Pcsx4All

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
This is an exceptional achievement. Not only was Playstation emulation something that many people didn't believe would be running at full speed, or even close to full speed, on the wiz, this proves those people wrong. If/When this gets out into the wild it'll breathe new life into the Wiz.

With the Caanoo right around the corner though?
If anything, it'll potentially sell Caanoo systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
[/quote]

With the Caanoo right around the corner though?
If anything, it'll potentially sell Caanoo systems.
[/quote]

True. But I meant for those of us that don't use the wiz much, it'll see more use. Also, I don't exactly have the $150 dollars to blow on a glorified wiz with 64 extra MB of ram. It doesn't seem worth it, you know?

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
True. But I meant for those of us that don't use the wiz much, it'll see more use. Also, I don't exactly have the $150 dollars to blow on a glorified wiz with 64 extra MB of ram. It doesn't seem worth it, you know?
Oh yeah definitely, absolutely.
If I still had my Wiz I'd be getting into it right now with all this exciting new software, a fullspeed PSX emu, an improved SNES emu and Ginge, it's great.

I personally think the Caanoo is an improved Wiz, rather than glorified.

RupeeClock said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
If I still had my Wiz I'd be getting into it right now with all this exciting new software, a fullspeed PSX emu, an improved SNES emu and Ginge, it's great.

Improved is subjective.

The Wiz has an OLED screen, a D-pad not analog which is better for emus, and speakers that actually face you as you play. To me the Wiz is an improved Caanoo :p

In reality the caanoo is even smaller of a step than the transition from the GP2X to the Wiz. Sure, it has twice the ram - Which is good. But aside from that and gimmicky accelerometers, what's new in the caanoo (lolwut?) that isn't already available in the GP2X or Wiz? What would compel me to buy a caanoo over a wiz, if I had a choice? Not much of anything. I think really GPH should spend a bit more time in the planning stages, before they go full out and design and build a product that is more or less a regression rather than a step forward. The buttons are a welcomed addition, but why another joystick? It seems that they can't design a device without bringing back one or more design flaws from a previous generation. If they waited a bit longer and released a handheld with a step up in processing power, a step up in memory, and a step up in control design, they'd have a winner. I really only see the caanoo as being a half-assed effort, and that's sort of sad. All that said, This playstation emulator is something that'll really bring me back to using my Wiz. The number of titles, especially RPG titles, available on the playstation make it a great thing to be able to play in a handheld format.

TL;DR Version - Caanoo is lame; playstation emulator is great.

Okay, I'm not usually one to complain about being on-topic (instead usually the one derailing threads) but the Caanoo vs Wiz complaints have been beaten utterly to death now. Some people are totally hyped about Caanoo, others are outraged, others don't care. It's highly preferential. There's no point bringing up how you feel over and over again any time any hint of the subject is dropped.

No matter how you feel about it, this emulator should absolutely be ported to Caanoo too (and I'm sure it will be, and for that matter, Pandora). I'm sure more than enough people will be happy having these options.

So, are the Beta testers making a compatibility list with the working games and settings needed for fastest emulation etc. ???? It would seem a bit silly if they didn't.

Someone said on this thread something like 'now we have a full speed PSX emu on the Wiz'. But only a few games run fullspeed right ? Is that just them getting over excited ? Or is it just the games listed on the first post of this thread ?

The betatesters are trying as many games as they can, but the emulator itself it´s being improved during these days, for example the compatibility. There are many things the developers want to include. The main reason to release it now it´s the contest, but the work isn´t over yet. Nevertheless, at this moment the emulatioin is way better than expected for the wiz.

This emulator is a fresh start, a promising start, which surpases psx4all, that was stagnated.

Sorry for my... well, you already now.

notaz said:
silver said:
No idea how he feels about, although I do hope this does not lead to a non-free pcsx4iphone port.
I guess his next update of psx4iphone will simply use pcsx4all as it's backend, with the usual "donate if you want to try latest beta" link.

If he starts selling betas again (i.e., distributing binaries to the public, even if they're called "private betas") without publishing the source code and ignoring requests for it, someone (we) should try getting in touch with the original PCSX author, as he is the only one who has the right to denounce GPL violations related to PCSX. I'm not sure if the rest of contributors to the PCSX project can complain too.

Segata Sanshiro said:
If he starts selling betas again (i.e., distributing binaries to the public, even if they're called "private betas") without publishing the source code and ignoring requests for it, someone (we) should try getting in touch with the original PCSX author, as he is the only one who has the right to denounce GPL violations related to PCSX. I'm not sure if the rest of contributors to the PCSX project can complain too.

Anyone who holds copyright, which includes anyone who has contributed to the code, can make a legal claim against someone violating the GPL.

DaveC said:
RupeeClock said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:

Improved is subjective.

The Wiz has an OLED screen, a D-pad not analog which is better for emus, and speakers that actually face you as you play. To me the Wiz is an improved Caanoo :p

I'm wondering how many more times you're planning on posting the same sentence only reworded.

For everyone else, please stay on topic. You're welcome to discuss this in the General Discussion section.

EDIT: By the way. I am majorly looking forward to playing some portable Dino Crisis.

raindog said:
Dino Crisis 2 works in pcsx4all. The first one not, at this moment.

The second one is my favourite! Happy days. :)

Franxis and the rest of the team have done an amazing job this time with this new and improved PS1 emulator, I can't wait to get my hands on this and the rest of the entries in about a week's time now!

One quick question I have to the betatesters - the Lunar re-makes on PS1 are some of the best games I've played, but I remember there was a fatal bug in which you would walk into a building and the entire screen would just go to black and there'd be no way to get rid of it unless you restarted the game (which needing to do this everytime you walk in and out of buildings is... annoying, to say the least.) I'd like to know if there was a fix for this built into the emulator like the fix they added in ePSXe for this very problem.

I already have a lineup of 12-15 different games to put on my Wiz, so if there isn't one at the moment, it's no big deal.

Sorry about getting off topic.

Anyway, one thing I've noticed in those videos was that frameskipping was apparently disabled. This means that games like final fantasy 7 could in fact be much more playable with a small amount of frameskipping, right? At the moment I'm definitely very excited about this emulator, especially if the majority of RPGs run and are playable on it (the breath of fire series, Final fantasy 7, 8, and 9, Legend of Dragoon, wild arms, xenogears, etc.) Is it clear whether or not accessing the 3D hardware would make much of a difference in speed at all? And if so, how much of an improvement might there be? At the same time, the wiz is running at 800Mhz in those videos, so those of us with slightly less capable processors won't be able to match the speed. :[

Davy_B said:
Can't wait for this to come out, have they tried any Tomb Raider games?
Acording to the betatesters the second Tomb Raider works perfect, but the first dont, with the last version.

Wow, amazing emulator, really! Every single one of you deserves a medal for that, I really hope you guys win the competition =)

Ok, now let me ask just this... is "The Adventures of Lomax in Lemmingland", "Johnny Bazookatone" and/or "Baldies" working at fullspeed? Or working at least? ^^"

Thanks in advance

My wiz has a crack down the screen, and now after months of being fine, my pixels are starting to rot. XD I probably won't even get to use this emulator. Oh well, I guess I'll have to save up for a pandora. I hear they're really Awesome, but the $350 price tag is a bit much for me at the moment. :[

Back