Porting Xmms To Gp2x?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
While mp3 players for GP2X are okay, it doesn't seem like they're really where they should be as far as playback quality. Oldplay plays a lot of music well, but some stuff plays with a lot of static, in which that static is apparent in no other player I use. Craigamp and GMU are both decent, but they play with a lot of static, even on my 320 kbps mp3 rips.

Is it possible to port more simple, high quality music players like XMMS to work on the GP2X?

Thanks

what is static?
XMMS is heavy for just a audio player for on the go use

quadomatic said:
Craigamp and GMU are both decent, but they play with a lot of static, even on my 320 kbps mp3 rips.
Did you try to recode them at 96kbps? 320kbps is just too much for the little Gp2x... Maybe it can't decode so fast and then you heard that static thing. If you really need 320kbps, try to increase the CPU freq inside your player.

Anyway, 320kbps in the Gp2x makes little sense. Speakers and earphone output are not that good to notice the difference with 96kbps.

I agree with Yod4z: Xmms needs not only X, but GTK as well. The Gp2x cannot move such a big thing... and decode 320kbps MP3s at the same time! :)

Yod4z: static in music sounds like this: kafjjakssaldkfjfsadfasdfffffasfj :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My files are the MP3 are 320 CBR or VBR or OGG q4 and my gp2x play them correctly

Yod4z said:
My files are the MP3 are 320 CBR or VBR or OGG q4 and my gp2x play them correctly
I just tried 320 CBR mp3s in oldplay. They skip occasionally, and when the song gets loud with the bass, the song gets really unclear and static-like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back