Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

scottm said:
Has no one picked up n64 emulation :-( This would convince me (and I'm sure a few others) to buy a pandora. To be able to play Banjo Kazooie on the move would be great.

Is n64 emulation doable at decent fps on the pandora?
+1,000,000,000,000 :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
scottm said:
Has no one picked up n64 emulation :-( This would convince me (and I'm sure a few others) to buy a pandora. To be able to play Banjo Kazooie on the move would be great.

Is n64 emulation doable at decent fps on the pandora?
Hell, I think decent fps Dreamcast emulation is possible :D

(disclaimer: i do not have any technical experience with programming emulators and am speaking out of my uninformed opinion)

scottm said:
Has no one picked up n64 emulation...

...Is n64 emulation doable at decent fps on the pandora?
To be honest, I'm suprised nobody has thought to ask this before :unsure:

To be a bit more helpful, opinion is divided but more people seem to think yes than no.
Have a little search around to find out more...

Pleng said:
To be honest, I'm suprised nobody has thought to ask this before :unsure:

To be a bit more helpful, opinion is divided but more people seem to think yes than no.
Have a little search around to find out more...
It has been asked before ;)
There has been an intensive discussion on the other forum, too.

Pleng said:
To be honest, I'm suprised nobody has thought to ask this before
You're kidding. There have been two dozen threads on the subject.

The only accurate answer you're going to find is "probably". It is probably possible for the Pandora to emulate a Nintendo64 at playable speeds.

But just to keep things in perspective, it is also probably possible to stick satellites in orbit cheaply and efficiently using a space elevator. Just because something is theoretically possible, doesn't mean it's definitely going to happen any time soon.

If my PC back in 1998 could do N64 emulation decently (mario 64 and mario kart 64 full speed, goldeneye struggle a bit), and run Q3 full quality at 60fps with the following specs:

PIII 450mhz
128MB ram
16MB Riva TNT 128
Win98SE

Then I'm sure the pandora can do the same with double the specs of that pc at the very LEAST :p It's graphics chip blows the TNT out of the water anyway.

Chip said:
Pleng said:
To be honest, I'm suprised nobody has thought to ask this before
You're kidding. There have been two dozen threads on the subject.

The only accurate answer you're going to find is "probably". It is probably possible for the Pandora to emulate a Nintendo64 at playable speeds.

But just to keep things in perspective, it is also probably possible to stick satellites in orbit cheaply and efficiently using a space elevator. Just because something is theoretically possible, doesn't mean it's definitely going to happen any time soon.

:eek: That negativity is really out there. Why couldn't n64 emulation be possible? The PS1 has already been shown working at near if not full speed.

Then I'm sure the pandora can do the same with double the specs of that pc at the very LEAST It's graphics chip blows the TNT out of the water anyway.

What role do 3D grachic chips play in emulation anyway? Do they actually have to emulate something and thus be 10 times faster or do they just have to be as fast as the 3D graphic chip of the system that is emulated because they get their instructions from the CPU which is doing all the emulation?

No they just draw things - which is what graphic chips do, if they draw them faster then that will increase fps.

Anyway, I would happily pay a few £s for someone to even start coding a n64 emulator for the Pandora. Come on Craig if there was even the promise of a N64 emulator I bet your orders would jump up a few notches.

As for performance, I can play most n64 games at near full speed on my 1st generation eeepc (at the default mhz, 2gb ram, xp sp2) using project64 v1.6

I would pre-order a pandora tomorrow if I thought there would be a n64 emulator coming out within a few months

CandidStan said:
That negativity is really out there. Why couldn't n64 emulation be possible? The PS1 has already been shown working at near if not full speed.
I didn't say it isn't possible. I said it probably is possible.

I'm considering porting DeSmuMe and changing the core to assembler. No promises, but work will begin when I get my Pandora (No dev unit).

Where can I find information about what changes have been made to the ARM instruction set between the ARM7TDMI, ARM9E, and Cortex-A8?

Drack said:
I'm considering porting DeSmuMe and changing the core to assembler. No promises, but work will begin when I get my Pandora (No dev unit).

Where can I find information about what changes have been made to the ARM instruction set between the ARM7TDMI, ARM9E, and Cortex-A8?
You should post in the Devs' Corner. I don't think the people who are able to answer your question will find it here ;)

Chip said:
CandidStan said:
That negativity is really out there. Why couldn't n64 emulation be possible? The PS1 has already been shown working at near if not full speed.
There is no question about it. It is definitely possible. ;)

MDave said:
Chip said:
CandidStan said:
There is no question about it. It is definitely possible. ;)

:eek: I was thinking that you had already made an n64 emu. I'm really hoping for a streamline one that works well with almost all roms. I've been using project 64 lately, and although most of the games work, a lot of the classics that I remember don't work, or don't work well. Such as Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Duke Nukem, and others.

Hopefully there will be a way to finally play the n64 with two analog disks when using first person shooters.

Back