Putting A Cellphone In This Thing?

Don't get ahead of yourself - I think it's either-or, not all at once.

Alerino said:
welcome guys
i wonder how many fellow pandorians read the forums without signing up...
keep on with the force, don't stop 'til you get your pandora
I never thought about that. There does seem to be at least a small following on Youtube though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tickles said:
I think a camera's a must too, and why not a photo printer while we're at it? Shouldn't take them long to sort it out for me :rolleyes:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the OMAP have a nifty camera processing function?

Internalizing it wouldn't be dificult since all you'd need to do solder a usb dongle to the usb attachments directly. When you do that though, say good by to all of your usb goodness. We'd need to internalize a usb hub and this device, and that's where it get's tricky since we only have a limited amount of space. we'd need to make little attachable stands (could be as cheap as used gum or something else really nice).

I'm glad to be back here, but I'm still searching around for the info I need. I didn't preorder a Pandora, I can't afford one yet, but I will be getting one! We can close the Pandora and it'll go into a power saving mode that will let us still listen to music. Nice. Would it be possible to have usb devices still work, like a 3g modem dongle and have the blue tooth work also so that we can still receive callss or hear the ring? What about using the onboard speakers for that? I'm not the most well versed, but we gotta make sure that we can actually have all of these needed abilities so that turning the Pandora into a phone will be more practical than time wasting.

We'd also need bandwith monitors that we can apply directly to the modem to help us stay manage our palns/fee's better. It would need to distinguish between using the wifi and using other sources and track them that way. I'm an amateur developer (still learning, call me noobman) and that's not such a difficult thing to tackle. There many things that we need to think about to help manage this. I think we should at least start more dedicated brainstorming on the possible hurdles of using the device as a phone and possible solutions so that we can work more swiftly when Pandora's start shipping to everyone.

Questions should be answered like, does my modem already have working linux drivers? What issue's do people have with it on a normal linux system? Is every feature supported in linux?

I'm researching how this: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=AT%26T+USBConnect+Lightning&q_sku=sku4170225 works. I was originally interested in the Mercury device, but if everything with that is good, I won't bother with internalizing the device. I'll work on either internalizing the usb hub, or modding one to add an additional usb port to the device. I hope that would be possible, I can't imagine the space inside of the case well enough with the motherboard to think of how that would work.

If you want VoIP with an actual phone number, for free, get a Gizmo5 number, attach it to a Google Voice account, and make calls connect through the google voice website, and you can take the calls over Gizmo5 or Fring.

Unlimited calls both ways, for free (only if you live in the USA though)

I used to do this with my Samsung Jack before someone stole it...from my locked room no less...while I was asleep...

quadomatic said:
If you want VoIP with an actual phone number, for free, get a Gizmo5 number, attach it to a Google Voice account, and make calls connect through the google voice website, and you can take the calls over Gizmo5 or Fring.

Unlimited calls both ways, for free (only if you live in the USA though)

I used to do this with my Samsung Jack before someone stole it...from my locked room no less...while I was asleep...

+1

Just a minor correction, if the call originates from the states it is also free to call into Canada (this is vanilla google voice, that is). Since gizmo can also forward to skype---... oh, the possibilities :)

Back