Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Gaming Laptop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some Random Other One

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

aesir911

aesir triumphs
WOW!!! Between this, all the tablets coming out, and the OCOSMOS I have no idea why anyone would still want the Panora.

Damn, that thing looks shit-hot. I wondered a while back when someone was going to try the idea of a keyboard where the buttons changed functions depending on the game, it seems so brilliantly simple but I guess the power cost was too high or the keys weren't durable enough or something. It seems like by far the best way to get a wide range functionality on a handheld. I think the Pandora has the edge over these other machines when it comes to gaming controls (and presumably price as well), but as a multi-purpose device it seems to be getting less relevant by the day.

Thanks for the link!

Hmm, in the video they say you are able to use it as an handheld. Are you supposed to use the touch screen as a replacement for the mouse then?
If so...that's horrible!

But I must say it looks rather slick and as they seem to have an certain focus on WoW for this thing it should be possible to sell a bunch of these.

Edit: I voted pandora btw, because of the superior controls and you know...I'm a fanboy! (or I would be if I ever get the damn thing :) )

Erm, the Pandora uses the touchscreen as a replacement for the mouse too, what's so horrible about it? You can always plug in one of those teeny weeny laptop mice.

Yeah I know, but I meant for playing quake 3 and the likes while using it as an handheld not as an computer sitting on a desk.
Also I am not trying to put down this machine as crap(Seems rather neat as I was saying).
I was just wondering if I somehow missed how you are supposed to be able to play quake 3 while holding this in your hands(like in the video)

Edit:bad english skills

Popcorn Dave said:
Erm, the Pandora uses the touchscreen as a replacement for the mouse too, what's so horrible about it? You can always plug in one of those teeny weeny laptop mice.

Pandora has nub`s which are usually used for mouse control, But the touchscreen can be used too.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yeah, I gotcha. Yeah, that kind of touchscreen would suck ass for actual gaming on FPSes and some other mouse-based games, so you'd need a USB mouse to get the most out of this thing (oh and isn't that convenient, Razer also sell gaming mice). I guess the interface does need work if they want it to be a serious gaming machine, even if it is cool as hell. Of all these lovely gadgets that are supposed to be able to do anything, why is the clunky, retro-looking Pandora still the only one that's got the gaming controls half right? Ah well, I'm sure the penny will drop soon as the UMPC market starts to gather speed.

aesir911 said:
WOW!!! Between this, all the tablets coming out, and the OCOSMOS I have no idea why anyone would still want the Panora.
You have the battery life on this? I'm guessing 3 hours max...

Me, I voted for some random other thing, which would be:
Game Gear
Lynx
Gameboy Pocket
DS
PSP
Caanoo (soon, hopefully :( )

Well, I guess it's more than one thing. I use different things on different days, or whichever I feel like using. I don't game on my laptop anymore, but when I did, I'd plug in a mouse and use a mouse pad, and I couldn't walk around with it; it wasn't very convenient. When I get bored with something, I start using something else for a while.

Com64 said:

I have a caanoo that i have turned on maybe 3 times. just havent had the time for it. if you are looking to purchase one, send me a pm.

aesir911 said:
Maybe because playing games/emulators with a keyboard still sucks balls and playing with a touchscreen tablet is even worse?

Try doing diagonals on that thing. I an sure platformers and fighting games would control really shitty on that thing.

Still a neat concept for a keyboard although it will suck up allot of juice just to show you where the keys are as it has to always be on.

DaveC said:
aesir911 said:
WOW!!! Between this, all the tablets coming out, and the OCOSMOS I have no idea why anyone would still want the Pandora.
Maybe because playing games/emulators with a keyboard still sucks balls and playing with a touchscreen tablet is even worse?

Try doing diagonals on that thing. I an sure platformers and fighting games would control really shitty on that thing.

Still a neat concept for a keyboard although it will suck up allot of juice just to show you where the keys are as it has to always be on.

all i'm saying is the operating specs are quickly becoming outdated. umm... that's why you buy a controller for it then, or just buy the OCOSMOS. the pandora is an amazing idea, unfortunately it just didnt have the proper funding or business knowledge behind it. tablets are not the best for emulation, but if you have been watching, they have come out with joystick like devices for them.

I agree that the lack of gaming controls (on board) sort of puts in question their pushing this as principally a gaming device (WOW excepted), but for emulation I think a huge novelty would be that the keyboard could be 'skinned' to look like the device being emulated, which would be nice!

It's probably quite far off though (if they even decide to run with it, it's only a speculative render at the moment) - maybe batteries will have evolved sufficiently to actually power this thing for any length of time, without the need to make it 10 times thicker!

aesir911 said:
Com64 said:

I have a caanoo that i have turned on maybe 3 times. just havent had the time for it. if you are looking to purchase one, send me a pm.
I've already ordered one, I'm just waiting for it. It's been two weeks already.

aesir911 said:
DaveC said:
aesir911 said:
WOW!!! Between this, all the tablets coming out, and the OCOSMOS I have no idea why anyone would still want the Pandora.

all i'm saying is the operating specs are quickly becoming outdated. umm... that's why you buy a controller for it then, or just buy the OCOSMOS. the pandora is an amazing idea, unfortunately it just didnt have the proper funding or business knowledge behind it. tablets are not the best for emulation, but if you have been watching, they have come out with joystick like devices for them.

I belive we have heard far too many posts that the Pandora is outdated. First off using an external controller on any device completly defeats the purpose and novelty of the Pandora or any gaming device, but if it does not bother you than why are you on these forums? Get a netbook and move on. Second off Tablets are not the best for emulation and if you mean that external analog stick for the iPad than good luck because it looks pretty bad but if you want to settle go ahead :ph34r: . I know you all think that these new devices seem like the future and the Pandora is dead but so far nobody has announced a new device that I would want over it they always compromise I mean if the OCOSMOS had one D-Pad and 4 front buttons than ya I could see that, but every time a device is announced that looks like it could replace the Pandora the novelty and the purpose of it being a portable gaming device just gets ruined because you have to settle for bad controls or an external controller.

This Razer thingy is really a slick device .. but I think its more of a "this is what Pandora 2 could be like" situation than a "shit, I'm dumping Pandora and becoming a Windows 7 whore" type of situation.

I mean, Pandora2 could *easily* move in this direction, imho. Capacitive touchscreen, and an LCD under the keymat .. feasible! :)

TylerAW said:
aesir911 said:
DaveC said:
aesir911 said:

I belive we have heard far too many posts that the Pandora is outdated. First off using an external controller on any device completly defeats the purpose and novelty of the Pandora or any gaming device, but if it does not bother you than why are you on these forums? Get a netbook and move on. Second off Tablets are not the best for emulation and if you mean that external analog stick for the iPad than good luck because it looks pretty bad but if you want to settle go ahead :ph34r: . I know you all think that these new devices seem like the future and the Pandora is dead but so far nobody has announced a new device that I would want over it they always compromise I mean if the OCOSMOS had one D-Pad and 4 front buttons than ya I could see that, but every time a device is announced that looks like it could replace the Pandora the novelty and the purpose of it being a portable gaming device just gets ruined because you have to settle for bad controls or an external controller.

I agree with you, it's just frustrating that it is taking so long to be made. (and i meant the specs of the pandora RAM and storage were outdated, not the idea of it). Just looking for something a little bit better. I love the community and the layout of it, I just think it has some pretty shoddy components in it (granted they are better then what they could have been, especially from such a small corporation).

Well, one thing you need to be aware of:
It's 7inch... so as big as a normal netbook... portable yes, but not pocketable.

Since I have the Pandora for quick eMail and webbrowsing on-the-go, I haven't really used my Acer Aspire One anymore... and this thing is about as big.

EvilDragon said:
Well, one thing you need to be aware of:
It's 7inch... so as big as a normal netbook... portable yes, but not pocketable.

Since I have the Pandora for quick eMail and webbrowsing on-the-go, I haven't really used my Acer Aspire One anymore... and this thing is about as big.

question, is there anyway you will be upgrading the specs for the next batch of pandoras, or is there a way to upgrade it myself (successfully without fail or ruining the device). like better RAM, memory, and processor? RAM is the main thing holding me back from purchasing one. i love the community around it and the functionality of the device, the specs of it just seems a bit shoddy.

As has been discussed to death many times over, only those with a long history of soldering practice and the right tools could maybe possibly consider thinking about changing things. That assumes you can get ahold of a larger RAM package (hint, it wouldn't be easy, or cheap)
As those with Pandoras can attest, 256MB is actually a LOT of RAM. Whatever you think you need that much RAM for, you don't. There are some restrictions, yeah: you can't open dozens of tabs in Firefox or Chrome; can't edit really large and complex images; ... ok, those're really the only things I can think of. There's kind of a plateau when it comes to RAM: below this level, there are things you really can't do; above this level, you can do anything, it simply is that the more RAM you have, the more of these things you can do at once.

Back