Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

Bryce Leo said:
Pleng said:
:S I must have the most Pandoa-Unfortunate collection of PSX games :(
Yuck... no fun. Which ones are giving you trouble? Playing issues or just sound issues? I play every game without sound (except FFVII) so that sure helps me out too.

Well i don't like playing without sound. I can miss the music (i'll just play some mp3's on my desktop) but i really want sound in games.

And i am having trouble trying to get any version of Tony Hawk running (good memories, playing that wityh friends). Most important issue: textures are not rendered properly

Last edited by a moderator:
MarkoeZ said:
Bryce Leo said:
Pleng said:
:S I must have the most Pandoa-Unfortunate collection of PSX games :(
Yuck... no fun. Which ones are giving you trouble? Playing issues or just sound issues? I play every game without sound (except FFVII) so that sure helps me out too.

Well i don't like playing without sound. I can miss the music (i'll just play some mp3's on my desktop) but i really want sound in games.

And i am having trouble trying to get any version of Tony Hawk running (good memories, playing that wityh friends). Most important issue: textures are not rendered properly

Adventus is working on getting Tony Hawk to render right in Mupen. ;)

-God Ginrai

Lobo said:
Guess it depends on the definition of "Playable" :)

I'd say that most 3D games are *not* playable speedwise, and there are a few real classics that don't run at all (Syphon Filter series for example) or have severe graphical corruption (Tekken series).

Final Fantasy games are quite good speed, even at default 500 cpu, as well as Wipeout.
Lol the final fantasy series (7,8,9), xeno gears, and wipeout are my favs. I was hoping to find my tony hawk discs to rip as well.

Maybe it's just me with good luck on having the games that work the best :)

Gruntfuggly said:
I would honestly be truly gutted if PSX emulation doesn't progress to a reasonable state...

What's your definition of reasonable? The games I've tried have worked pretty well.

-God Ginrai

Whats your definition of "pretty well"? :) just kidding.

Problem with the psx is that there were so many bloody games for it that everyone has there personal favorite that is a deal breaker if it doesnt run well. Most people are perfectly happy if FF7 runs near fullspeed, while other are content with any 2d RPG.

I'd personally love to get Tenchu or Colony Wars near fullspeed, and Syphon Filter would really get my juice flowing. TOCA or Gran Turismo running near fullspeed would be the real killer.

Its definitely a BIG jump forwards from the gp2x and wiz versions though.

Gruntfuggly said:
What's your definition of reasonable? The games I've tried have worked pretty well.

Hard to say because I'm 3900+...

I guess reasonable for me is that at least some of my favourite PSX games are playable when she turns up...

Well, some of the games I was interested in trying worked. So to me, that seems reasonable. ;)

-God Ginrai

Gruntfuggly said:
I would honestly be truly gutted if PSX emulation doesn't progress to a reasonable state...

Don't get your hopes up too terribly much. I know I, for one, was pretty disappointed with the state of things. All along through the preorders I was basically under the impression psx emulation was just done/working/good to go... but I really don't find it to be in an enjoyable state. I was super pumped about playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night... but even overclocked it really just doesn't seem to run well enough that I find it enjoyable... Maybe I just have high standards... but if I'm playing a game and it feels like it's just being run through an emulator because there are compromises being made or bugs it just isn't a good experience for me.

Just for clarification - not trying to say it will never be good - just keep your expectations at as to what the current state of things are at a realistic level :).

Everybody said it's not possible doing decent Genesis emulation on the GP32. Took 2 years, and then it worked.
Everybody said it's not possible doing decent SNES emulation on the GP2x. It ran with 3fps. Then a year later, it was truly playable.

Now the Pandora is out, the system is way more complex than the other ones I mentioned (the OMAP documentation is 3000 pages long). And you expect everything to fully work after 1,5 months...?

Quick ports are fast but unoptimized. It's the optimization that takes time. A LOT of time. So give those guys some time.
Just because there is no new version doesn't mean no work is being done.

One of the things that's currently being worked on is using the SGX for 3D graphics. It takes quite some time rewriting this. And until you have the first finished version, it doesn't even work, so it can't be betatested or released...

Using the SGX will free up precious CPU cycles for actually emulated the rest of the PSX... right now the CPU is running a software renderer too. It's a bit frustrating that the work Tinnus had done has become lost and he's starting from scratch, but if he did it before, he can do it again, and really there are great thing waiting for us in terms of PSX emulation.

MooTheKow said:
... I was super pumped about playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night... but even overclocked it really just doesn't seem to run well enough that I find it enjoyable... Maybe I just have high standards... but if I'm playing a game and it feels like it's just being run through an emulator because there are compromises being made or bugs it just isn't a good experience for me.

Is the first game on craig's video from a year ago here not CSOTN? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbFdJG5xuY

That looks full speed @550Mhz? Or have I missed something?

silver said:
Or have I missed something?
Long story short: The base OS and other background stuff has changed a lot since then, and the apps shown in old videos were made with the way things were then in mind.

csotn runs fine on beta 3 i'm actually playing it right now while i'm at work :) , it runs unplayably slow on beta 4 tho

arp said:
csotn runs fine on beta 3 i'm actually playing it right now while i'm at work :) , it runs unplayably slow on beta 4 tho

Thanks for the heads up. regressions can usually be fixed....

EvilDragon said:
Everybody said it's not possible doing decent Genesis emulation on the GP32. Took 2 years, and then it worked.
Everybody said it's not possible doing decent SNES emulation on the GP2x. It ran with 3fps. Then a year later, it was truly playable.

Now the Pandora is out, the system is way more complex than the other ones I mentioned (the OMAP documentation is 3000 pages long). And you expect everything to fully work after 1,5 months...?

Quick ports are fast but unoptimized. It's the optimization that takes time. A LOT of time. So give those guys some time.
Just because there is no new version doesn't mean no work is being done.

One of the things that's currently being worked on is using the SGX for 3D graphics. It takes quite some time rewriting this. And until you have the first finished version, it doesn't even work, so it can't be betatested or released...
I will give them time especially considering that I won't be getting a Pandora until October or later, being in the second batch. But are you saying it's going to take a year to get optimized emulators?

No, he's saying that things take time. It's not a black-and-white statement. ;)

Obviously there won't be any new releases of the emulator anymore, just as obviously as CDDA is already working (with minor bugs) and I'm a reasonable way into implementing the OpenGL ES 2 renderer. Only this stuff takes time and we might have, say, a life to attend to and occasionally interest in other things (which is part of the former), which seems to be different from some people here who probably work for free for others 24/7.

If someone wants to finish the work on the GL renderer or whatnot, be my guest. You'll even have the opportunity to create a special build without support for scaling and filtering the image.

Thanks for being reasonable, EvilDragon and PokeParadox.

Tinnus said:
Obviously there won't be any new releases of the emulator anymore, just as obviously as CDDA is already working (with minor bugs) and I'm a reasonable way into implementing the OpenGL ES 2 renderer. Only this stuff takes time and we might have, say, a life to attend to and occasionally interest in other things (which is part of the former), which seems to be different from some people here who probably work for free for others 24/7.

If someone wants to finish the work on the GL renderer or whatnot, be my guest. You'll even have the opportunity to create a special build without support for scaling and filtering the image.

Thanks for being reasonable, EvilDragon and PokeParadox.

What? You're asking of having a life besides coding for us? Forget it :p :p :D

Thanks for all your work. Take your time, every little step forward is appreciated :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Thanks for all your work. Take your time, every little step forward is appreciated :D
+1 to this. :)

Back