Slackware for Pandora 14.1

I made a topic here

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/17859-sdr-on-pandora//URL]

to use a DVB-T stick for listening to FM radio and it works but the stick has no drivers in Slackware so it cannot be used for TV. Is there a chance to get the drivers for Slackware with an easy install/remove option (because SDR seems only to work without the driver) ?

My stick has RTL2832U and R820T tuner (identified by Slackware as RTL2838)

I found 2 links

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/RealTek_RTL2832U

and here

http://forums.openpli.org/topic/20899-rtl2832u-chipset-support-proposal/page-6?p=329670#entry329670

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea.

I install the standard Slackware firmware pack + Zaxxon's one.

Does it work with Zaxxon ?

I have not tried SZ yet. Somewhere in the net was the info that Linux 3.6.11 is not supporting the R820 tuner so maybe not without manual fiddling.

Edit : tried with SZ 1.60 and is not working. Stick is detected but no driver loaded.

Some manual stuff may be required.

Did you search google for R820 tuner linux ?

I checked and found some who tried in Ubuntu with kernel 3.8 and up because it seems the driver is not there in earlier versions.

Here is one who tried

http://ednolo.alumnos.upv.es/?p=1737

Is there hope for pandora ?

As mentioned there was told not to use the system driver when also using the stick as SDR (SDR uses raw data) so maybe better not try ?

I have no idea here.

If a backport is needed (we use 3.2.x) you should ask notaz in the 3.2 kernel thread.

I've tried to get GLES up and running on Slackware. I don't know whether this is normal, or not:

More often than not the graphics simply do not initialize. When they do, they crash within half an hour, with luck they last longer...

dmesg told me of graphics reinit attempts, which incidentally slow the unit so much it practically needs to be rebooted.

I then modified the kernel driver so it no longer attempts HW reinit, but naturally that is simply a rude fix to avoid loosing any work due to a lockup, not a solution.

Its a GHz unit and the driver I've mostly messed with is version 1.6.13977. The .so:s were the last set for that version and seemed to be the closest to "being recommended" of them all...

I'd rather disable the whole GL than have a crashing one, but naturally working EGL support would be the cooler option...

The real odd and ugly thing is that when I did a "foolproof" test for graphics: added both eglinfo and eglgears to my xinitrc, the graphics come up on some bootups and do not appear on most... foobar... eglinfo always works, but the gears won't start turning and when they don't eglinfo stops working on the next run too.

So lets start with the bottom line: is this even SUPPOSED to work, is it worth even bothering with...?

I ship the standard driver as default, and notaz SGX package is compatible.

I myself never experienced 3D trouble with .pnd using it.

OK, thanks for the info, then I need to dig into this... I wish this were be easier to debug...

The libraries (libGL*)  are apparently closed source, so they cannot be the issue.

I got the kernel module from openpandora git and compiled it myself, but before I disabled the HW reinit I had not made changes to that (and I can revert that change easily, of course).

But my kernel is custom and I might be missing something or added something conflicting in the config. So I guess that's where to start... it would be easy to revert back to original, but at this point my Pandora won't even boot without some extra modules any more, so this has to be done the harder way... darn... :).

Did you compile the kernel/module with the toolchain ?

Which SL4P rootfs version are you using ?

Yes, I've used the build system provided with SL4P... the newer GCC&Co. live in /usr/local/gccX. (My /usr/local looks like *beep* by now :-( ).

I use the same environment for compiling the kernel, its modules and the sgx driver.

Like I said: sgx driver from git, then checkout of branch 1.6.16.3977. Kernel is actually the 14.0 stock, I believe, aside from my own little changes which should not affect here. (Mainly keyboard layout, a couple of related /proc entries to read and set settings for that layout... I forget whatall I've done there exactly, but definitely no gpu-related things...).

I'll try the "default" sgx code one more time since I just did a change to /etc/powervr.ini.

That version would be origin/1.4.14.2616 and 4.00.00.01 for the libs unless I misunderstood.

Currently I'm on the aforesaid 1.6.16.3977 and 4.03.00.02 which was recomended for 1GHz on the forums.

After digging I just realized I'm on SL4P14.0, not 14.1. So not the latest and greatest Slackware here and I'm sorry I posted on a thread for 14.1... I now remember I couldn't compile a working kernel in 14.1, which was still in beta at the time, so I reverted to 14.0. This has not been a problem so far, because every Slackware I ever ran soon starts running most of the relevant stuff from /usr/local... until something like libc is so outdated there's no easy escape ;-).

So: are there improvements that you are aware of to this issue in 14.1 SW stack: kernel? X11?

Upgrading the whole OS for this feels massive...

Basically what I'm up to is this: I've already successfully compiled the fresh WebKitGTK2.8.0. That thing supports (in fact, even if you disable the support you cannot compile it outofthebox without... grrr....) youguessedit: opengles2. SINCE support for it it is now compiled there and it took a good day and a half to two days (and that does NOT include the dependencies now cluttering my local...) to compile I would like it to work too. Not just revert to desktopGL mesa or X11 calls... which I can do by playing dirty with the libs ;-). So this is nice to have but oh so tempting... And I have little expectations with regards to performance, since framerates will not be The Thing here... Writing this I'm starting to wonder whether a Thing even exists ;-).

I'm now starting to see that this switch might not be as straightforward as I hoped...

Just a moment ago I read the actual documentation in the Wiki (BLIMEY! desperate times...) and realized /etc/powervr.ini might affect in my case, because I have zero interest in rendering full screen so some X11 awareness is a must. I suppose mostly Pandora people run stuff full screen when stuff gets accelerated. I tried what I though would be the proper setting but no help there so far.

I'm starting to see, though, that my environment is likely giving grief, for example my window manager (a modified dwm) starts everything "minimized" (i.e. on another tab). None of these things would cause issues if I could get the source, debug and fix the libs I'm calling, but since the EGL stuff in /usr/lib is closed source I have pretty much zero visibility to fix things...  I now recall I had to do surgery to SDL too to get the framebuffer properly "boxed" and hidden when in another tab (windowed is too fancy a term for a tabbed "window" manager). If EGL fails because of similar assumptions from whoever wrote it there's little I can do... maybe a wrapper, though... ;-).

Thanks for your help. I resume this in GLES forum, though at the moment I think unless someone has a _very_ good idea I'll change my focus to something else now...

(Upgrading the whole system is too much right now - I've "branched" so far I need a longer holiday to get a new root image up and running and all my mods and local stuff migrated. This is not THAT critical, more of a geek-in-me-wants-to-have thing ;-)

I tried to copy Slackware from 32Gb to 64GB card with dd.

First it showed me a 32GB card in df and gparted but worked. Then I made 2 partitions with gparted both 32GB and did dd again. Now  I used gparted to delete the 2nd        and made the first 64GB again. In gparted it seems ok but df tells me I get only 32 GB on the partition. What can I do. I dont want to install all again.

If I have to reinstall, can I just copy some folders (home, bin, sbin etc) to get the old settings/progs on my new card?

Steps what i do when i need a bigger copy of mine Slackware:

-empty the 64gb Card with Gparted mean write a new Fat Table and leave it empty.

-copy the Slackware Partition with dd

-expand the Slackware Partition with Gparted on your PC or from Zaxxon,not from the working Slackware Filesystem on the Pandora.

-check in Gparted the Bootflag of the Partition

-restart the Pandora and and enjoy your Slackware on the 64GB Card.

Things what can happen:

-Slackware normaly rekognize that anything have changed and run fshk(or near) automatic.

After twice rebooting should Slackware use anything normal ;)

-Sometimes when the Filesystem is not ok must you type the Root Password to login into a minimal System and must run this fsck Command manual.

After doing that Slackware should be boot normal again then.

Things what i would try in your Case:

-run as su this Fsck command manual in the Terminal

-or resize your Partition again from another Gparted,not the Buildin on the running Filesystem.

-or maybe you can make a Tarfile of your complete Filesystem and extract this on a clean 64GB Partition.

and the last Way what i would try first,rewrite the Fat Table again with Fdisk and without repartitionating but beware with Fdisk you can Rescue or Destroy some Things.

Good Luck ;)

Slackware is realy a Great System for the OpenPandora,i am glad to have it too ;)

It's possible to avoid dd using :

find $SOURCE -print -depth | cpio -pdmu $TARGET

Because dd was not working I installed the latest version and its working. What I got a problem was the language setting. I did export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 but got no german menus. Did I something wrong? Last version worked with this setting.

As the rest seems ok, how can I get the installed software from my old card on the new one (KDE etc). Is it possible without new installation?

Thanks for the kind help.

edit

2 problems seem to have gone with new version

- when pausing mplayer and going to sleep (power switch to the right)

after resume

a) Wlan LED went on

B) time changed (+ 1h in winter time, +2h in summer time)

seems ok now

I can have the menu in german using the lang.sh modification.

And I didn't managed to get the led on.

After a new install the language setting is working. So now how do I copy all the installed software from the old card (if possible)?

Back