Votes: 39 20.9%
  • Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
[15:21] <TrashyMG> Hmm on second though I better not vote for Miriad it sounds a tad like Mierda in spanish..

and Mierda = shit

Not all suggestions are in the poll - only the ones ED likes enough. I think it makes sense not to force ED to give the device a name he doesn't like himself :)

I will buy it and I will call it pandora 2 -_-

everything else will totaly confuse me and my surrounding.

call it whatever you like, but please do not print it on the case :p
That's your choice I guess,  but since it's already well established that Pandora 2 won't be the official name of the device that seems like a sure way to cause confusion. :rolleyes:

- Neelix
right! sorry

The problem with a three syllable name is it needs to be less, so a short form is needed. None of those can be combined well with dragonbox, so it isnt fixing anything, its adding to the problem.

At least before it could be dbox or something.

What i mean is dragon***box makes sense.  And since box can mean computer it isnt so hard to come up with something short *** to use in everyday language.

aid, dragon-aid-box

ode, drago-node-box

def  dragondef(ence)(inition)(initive)(ined)box

dib, Dragondibox, Dragon In Box, recursive acronym.  The dib, in english, add -en -ben -o -on in other languages

Have you got the dibs?

Last edited by a moderator:
[15:21] <TrashyMG> Hmm on second though I better not vote for Miriad it sounds a tad like Mierda in spanish..

and Mierda = shit
Pick a word, any word. It will sound like something bad in some language.

Well I don't want to cause trouble, but considering this:

Pyragon is a combination of "Pyra" (referring to Pyrrha, a daughter of Pandora) and "Dragon".
And considering also that this name will be preceded by DragonBox, I see that DragonBox Pyrrha/Pyra looks better than DragonBox Pyragon (that seems redundant now). Also Pyrrha was first _wb_ suggestion, Pyragon was the later dragonized version. I will definitely put a vote towards DragonBox Pyrrha/Pyra if possible.

don't see problem with plain dragonbox either...

btw maybe these names should be tested away from this forum, outside the incrowd...

I mean all these names are nice, but some of them are almost meaningless collections of syllabels for people not already familiar with

openpandora..

(like pandragon: is that a cooking utensil??)

A good name is important, especially for a small product - it should hit the mark right away...

Myridon and dragonfly are the only names that work for me. I voted Myridon.

Myridon rolls off the tongue.

I would go with Myridon.

The problem with a three syllable name is it needs to be less
Not all syllables are equal. Bilabial stops like "b" and "p" make a word seem longer than it actually is, keeping it from "rolling off the tongue" as the saying goes. Alveolars like "s" and "r" make a word sound smoother and shorter than it actually is. Miriad is a perfect example of a "long" word that sounds short. I'm confident that if someone recorded "myriad" and "pyragon", even if they were literally the same length of audio, people would consistently say that "myriad" was shorter. "DragonBox" has two stops, and depending on how it's pronounced the nasal "n" doesn't help either: it will sound a lot longer than it really is.That is not necessarily a bad thing: stops feel like a kind of punctuation in the middle of a word, they can make it stand out; "Dragon"!"Box", your mind latches onto that unusual "nB" sound and gives you something to remember.

"Pyragon" has the best of both: it's a lot of smooth flowing letters with a memorable stop in the middle, but it's only a velar stop, not nearly as hash as the bilabial or glottal stops.

What's wrong with the DragonBox - Lore?

Lore meaning "Knowledge acquired through education or experience".

Sounds right to me :)

Also.. the name of Data's brother on star trek, so it works on another level too ;)

What's wrong is that you didn't suggest it earlier. Like ED says, he needed to have a cutoff somewhere, otherwise people will just keep making new names forever. :p I like the current line up, we don't need more suggestions, just need to figure out which one sounds bests.

Why not use just DragonBox and add something for its successor(s)?

It makes a lot of sense as it's the first original and flagship product from DragonBox shop.

By the way first Debian release was called Debian :)

first named release is 1.1

I remember why the name openpandora was picked. It was because pandora is a common name, and with the prefix open it hadnt been used before.

Because gp2x got sued by xerox (?) over gp2x also being a japanese printer model name.

Miriad is actually an existing company.

And along came pandora radio and then the name became a duality, pandora this, or pandora that?

Updated my above post with suggestions rather than just being opposed without helping.

What's wrong is that you didn't suggest it earlier. Like ED says, he needed to have a cutoff somewhere, otherwise people will just keep making new names forever. :p
I like the current line up, we don't need more suggestions, just need to figure out which one sounds bests.
I didn't realize that there was an official post about this or I would have done.

I wish devs would stop posting important updates to the forum and just expect people to stumble across it <_<

I don't like any of the names on that list. Non of them seem too meaningful or even sound nice. I wont bother voting.. for now.

to be honest DragenBox already sounds way cooler to me than OpenPandora!!!!! Like comradekingu mentioned I also ended up prefering to call her pandi.

really? its gonna be "DragonBox DragonFly". I don't want to spoil anything but thats a bit silly xD

edit: ok, the image of a tiny four winged dragen is kinda cute! I'll seriously vote for it, if it becomes the mascot ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back