Promoting The Gp2x Further...

I haven't read the last few pages of this thread so forgive me if this has been suggested already:

A simple press release from GPH, sent out to as many news outlets as possible, begging existing owners of the GP2X not to abuse the ease with which it can play both pirated movies and warezed ROMs.

It'll fly off the shelves.

But seriously, if you're going to try to appeal to a mass(er) market you're not aiming at geeks and developers, you're aiming at USERS.

Right now my GP2X is only really reliably partnered with my Ubuntu box while having skittish fits with my XP box. Is that fixed in the latest firmware?

And where's commercial Vektar? It was meant to be getting sent out a couple of weeks ago wasn't it?

I believe that a bit of help from everyone on the forum would work too, try posting about it on all the forums you visit and keep taking it out places, and telling as many people as possible about it. Also I agree that targetting selected rom sites would be a good idea, but maybe also target some legitimate web sites such as Eurogamer?

Surely everyone in the fringe knows about it now? Maybe not - more adverts and articles in magazines like Linux User would probably help. Plus isn't there a Linux show coming up in the UK soon? I'n not a Linux user - but I think I remember talk of one. Having a presence there may be good. Plus getting 'decent' articles and facetime in magazines like Stuff couldn't hurt.

The next step is surely moving out of the fringe though? For that there's a serious amount of technical work needed. First and foremost some kind of package delivery system for installing games - so you don't have to rely on unzipping things left right and center. That's ok for us - but little bobby whatsifface is going to get bored quickly. It shouldn't be too bad to write, and a link to the archives so it can get a list of available/new games too.

The GP2X is an awesome machine and has a lot to offer the games playing world. This community is fantastic by the way, when was the last time Nintendo asked their users how to sell a DS :D Reading that last bit it sounds like i've been on the catnip, well at least I didn't say I love you all.

retrocraig - interesting myspace site. You got a nod from a suicide girl and I'm just listening to the second CTR release. No offense but is this a legitimate record company or just stuff you've culled from the internet? And believe me I'm only asking because it's good.

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 19 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
i say it should be a dragon

Sure. An Evil one :p

Naah, it has to be some kind of Penguin, because of Linux.
And we need a good game around it :)

Last edited:
I saw the advert in Retrogamer magazine and thought it was fine... just enough info to get me interested. very good choice of magazine to advertise in, lets people know they can play all the emu's without going down the legal minefield of mentioning roms.

I think more info should be added to the website, that was my first place to look, and I read every page within a few minutes and still wanted more info before buying.

Something I thought was good was somewhere in an ad I read how many units had been sold so far... and that there was constant development from a strong community... that helped a lot with my decision cause I still bear the scars from buying a NeoGeo Pocket and seeing it removed from the shelves before I could get round to buying a second game for it. Convincing people that this machine will be around for a while will be a good move.

Also why not go further with the word of mouth approach and target some hard core bloggers like Penny-Arcade. Send the boys there a couple of units, and maybe get them to make an advert for it (though that may be expensive).

Sounds like most people agree on GPengu, so that should be it, i think.

GPengu is essentially a penguin with electonic parts, so is he an android or a Cyborg?
What kinda of adventures should we send him on or what activities will we have him do?

OR we can Sonic/Mario with him and put him in lots of different games.

Hes a pengrobot..or is that cyborguin, C3Puenguin0, pengudroid, flighless computer. too many choices. He needs a horrible ecco the dolphin type game. Can you immagine the excitment? I cant

I included GPenguin - or what you wish to call him, in the final design of the GP2X advert. I do not think Craig will have a problem with him, we'll see tomorrow.

craigix posted on Jul 16 2006 at 12:14 PM said:
Hi Everyone, Craig here,

I'd like to hear your ideas about how we might promote the GP2X further in the UK & Europe.

I was thinking of doing something for youtube maybe (it is expensive though, about $8,000 for front page exposure for one week).

Let me know of any ideas you think might work on youtube and also in other areas, or even how you heard about the GP2X to start with...

Thanks,

Craig

I second (or third.. I didn't read the whole topic...) the reworking of your ad space in Retro Gamer. I don't know what you can show, but I would be interested in seeing just a plain list of systems the GP2X can emulate on an ad. You have a lot of space, and a good designer can fill it without it looking too empty or too cluttered. Right now, the ad's very empty.

Believe it or not, people on Gamefaqs are waiting to get a GP2X category and message board, but according to Gamefaqs 'law', a message board or category can't be made until a platform has a commercial game made for it... So perhaps you can lasso a few Gamefaq people when the commercial scene gets underway.

I learned about the GP2X after realizing how big of dicks the folks at Sony were... I thought the PSP was the GP2X initially, thought I could play SNES and Genesis on it, and didn't realize that Sony is this huge coproration and everything that is even kind of a threat to sales must be eliminated. I didn't want to jump through hoops, sold my PSP, and got a GP2X. Honestly, you can play that card and gain a lot of folks because I'm sure they're tired of jumping through Sony's hoops, too.

I'm in the US and you're asking about adverts in the UK and Europe, but I'd really like to see articles in EGM. That's a way to make Sony fanboys cringe, seeing the competition in 'their' magazine.

Magnulus posted on Jul 19 2006 at 12:17 PM said:
I'd love to see a GPengu game (and a Hasse game!), but I'm not sure what kind of a game this would be. If you ask me, it should be something you can play in short spurts as well as long ones. The design of the character, while really cute, is kind of constricting in terms of action, so it'd have to be something like an adventure, puzzle or RPG game, maybe... Just thinking out loud here.

It could be like the Segata Sanshiro game for Sega Saturn, wherein he karate chopped his way through Playstations... Haha, the penguin could karate chop PSPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paulo Becker posted on Jul 17 2006 at 01:10 PM said:
This is pretty obvious, and might already have been said before, but I think advertising the 2X in renowned roms and emulation sites could potentially attract more users to the platform.

Yeah, the GP32 add from Playasia that ran at www.zophar.net was how I heard of the GP32.

BTW: I think Craigs site is ok, but the page is a little crowded, and I have no idea what "Protx" is. I'm sure some people can't stop thinking "WTF is Protx?" when they visit, so they're distracted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday i went to Amsterdam with a bunch of friends, and i saw this Dutch Linux Magazine in a bookstore with the word "GP2X" on the cover :D There actualy was a review of about one or two pages in the magazine. It's actualy realy cool to see the console get more and more attention!

Back