Pandora PNDManager

bzar

A Commando
Website
Visit site
This thread works as the bug / feature request tracker for PNDManager (part of PND management suite). If you have bugs to report or features to request post them here. I'll update the first post to contain up-to-date information on queued work.

Bugs:

General improvements:
Feature requests:
  • PND launching while shutting down PNDManager to free resources
  • Filter buttons
  • Sync at startup
  • Show "installing" notification when download is completed
  • Show restart notification after upgrading self
  • Partial upgrade dialog
  • Add option to force full sync at given intervals, default to always to get latest additional info
  • Consistent filtering/sorting for all package views
  • Option to backup old PND versions on upgrade (pndman support exists)
  • Reverting to a previously archived version of a PND
  • Hide installed packages from latest updates
  • Sort installed items by install date
  • Attempt to keep correct install date when moving between sd cards by matching PNDs based on id and version
Changelog:
Fixed in 1.4.1.1:

• Added mouse visibility setting to settings view
  • Added version number to settings view (title bar)
  • Fixed settings view being a part of the view cycle
Older releases:

Fixed in 1.4.0.2:

• Added a settings view for common settings
  • Added a setting to flip OK/Back buttons
Fixed 1.3.11.0:
  • Added a way to delete comments without using the touch screen
Fixed in 1.3.10.0:
  • Fix all size handling parts (like available space display) to handle >4GiB sizes correctly
Fixed in 1.3.9.6:
  • Queuing bugs fixed
  • A bug regarding symlinked PNDs fixed (symlinking a PND to scanned directory used to make stuff not work)
  • UI polishing
  • Added custom devices option to config, which can be used to regard specific directories like SD cards. The config takes a comma-separated list of paths. I've found adding /tmp very useful for testing out stuff. (launch pndmanager once first to get an empty option to the config, then edit)
  • Installed-view should try to retain cursor position after PND deletion
  • Left/right work as page up/down in installed-view
  • Enter executes PNDs from installed-view
  • Queued items now don't appear in multiple sections at installed-view
  • Show free disk space in install dialog
  • Disable install/upgrade-button if selected/installed disk has insufficient free space
Fixed in 1.3.6.6:
  • Fix crashing on sync
  • Fix progressbar not hiding on completed download (and other issues related to the same underlying issue)
  • Fix deadlock when closing PNDManager which randomly caused failed unmounting
Fixed in 1.3.6.3:
  • Fix crashing when repo credentials are not set
Fixed in 1.3.6.2:
  • Fix issues with some special situations
  • Fix comment view scrolling
Fixed in 1.3.6.1:
  • Better memory efficiency
  • Faster installs
Fixed in 1.3.5.0:
  • Fixes in repository interface
Fixed in (1.3.4.0):
  • Fixed comment duplication bug (and probably a host of other not-yet-encountered ones)
  • Updated screenshots
Fixed in 1.3.3.0:
  • Deleting own comments
  • Download queuing with variable max parallel downloads (default 4, can be changed from settings.cfg)
  • Thread-safety fixes
  • Some smaller bugfixes
  • Term change: "author" to "maintainer"
  • Shorter delays when installing/syncing
  • Better error messaging
Fixed in 1.3.1.2:
  • A new Qt 4.8.5 build with NEON-optimizations, bringing a more fluid user experience
  • Higher download max speed (around 1.7MiB/s)
  • New libpndman with bzip repo list support and several bugfixes
  • Actually working sync failure notification (no more infinite animation when not connected to network!)
  • Noticeably faster delta syncs to repo
Fixed in 1.2.3.0:
  • New bottom bar
  • Upgrade bug fixes
Fixed in 1.2.1.0:
  • Big backend changes to pndman and qtpndman, should make downloads more reliable
  • Repo client API support
  • Comment read/write
  • Rating
  • UI enhancements
  • Miscellaneous bugs fixed
Fixed in 1.1.4.0:
  • Bug: After uninstalling a foreign PND install button shows up
  • Make categories view items react to mousedown instead of click to increase responsiveness
  • Add spinner to indicate activity
  • Disable some buttons based on context (like launch when an application is starting/running)
  • Bug: Crashing after sync (probably, hard to reproduce reliably)
  • Bug: Two syncs required to see upgrades
Fixed in 1.1.3.0:
  • Bug: Updates don't show up until next time PNDManager is started
  • Threaded syncing (no stuttering when syncing)
  • Faster filtering (no need to add enter-pressing)
  • Move launch button to the right
Fixed in 1.1.2.0:
  • Various optimizations
Fixed in 1.1.1.0:
  • Key presses leaking from a running PND to PNDManager? Should be impossible.
Fixed in 1.1.0.0:
  • ListView based "installed" list (faster startup and filtering)
  • Faster model updating (less freezing when installing/removing/upgrading)
  • Bug: Old PND not removed on upgrade if file name does not match
  • Option to sort installed items by update time
  • PND launching with PNDManager running in the background
  • Always do full syncs
  • Change button layout: Y = install/upgrade, A = remove
  • Make empty search clear search results, not show all packages
  • Show cursor in text boxes
  • Option to enable verbose output from pndman
  • Fix preview picture browser stutter
  • Touching the screen more responsive in categories view
Fixed in 1.0.3.0:
  • Bug: Additional info and full description not shown for installed applications
  • Bug: Home view does not update on sync
  • Better icon (from repo comments)
  • Separator between description and additional info
  • Make Esc quit
  • Remember install location choice

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no additional info shown for any apps. Maybe it's just me, but I updated pndmanager today and it doesn't work. I also deleted libpndmanfolders and pndmanager appdatadirectory.

For apps I have *not* downloaded (yet) I see the additional info added right after the description without extra separator. Here some separation would be nice. But you are right, whenever an application is installed the following issues occur:

1) Only the first paragraph (until the first newline) of the description is displayed.

2) No additional information displayed.

But I also got another FR:

1) Please make sure to show some "the following is not the normal info but something extra" separator in the programs detailed view.

Feature suggestion: Keep a backup of updated pnd. Rename backup to "filename - `pxml version element`.pnd".

u cant just rename a file to back it up, it would need moving outside of the pandora directory otherwise libpnd will still detect it and it doesn't like 2 PND's with the same app id.

Should be optional though. I don't want to delete backupstuff everytime, I install stuff...

"Backup" is a great idea! It is a supporting feature for the "test" workflow!

Download, launch, see if you like it. Now, do you like it?

Yes: No user operation necessary, the PND will simply be kept.

Like the previous version better: UI button "Restore previous version" **

New version disappoints me as the old one: UI button "Remove" (both current and backupped version)

** Remark:

As PNDs usually have no dependencies, this should not cause problems, except if the old version requires an older OS (but likely you are not going to change your OS while testing just new apps! This limitation must be made clear in the documentation for this advanced feature)

But the more likely issue: Some appdata content altered by the newer version, may not be understood by the elder version!

To counter this problem, I suggest the following choices for "install" time:

"Backup-None" (default): No backup at all.

"Backup-All": Create backups for all PNDs, but do not backup appdata (potentially large data files (!), even more storage demand if this applies for all (!) PNDs). In this mode it is the user's responsibility to resolve potential appdata conflicts on a PND downgrade.

"Backup-On-Demand": If the feature is enabled in the settings, then in the UI offer a normal "Install", "Install and backup old PND", "Install and backup old PND and its appdata". As a consequence of this approach, the actions "remove" and "restore previous version" delete the affected PNDs and appdata-folders accordingly.

how about including a downgrade tab for every PND that has an archive? and upon clicking on said downgrade tab, it shows you the archive selections

how about including a downgrade tab for every PND that has an archive? and upon clicking on said downgrade tab, it shows you the archive selections

Repo doesn't provide json data for archieved PND's, for local backups it would be possible. But I'm relucant making huge changes to libpndman until competition ends. Mainly bug fixes and small additions.

If agreed apon, Bacup URLs can be provided in the json (though the app info will always reflect the latest app version).

Okay, I found an issue after updating the program:

It seems as if PNDmanager does *not* (re)move the old pnds if they were not named the same way as the new files. I had named pndmanager with the version number in its name. After the update it was still using the old version since that was found first by libpnd. You'll have to implement some way of storing the old pnd name of the "outdated" package and make sure to (re)move that one so that it is no longer in a "libpnd searched path".

But I can confirm that Esc works now for quitting and the application info and full description is shown for installed programs. Besides the additional info really is separated from the normal description.

Okay, I found an issue after updating the program:

It seems as if PNDmanager does *not* (re)move the old pnds if they were not named the same way as the new files. I had named pndmanager with the version number in its name. After the update it was still using the old version since that was found first by libpnd. You'll have to implement some way of storing the old pnd name of the "outdated" package and make sure to (re)move that one so that it is no longer in a "libpnd searched path".

Yes, this issue was fixed today. With the added backup option.

Also issue where if two seperate PND's had same file name, would cause overwrite of the other PND should not happen anymore.

I added some conflict resolving code.

If agreed apon, Bacup URLs can be provided in the json (though the app info will always reflect the latest app version).
Would be welcome addition.

A bit OT, I have a whole bunch of old PCSX versions that are not in repo, if I upload them (people sometimes need them), I guess repo will treat the last uploaded one as the "main" one to show?

B-ZaR, it seems that PNDmanager doesn't like linux file systems for some weird reason. When the download button is pressed on an ext3 formated sd card, the screen will just pan left with out a download prompt. According to the out dump, panorama.sh has failed during this event.

Back