Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

zodttd said:
I updated the package/sources to no longer need super user privileges. Big thanks to notaz for that help!

Updating instructions and links in original post too.

Here's the new PND to test:
http://www.zodttd.com/downloads/psx4pandora-060710.pnd

Fixed:
- Full screen scaling.

Added:
Menu for selecting BIOS file on boot.

Sweet thx zodttd, can't wait to have a play. My pandora was mainly for the psx and the amiga so both emu's coming out so quick is fantastic. Can't wait to see this emu a few more months down the line. Right now where did I put them games, hmm :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi zodttd, does this new pnd just replace the old? It's not coming up on my desktop like the 1st one!

Chris

Just tested King's Field. Performance is very good. It is more responsive than on native hardware even. However, there's some flickering and you can see white dots where some of the polygons touch.

Dunny said:
Sweet. Anyone with an .iso of R-Type Delta care to give it a try? That one will likely drag the Pandora to its knees though :)

D.

Tried with the first release of the emu and it froze on a black screen after pressing start on the menu. First game i tried. :)

Alright guys, I went to the app store, and downloaded that pnd, and it works fine. I'm heading to my PSX harddrive to start pulling iso's. Full screen looks awsome. I'll report back with some game test.

Chris

Wow this Emulator is pretty damn good. I'm uploading a video to Youtube now, It's recorded on my 3gs in one hand and controlled with my other so please mind the bad camera work, sorry.

Anyway i'll update when its uploaded, Very impressed :D

Here we go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZrF0SvYeY

Epic :D

Hey, why not have L2 and R2 be set as keyboard keys? That way, you won't be pressing L1 then L2 all the time.

just a thought. the Emu looks awesome!

zodttd said:
Exophase: I have the NEON code (which worked great) but it was for scaling + color conversion of 320x240 -> 640x480 only. What could work out great is NEON code for the various resolutions upscaled to 640x480 and centered horizontally. Then I could stop relying on fbset so much. It works now, and seems to work well now though.

Okay, couple questions.. one, why do you want to stop relying on fbset? If it uses the display controller to scale it'll be faster than anything we can do. And two, does fbset handle the color conversion as well?

Supporting other resolutions and centering is easy.

This is running rather nicely for a first release. :D It doesn't seem to like it when my Pandora's running at 850MHz, though - it's very crash-happy under those circumstances (and it runs too fast at that point, as well :lol: ).

Thanks very much, Zod. :)

any chance you could add eboot support?

EDIT: Also is it possible to limit the speed it runs at. Just tried Gradius Gaiden and it runs insanely fast!

SomeGuy99 said:
Emulator Bug: I ran GTA2 but the sprites (player, cars) don't show.
and it is all in top down cruddy 2D.

WAREZ MY 3D PLAYSTASHUN GRAFX?????

Well being the world cup And all I played the three lions game was full speed just a few sound cracks etc. It's emulators like this why I love my pandora thanks for the hard work zottd, can't wait to see this progress.

This looks promising from video.

Will there be a direct 2X pixel double mode for 320 x 240 -> 640 x 480 in the future? From what I have seen it is stretched to widescreen. PSX games were never widescreen and fractional scale doesn't look so nice. Integer 2X is much cleaner and the aspect ratio will be more accurate.

Howcome the pnd doesn't show up in minimenu?

Thanks for the great work so far.

BTW what is the best way with FREE software to rip ISOs of original disks? I have a bunch of games (not pirated how about that) that I would like to rip.

Thanks for the kindness everyone!

DaveC: Since the Playstation supports multiple resolutions on the fly, I suppose the best thing to do is scale up to 480px height and keep the width in aspect ratio.

Exophase: From what DaveC mentioned, I would use NEON if fbset can't support the above, and/or for color conversion from BGR555 -> RGB565. And as I type this I just realized I can probably set the framebuffer to use RGB24 so there will be no need for color conversion in MDEC movie playback. :)

Next things on my ToDo list include:
- Fix audio buffering
- Get a good grasp on VSync's as an IRQ and how to time them properly. This is so I can get an accurate framerate going, and therefor framelimit/skip as well. I should know how to do this by now. Sigh.
- Fix the menu system up a little so it doesn't flicker / redraw when not needed.
- Set fbset to handle aspect ratio and RGB24

zodttd said:
Thanks for the kindness everyone!

DaveC: Since the Playstation supports multiple resolutions on the fly, I suppose the best thing to do is scale up to 480px height and keep the width in aspect ratio.

Exophase: From what DaveC mentioned, I would use NEON if fbset can't support the above, and/or for color conversion from BGR555 -> RGB565. And as I type this I just realized I can probably set the framebuffer to use RGB24 so there will be no need for color conversion in MDEC movie playback. :)

How many different resolutions does it support? I thought there was 320 x 240, 640 x 240 and 640 x 480 but I am not sure.

For those 320 x 240 could be 2X both ways, 640 x 240 would be 1X horizontal and 2x vertical. Of course 640 x 480 would be 1:1.

I an not too concerned about the video being a bit weird, just the game really. Fractional scaling look particularly bad in 2D pixel art games. Video is not so noticeable.

Maybe if you double height an even 2X then let the width fall where it does at 2X wide that might work for low res and produce clean square even sized pixels. I think the height can be either 240 or 224 for low res mode right? Even if the height ends up at 448 doubled, a slight border is preferable to irregular pixels ever so often. That causes "ripple lines" through the screen where these uneven sized pixels are.

Or maybe you could just let the user select which mode he wants in an option menu per game.

Could the emu detect what the native res is then adjust accordingly? Picodrive does this. For genesis games that are 256 wide it scales the width a bit (if enabled in config) but goes to straight 2X when in 320 x 224 mode. It does this on the fly in Sonic CD where the "3D" parts are 256 wide and the scroller parts are 320 wide.

Nice to see that you are back hacking on the Pandora again. Hope it is fun to do.

BTW: this emu isn't being detected in minimenu. It shows in XFCE but it doesn't load. I am not to concerned about it in XFCE as I don't use it but thought you should know for bug fix reasons.

How much load does the emulator actually put on the SGX atm?
Is it possible to implement native resolution rendering of 3D objects, as some PC emulators do?

Personally, I consider scaling a up a 3D rendered image always looks horrible because of the resulting jaggies. (Even worse than fractional scaling DaveC ;) )

zodttd said:
I updated the package/sources to no longer need super user privileges. Big thanks to notaz for that help!
Glad you figured it out, even when I posted you the wrong (old) script.
You can pass '-size 640 480' to ofbset to get 640x480, and '-pos 80 0' to center the output image.

Back