Smoking

Cheers for the supportive words. For the past few years of wanting to give up, I'd always lived to the 'just one will not make any difference' philosophy and it always put me back to square one. I read an interesting article recently that made me adamant that I don't want to put any nictotine in my system by any one-off cig-ar-ett-es.

Smoking article

sam fisher posted on Aug 7 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
You are only hooked if you are lazy and week willed.

For f-sake you do half make so many idiotic sweeping generalisations on things you know nothing about, please do us a favour and keep quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I *think* Sam F was referring to starting smoking rather than anything else.

Myself, I started smoking when I was drunk. And then I started smoking again, when I got drunk again. And again. And then one morning I woke up as a smoker, with a hangover.

ste_167 posted on Aug 7 2006 at 01:28 PM said:

Myself, I started smoking when I was drunk. And then I started smoking again, when I got drunk again. And again. And then one morning I woke up as a smoker, with a hangover.

If you have only given up smoking in the past week i would stongly advise staying away from pubs/clubs
with a lot of people, the hardest association to break is drink and moron it easily re-triggers cravings, and when your drunk your good intentions tend to go out the window ;).. If your going to a pub use the non-smoking section, not that many pubs have one.

ste_167 posted on Aug 7 2006 at 11:37 AM said:
So by your stats, your class had less smokers in it than the majority of other ones in your school..??
Actually, yes, the majority of them all smoke, in the other classes. Damn pesky smoking year 7 bastards!

LHC posted on Aug 7 2006 at 11:43 AM said:
sam fisher posted on Aug 7 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
You are only hooked if you are lazy and week willed. As much of the youth today is. Literally 97% of my school smokes. 90% of my year 11 tutor group. 3 of us didn't. All the rest did.
The people at your school must be rubbish.
Damn straight they are, they struggle to get D's! A fucking D at GCSE. Thats hardly hard to get.

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Aug 7 2006 at 12:36 PM said:
Congratulations. Hang in there and never give in to that idea that 'just one will not make any difference' that haunts anyone trying to break an addiction. You are one third to halfway there.
You only have to do a quick search to find that nicotine is, more often than not, considered one of the hardest, if not the hardest, addiction to break. The fact that it is legal and available makes it even harder to quit.
To say people are lazy and weak when dealing with addiction when you have no experience of it is a little presumptuous. If you don't know what you are talking about STFU.
Actually, its true. I know it must be hard but if you just have the will power to say 'NO' to your self whenever you want one till the nicotine is eventually gone, then you will be ok. If you are one of those people on a calorie controlled diet and yet you keep going 'Just one chocolate bar wont matter' and then you are eating too much then you would also fail at quitting smoking. This is because they have no willpower.

ste_167 posted on Aug 7 2006 at 01:28 PM said:

It was a double entendre. If people don't start, or start and then stop straight away then they are much better off. There is no benefit to smoking. Also, skysnapper, I don't smoke. I probably never will. As I have no wish to decrease my life span or quality of life. So I can only reiterate what I have been told by others. So I will make as many idiotic sweeping generalisations as want. As its all I know.

How can you be hooked on something you have not started ? I dont think you understand the meaning of 'double entendre' from your misuse of it :lol: .
Smoking is a chemical addiction not comparable to dieting. Reiterating what you are told by others is best done once you have made some effort to confirm what you have been told. Unless you are a parrot.

This all reminds me that I myself have a slight addiction.

I use an inhaler called Benzedrex, particularly for when I have a cold. The thing I usually get is clogged sinuses, but I'm a bit of a special case as my sinuses aren't clogged with snot like most people, but they rather get inflamed temporarily, preventing me from breathing. This is terrible as nearly nothing helped, and while I was sick I never got any sleep.

This inhaler expands the cavities, thus allowing me to breath. It's amazing. I really wouldn't know what to do without it.....however, my uses for it have now stemmed beyond only using it for a cold remedy. I now use it almost every night before sleeping to clear up my nostril (usually only one needs it), and in the early hours of the morning around 5 or 7AM.

This is an addiciton. My sinuses have become dependant on this shit, and it's not good.

Now I have to decide. Should I ween myself off? Or allow it to put holes in my sinus?

I guess it's time to stop.

A mate of mine's dad has lost his sense of smell from overuse of an inhaler like that. It was great when we were young because we could smoke in his house without him knowing if we wafted the visible clouds.

I'd really try to ween yourself off it. It's not a physical addiction after all, is it? Could you try using Vicks Vapour Rub (like heroin addicts use methadone)?

Well, it seems all I really need to do is rid myself of the container for a few nights, and I'll be alright. I have plenty of will power anyway.

A few nights of discomfort before I go to sleep is the cost of stopping. It's worth it, no?

I'd say so. Although, it's not nice having sleep breathing through your mouth only. I tend imagine that's when the spiders see their chance to drink..

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 7 2006 at 03:55 PM said:
I have to weigh it out. Quite frankly, I'd rather have 2-3 nights with discomfort than holes in my septum :rolleyes:

WHY??????????????

We all gotta die someday....and from something....its the worst just dying from nothing because you're too old!! If I ever get too old, and still have nothing majorly wrong with me (90+), I just want somebody to kill me...

DSR

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Aug 7 2006 at 03:31 PM said:
How can you be hooked on something you have not started ? I dont think you understand the meaning of 'double entendre' from your misuse of it :lol: .
Smoking is a chemical addiction not comparable to dieting. Reiterating what you are told by others is best done once you have made some effort to confirm what you have been told. Unless you are a parrot.
I was comparing the fact that the bodies chemical and physical need to EAT and saying no to that is like saying no to a moron, in your head.

As far as I knew Double Entendre meant something with a obvious and blunt meaning but a more subtle hidden meaning, which of course in french it spells 'Double Meaning'. So I believe that I used it appropriately with my first will power statement. Please correct me if I am wrong.

dsraa posted on Aug 7 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 7 2006 at 03:55 PM said:
I have to weigh it out. Quite frankly, I'd rather have 2-3 nights with discomfort than holes in my septum :rolleyes:

WHY??????????????

We all gotta die someday....and from something....its the worst just dying from nothing because you're too old!! If I ever get too old, and still have nothing majorly wrong with me (90+), I just want somebody to kill me...

DSR
ya def. So if you'll excuse me, since im dying someday, Im going to get some needles. If I don't OD this time, I'll have another go!

It's no fun having sinus issues later in life. I'd rather just lay off this inhaler for a bit.

edit: besides, when I DO have a cold, it would suck to be immune to the shit. You know how you gradually need more and more of a drug/medication since you begin to develop a tolerance? Yeah, that would really be awful.

ste_167 posted on Aug 7 2006 at 05:21 AM said:
It's shocking that 16 year olds are legally allowed to buy them. I'd suggest 21 would be a better legal age, but that's not going to happen. We'll continue to see kids getting hooked on a killer habit.

16? Where are you located? Where I live nobody can sell tobacco products to minors, and everyone selling tobacco products is required to card anyone buying them who look as if they might be under 40.

sam fisher posted on Aug 7 2006 at 08:16 PM said:
It's England mate. Once again, I must point out that there are other places other than America, that exist on this Earth.

I'm not denying that, I just wasn't aware of the laws around that area. Hence my question "where are you located".

sam fisher posted on Aug 7 2006 at 09:10 PM said:
Okey dokey. It just seemed that you had so much disbelief that this was possible. Round here they dont even card people who look around 13 at most!

'Round here they card for anything that might even possibly be misused by a minor. I even got carded for trying to buy a can of black spraypaint at the local K-Mart.

Back