Slackware for Pandora 14.1

Manuals definitely explain "user experience" as that's what they're designed to do.. Help personalise the "user experience" but in any case...

You can find reviews of slackware on the Pandora all through google http://bfy.tw/1Da2 and if you look through this thread there's plenty of "user experience" cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, i have a question - how does one install the oracle Java on Slackware for pandora ?

I followed the instructions for a desktop version of Slackware 14.1 but it did not work - I managed to build the package but even after installing it java is not recognized in the terminal... any idea what to do ?

This is gonna be a noob question, but do things like game emulators run faster when running under Slackware?

This is gonna be a noob question, but do things like game emulators run faster when running under Slackware?
No, not really. Why should they ? The bottleneck for emulation is usually CPU and/or GPU performance, SLackware does not magically make your Pandora more powerful.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/SOLEIL#SOJA

About Slackware's advantages over Zaxxon, the first that comes to my mind is the far better bluetooth support.

There's more but my opinion is biased ;^) .

Forgot to mention that you have to log out after installing java.

Next login will set env variables.

Java sucks btw.
one more question. I seem to lose frequently the hardware clock settnigs and come back to 2000 because of that. Why is this happening ? Is it just me or is it a Slackware issue ?

I have a rebuild mame4all which is faster on the OP, but just because it's recompiled with a newer GCC, and maybe more optimizations.

Statically linked app will not be faster, dynamic ones may be.

one more question. I seem to lose frequently the hardware clock settnigs and come back to 2000 because of that. Why is this happening ? Is it just me or is it a Slackware issue ?
It's just you.

Check the padding of your battery, it's probably loose so the clock is reset.

I also have a problem with the clock. After fresh start the clock is 2h back (1h in winter time). Every time      I set to actual time but on next start I have the same result. When shutting down I get the message " time is in the future". No problem with SZ (which I don't use very often). Setting other time zone won't help.

I updated to latest kernel so its 14.1.10 I guess. Kernel is 3.2.67.

Another one is the wlan LED : When having used the internal wlan and switching off wlan again and then I go to sleep mode all seems ok. Switching on again from sleep mode the LED goes on but wlan is off. This was in last version too. These are minor bugs for me but a little annoying.

Finally I got a chance to try Slackware on Pandora.  What a nice piece of work Linux-Swat!  Thank you.

Quick question:  How do you change the time?

I updated to latest kernel so its 14.1.10 I guess. Kernel is 3.2.67.

Another one is the wlan LED : When having used the internal wlan and switching off wlan again and then I go to sleep mode all seems ok. Switching on again from sleep mode the LED goes on but wlan is off. This was in last version too. These are minor bugs for me but a little annoying.

Yup, I wait for the next stable Slackware to work back on this.

Finally I got a chance to try Slackware on Pandora.  What a nice piece of work Linux-Swat!  Thank you.

Quick question:  How do you change the time?

You have the date/time settings in the System menu.

Some questions :

1. how can I get a bell sound in a shell script, so I get info when its finished ?

2. Qupzilla is not working with https , what can I do ?

3. How     can I autostart a program (e.g. my alarm prog)

Thanks for help

Joachim

1. there is no system bell but you can use aplay to play a sound file

2. dunno. Recompile it or use the repo's pnd maybe

3. in the Xfce parameters menu, you have a startup settings

1. thanks for info, doing so right now

2. pnd gives error lib not found

3. when running XFCE I can't load KAlarm from autostartsettings, are there other options ?

thanks for quick response

2. so it's linked to zaxxon libs, I guess you have to recompile it with sbopkg

3. and it works if you manually launch it ?

3.  I can start it from menu or even in terminal by just typing kalarm. Getting some warnings but works by starting in terminal. Very nice.

Back