Release Quake2 Nanogl

kudos, Pickle!

the mandatory question (excuse me if already asked): sgx clock was?

also, pass on a link to nanogl, please - i am ashamed to admit but i have failed to google it.

MDave said:
I forgot that Aliens vs Predator could now be easily ported the same way the Quake's were, with nanogl :)

http://icculus.org/avp/

Pickle, up for it? :p

Maybe...not right now anyway. I need to finish the quake stuff. Theres no point doing a half job on a bunch of things. I dont have the game data anyway, I have avp2. For some reason I thought avp1 was a 2d scroller.

An other thing to consider is that nanogl is limited opengl, its enough for the quake engine's. That said while it may work for this game, it could be missing some API.

On a side note, cpas has kind of taken to q3 and got that iphone rendering working. Its quite a bit more stable than the other versions. Another good thing its using my control code which ive purposly made universal for the 3 quakes. So basically once I get it working for one it shoulf just work with the other 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Pickle' said:
Maybe...not right now anyway. I need to finish the quake stuff. Theres no point doing a half job on a bunch of things. I dont have the game data anyway, I have avp2. For some reason I thought avp1 was a 2d scroller.

An other thing to consider is that nanogl is limited opengl, its enough for the quake engine's. That said while it may work for this game, it could be missing some API.

On a side note, cpas has kind of taken to q3 and got that iphone rendering working. Its quite a bit more stable than the other versions. Another good thing its using my control code which ive purposly made universal for the 3 quakes. So basically once I get it working for one it shoulf just work with the other 2.
Awesome! Great job on this, I can't wait to get my hands on a Pandy so I can get Homeworld onto it.

Gotta love porting.

Pickle said:
For some reason I thought avp1 was a 2d scroller.
The SNES version was a side scroller. The PC version is a FPS.

Pickle, you can checkout the latest q3 sources here :
CODE

http://github.com/Cpasjuste

Of course, your latest input control are here, i also managed to add fullscreen X rendering + X input controls working great :)

'Pickle' said:
'MDave' said:
I forgot that Aliens vs Predator could now be easily ported the same way the Quake's were, with nanogl :)

Oh, the first one is far superior to the sequel in terms of gameplay ;) if you want, I can lend you the game :) It's a directx 3 game, but has since been ported to opengl. I can't imagine the api calls being very advanced, this is like a first gen 3D hardware accelerated game :p.

'MDave' said:
'Pickle' said:
'MDave' said:

Oh, the first one is far superior to the sequel in terms of gameplay ;) if you want, I can lend you the game :) It's a directx 3 game, but has since been ported to opengl. I can't imagine the api calls being very advanced, this is like a first gen 3D hardware accelerated game :p.

Agreed, I found the original AVP to be much more immersive. It's more action-based than AVP2 which is more like an adventure program. You could dip into AVP for a quick blast around - IMHO - where AVP2 is that much slower so harder to waste just a few minutes on.

Mind you, it can be hard to waste jsut a FEW minute son AVP as you tend to get dragged in... I have at least 1 copy of the game around here, possibly more (IIRC we lost the original discs and bought AVP gold, then found the originals down the back of the sofa or something. We really OUGHT to look down the back of the sofa for everything FIRST...)

Ta

'Pickle' said:
For some reason I thought avp1 was a 2d scroller.
IIRC there was an arcade game called AVP which was a multi-player 2d scroller. It can be confusing having different games with very similar names :(

For your information, i just ported abuse to the pandora in a few minuts :p

Far out. Quack literally spent hundreds of hours getting it running well on the '2X, and I think others had tried and quit before him. Goes to show how much difference there is between the machines I guess. He did a miraculous job, I might add!

Pandora's controls will be awesome for Abuse.

No for now it use USB mouse and keyboard, i do not have nubs for now on my devel board :x

Also note that i add it working in software, it now work with OpenGL(es) :)

I saw some people that wanted to see some screenshot of q3 :

CODE

http://mydedibox.fr/_stuff/q3_dynamic.png

http://mydedibox.fr/_stuff/q3_vertex.png

So there is two screenshot, the first with dynamic lightning, which is require a lot of gpu power, i would say q3 run between 20-40 fps.

The second, with vertex lightning, run between 50-100 fps.

Note that on the pandora the rendering is more eye candy than those screenshots, gamma seems to be bad on the FB capture.

Back