Release Quake2 Nanogl

A video of this running on a CNC'd "complete" Pandora will really put the cat amongst the pigeons...

Last edited by a moderator:
'craigix' said:
So explain why doom3 will run on crappy old voodoo graphics cards then, but not the sgx?

Come on... By that definition the Pandora can run probably Windows Vista (through qemu).

IT is possible to run Doom3 on "crappy old voodoo cards" but with loads of tweaks to lower the detail levels etc :)

EDIT: Here's a nice gallery to illustrate (forgive the pun) the point.

CODE
http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_index.asp/244

I think discussing Doom3 and its feasibility is premature, what about sticking to Quake [123] and thank Pickle for his work instead? :)

@Pickle: for the vsync issue, can't you try a very simple GL app with nanoGL and see how it behaves? Something such as glxgears.

That made my day :) That looks just fantastic.

I'm jumping ahead a bit, but I'd love to see you play it for a little bit using the nubs and buttons on the pandora - just so i can get a feel for how you get used to it.

Besides that, how difficult is it to connect a mouse/keyboard of any description to this for a portable quake 3 rig?

Again with the looking forward, but I hope the Quake live developers take notice of this - anything that runs quake 3 will run the quake live client, and then you suddenly have a whole new ballgame.

Again though pickle - AWESOME work!

I have keyboard support at the moment, I could have mouse after some more debug. Ive also been trying to get into an actual game. Theres a problem with the botlib, I think its a null pointer to a function. I dont know why it just doesnt work, I dont see any changes to this that was every made on the symbian side, maybe its the way im compiling the sw? Hopefully I can it nailed down here soon.
I took out Neon for the time being, it should be in the video though. I think it was causing some instability problems.

Hmmm.... ED should get ahold of the Q3 files & your port and should make a nice HD video :p That would convince many of the non-believers... :)

Would really like to see it in action with the nubs

although it would be interesting to see doom3 running, the lower quality wouldnt be a good thing since most of the doom3 beauty is in the gfx :p the game itself is pretty meh... go into a room, you are locked, a monster comes in, kill him, blabla...
quake 3 in the other hand, oh my god! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna play it like mad on the pandora, as I do on my pc even nowadays! :) thank you!

Hey Pickle - just saw the Quake 3 demo and just wanted to state you are a god amongst men sir! Thank you so much for this and Quake 2 - excellent work and well done! :lol:

I though the other quake 3 thread was newer, but it seems its old just brought back from the dead cause the recent news.

So for those following this one and might not have read the other one. Ioquake is running on the pandora. Mainly through cpasjuste's work on SDL and opengles. He was able to interface the two (I believe from a patch he found for maemo). Then using SDL and nanoGL we were are to get it running.
It actually does more than the first quake engine I ported, since its able to get into the actual game. To be honest the average frame rate was 20. I played against one bot in most my tests.
BUT!! Take that number with a grain of salt, the settings may be low on vanilla quake and higher on ioquake, or maybe something is different in the configs.

Bottom line more testing is needed. SDL also needs some debug work. I need to get vanilla quake ingame.

But this version looks very promising. I am planning to try and use SDL in the other quakes. It will make life easier on the controls and interfacing with X.
Today is a very good day for pandora.

Pickle, the board that you have...does it have the analog nubs on it?

I'm thinkin' left-analogue/shoulder button in left hand, Logitech VX Nano in right hand. Metro journeys will never be the same.

Back