22 by Namco? I'd love to play (again) the first Sega Rally
b)Is there a project to port daphne? Pandora would be the first console with "Portable Space Ace" ;)

PS: emulators already exist for some of theese systems, but honestly i don't know if they've been ported to linux.

Tesqua said:
a)In your opinion is Pandora powerful enough to emulate some late 90's arcade hardware, such as Sega model 1 & 2, capcom cps3 and system 22 by Namco? I'd love to play (again) the first Sega Rally
b)Is there a project to port daphne? Pandora would be the first console with "Portable Space Ace"
Off the top of my head, I would say CPS3 is definitely doable. It's not that powerful. The polygon based hardware (i.e. Model 2, System 22) I'm not sure about, but my instincts say "no" or at least, not at good speeds. But I could be wrong, and am mostly going by what I recall seeing with MAME.

As for Daphne, while there may be no current project announced, I see no reason why Pandora couldn't handle it.

As an aside, I will say that I've seen clever devs pull off some amazing things on limited hardware time after time so honestly it really doesn't pay to speculate much at this point. Let's just see what happens. I think it will be a fun ride.

Tesqua said:
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but i didn't find anything...

b)Is there a project to port daphne? Pandora would be the first console with "Portable Space Ace" ;)
PS: emulators already exist for some of theese systems, but honestly i don't know if they've been ported to linux.

are you "Pandora Gamer" at Daphne's forum? (i've been trying to reply to that topic but I can't seem to login there...)
I'm really interested in having Daphne in the Pandora, it would be a dream come true :p
too bad things didn't work for the gp2x port, he'd have too much work trying to make the port playable
now on the Pandora, it's really just a matter of porting it :D
we now have a kickass processor, plenty of ram memory and sd card memory to play any laserdisc game :wub:

Zodttd just made a quick (2 hour) port of mame4all from the gp2x, so mame should be green lighted. (link)

javaJake said:
This thread does not need bumping. A new "master" sticky has taken over.
But the master sticky points to the existing threads...
Surely the master sticky isn't meant to take over everything, but to point to the most important threads.

Back