Scummvm For The Gp32 0.5.1 - Scummy Alpha

Enslaved posted on May 31 2004 at 03:18 PM said:
Well as long as the saves are compatible with the 2 (that is if the saves work on the one I have :p).
Well the builds out are based on 0.5.1, the current code is based on 0.7.0 (and broken, but that's a side note ;)).

Upgrading saves should not be an issue these days as ScummVM for the GP32 now uses the same common save code with all the main ports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear your still working on it and that it's improving.
Good work and good luck DJWillis!
See ya later

Maybe I should have posted this in the "official" scummvm thread over at the beta testing section, but that hasn't gotten any replies for almost a month so I figured I'd do it here.

Anyway, there's this problem I get when I use the "new" ScummVM beta with OGG support by DJWillis. I play Monkey Island on it, and sometimes after I've been playing for a while, it suddenly refuses to save and all of my previous saves (including the autosaves) are erased. This has happened about 4 times already, and it's quite annoying, to say the least.

The message that I get is something like "Failed to save to *something*:\GPMM\SCUMMVM\MONKEY\*something*.s01"

This is after I've already been playing for a while and saved several times before (and the game also autosaved quite a few times).

I have 26mbs left in my SMC, so I don't think it's a space issue, and my batteries were fresh. Also, I did not restructure the files on the smc in any way; I was on vacation without access to a computer.

It doesn't always erase EVERYTHING either; once I noticed that it erased only the autosaves, but it didn't erase the file that I had saved myself, and I could still save.
I quickly turned the GP32 off after that, because I was afraid that if I kept it on any longer it would erase my other saved file too.

Was I right? Does/did anybody else ever have this problem? :mellow:

Yup, same Problem with Day of Tentacle. I don't know how to fix it...
:eek:,

Ok, not seen this myself or in any of the testers setups.

Can you guys give me more info, the scene that you where on at the time etc...

That would really help however I don't thing there is that much I can do short term as that code used for the 0.5.1 Alpha does not look anything like the current file system code :D.

Oh, and posting it to the beta thread would have been much more helpfull as that is what it's there for and I get emails on all posts to it and read them but I don't always just lurk in the forums on the off chance of a post ;).

Well, it was usually after I had played a fair while, as I said. One time I was in the woods after just finding the Lost Treasure of Melee Island, the other I was at the Governor's Mansion after stealing the Idol (I had already done the other quest). Another time it was just after the beginning of Part 2 that it happened.

I think, as I said in my previous message, it might have had something to do with the AMOUNT of saves that it made PER SESSION; that is, after it made a certain number of saves, it just maxed out or something maybe...

When I played it in short intervals, the problem didn't occur. I do think that it happened quicker when I saved more often, and also it might have something to do with the autosaving. That was usually how it happened; I'd get a box saying that the autosave had failed to save, and USUALLY all of my saves would be deleted, except one time when I didn't get the message, and only my autosaves were deleted but my regular saves were still there.

So how's progress of the new ScummVM going? ;)

P.S. Do you know how I can get sound to work with the OLD version of Scumm for the GP32? Do I just put OGG files in or what? Thanks...

Well, it was usually after I had played a fair while <snip>...

When I played it in short intervals, the problem didn't occur. I do think that it happened quicker when I saved more often, and also it might have something to do with the autosaving. That was usually how it happened; I'd get a box saying that the autosave had failed to save, and USUALLY all of my saves would be deleted, except one time when I didn't get the message, and only my autosaves were deleted but my regular saves were still there.

Hmmm, ok, I'll look into that in the new code to see if the problem still exists. I have a strong suspicion as to what might haves caused that.

So how's progress of the new ScummVM going? ;)

Slowly, I have no working GP32 at the moment so testing is a bitch :eek: and I have been spending a LOT of my development time helping on other projects.

P.S. Do you know how I can get sound to work with the OLD version of Scumm for the GP32? Do I just put OGG files in or what? Thanks...

Doh!, the OLD version of ScummVM DID NOT support OGG or any compressed audio. That was the whole point of this new release. It was also based on ScummVM 0.3.1 so the game support was far far less accurate and complete.

Considering ScummVM for the GP32 is still largely being done by me on my own expect a new release whenever I get around to it and not before ;). I have to say that some of the other projects are more interesting but I have not stopped work on this by a LONG way.

Slowly, I have no working GP32 at the moment so testing is a bitch ohmy.gif and I have been spending a LOT of my development time helping on other projects.

i could test it for you... :unsure: :D

I have to say that some of the other projects are more interesting but I have not stopped work on this by a LONG way.

Please do not stop working on the project. :( :blink:

I would do my best to test it as well, if the chance were offered to me... unfortunately I'm not exactly free this summer, but I'm also really anxious to see the project move ahead and for the bug to be fixed. :) PM if you're interested...

Oh, and DJWillis; the cursor speed is just fine in the menu, not too slow, not too fast. It's when things start slowing down when playing a game that it gets to be a bit of a problem. ;)

Personally, I always found the cursor in the older version of ScummVM a bit too fast; too easy to miss small objects with it.

I would do my best to test it as well, if the chance were offered to me... unfortunately I'm not exactly free this summer, but I'm also really anxious to see the project move ahead and for the bug to be fixed. :)  PM if you're interested...

Thanks for all the offers but I have some very good testers who have been a great help. Not looking for anymore at the moment as it starts to become hard to get the sort of feedback I need.

Oh, and DJWillis; the cursor speed is just fine in the menu, not too slow, not too fast.  It's when things start slowing down when playing a game that it gets to be a bit of a problem.  ;)

Personally, I always found the cursor in the older version of ScummVM a bit too fast; too easy to miss small objects with it.

Thanks, current code has the cursor speed somewhere in between the old and new versions. It's quicker but not AS quick. It does still slow down when in games as the cursor is DIRECTLY tied to the core engine load, that should get better as more work is done on the backend.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey DJWillis any updates?
Or have you not had enought time/given up...

I'd like to see more of this emulator... :)

problem is.... Dott takes up too much room

and if only "the dig" wroked..... that game was so cool

I want to hear news about this too :)
want to play my favorite adventures on the gp32

Thanks who ever bumped this, after reading the thread I got nostalgia and had to play Monkey Island 1 again :D, I'm going to try Loom as well.

Thanks who ever bumped this, after reading the thread I got nostalgia and had to play Monkey Island 1 again :D, I'm going to try Loom as well.
Thanks...
I was hoping that at least if he has stopped the project he would release the source code so another Dev might carry on...

But i am actually being impatient right now as I only posted this a couple of days ago and I am already acting If he has completely lef the scene?...

hmm, I really hope someone takes this up again. I completed Monkey Island one and DOTT, but people keep telling me how great the sound in monkey island is :(

I'm gonna start Sam and Max soon.

Back