Some more of my ideas

No experience with that. With no metal inserted the reinfoced material will be still a lot stronger, zhan the non reinforced plastic.

I could of to ways to get  thread inthe reinforced material:

1) cutting thread, which will break the "force lines" (think of ot like the trunk of a tree, where you break the layers of wood when you would cut a thread there)

2) put a "fake" screw inside the mold, which you unscrew before removing the part from the mold. This will be a good enoght tread to last long, I think. But perhaps still to expensive, because it slows down the process "remove the part from the mold.

When using inserted metal parts, you could easily run into problem like braeking things at the corners of the metal...

EDIT (damn, too slow)

Metal inserts: (something like this, but in smaler sizes)

http://shop1.r-g.de/art/305136

But must be carefully construkted and placed inside the resin to last long enought. Biggest risk is that the whole insert braes "free".

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't get worse than what we have now.

Screws are horrible and self destructing if used several times.

It can't get worse than what we have now.

Screws are horrible and self destructing if used several times.
Depends on the kind of thread and the threaded sleeve where it is screwed in.

We just have the wrong kind of thread and no threaded sleeve at all.

I was thinking of something that just clicks together as a means to be tool-less.
Those break even MORE easily than screws.
Screw + metal insert is the best option
+1

I also had this in mind. Instead of simply drill the screws into the plastic (which lead to destroyed screwsinks onto alot of Pandora, including my own), use metal inserts to keep the screws in place and have a stable solution.

insert_molding.jpg

It's literally adding a metal insert with machine screw threadings.. makes it more serviceable as it's not using a pointed screw driving directly into plastic.

I'll be for it as long as it doesn't add to thickness of the device.
Yes, something like this. :) Also, the plastic around the inserts seems to be very thick and durable, very nice.

It's safe to assume that everyone has access to a standard screwdriver.

I wouldn't mind if you would need to remove a few screws to replace the battery either - it's not something you need to do often, and even if you are one of those people who go on long camping trips without access to any electricity, so they bring a few spare batteries, it's not a big deal to have to take a small screwdriver with you as well - if you're lucky, the swiss army knife you take with you on your camping trip already has the right screwdriver.

if you're lucky, the swiss army knife you take with you on your camping trip already has the right screwdriver.
That's exactly what I do.

The screws of current Pandora are perfect for Swiss Army Knifes.

Every time I can't find the screwdriver (or EvilDragon has grabbed it) I use my Swiss Army Knife to do the Pandora repairs :) .

But forget it.

Screws for battery are a bad idea.

Really.

I'm not saying we need screws for the battery lid. If there's no reason to do that, then don't do it!

I'm just saying that I could live with that, if it were needed for something (e.g. to get a nicer case material, a stronger case, more robust battery contacts or whatever). But if there's no reason to do it, of course it's better to avoid screws.

I'm not saying we need screws for the battery lid. If there's no reason to do that, then don't do it!

I'm just saying that I could live with that, if it were needed for something (e.g. to get a nicer case material, a stronger case, more robust battery contacts or whatever). But if there's no reason to do it, of course it's better to avoid screws.
Good :) .

I don't think It's a secret that there are currently no plans to use screws for the battery lid.

We all want to swap batteries.

:)

I don't think It's a secret that there are currently no plans to use screws for the battery lid.

For 5mm less in hight I would open up the case every time I change the battery. (but that's because my main use is desktop/notebook replace)

We are all addicts. ;)

Talking about metal insterts: it would say, make the other end of the stylus the screwdriver for the Pandora.
Simple but brilliant idea!

It would make hardware hacks more smooth and even screws in the battery lid wouldn't cause any inconveniences then.

For 5mm less in hight I would open up the case every time I change the battery. (but that's because my main use is desktop/notebook replace)
5mm??

That's a reduction of 50%.

Don't think it's possible.

I also use it for Notebook replacement.

But I'm fine with the size.

Also remember we have to put the 4 shoulder buttons somewhere.

Every time I can't find the screwdriver (or EvilDragon has grabbed it) I use my Swiss Army Knife to do the Pandora repairs :) .

That's why the screws on all of my Pandoras are screwed :)
No.

Pandora screws are pretty bad, especially the old ones.

Open them up several times (sometimes even once) and they don't look nice any more.

We are all addicts. ;)

Talking about metal insterts: it would say, make the other end of the stylus the screwdriver for the Pandora.

It would make hardware hacks more smooth and even screws in the battery lid wouldn't cause any inconveniences then.
Yeah.  Also, in the US nowaday, you won't get too far with a Swiss Army Knire in the airport before you get screwed by the TSA :)

We are all addicts. ;)

Yeah.  Also, in the US nowaday, you won't get too far with a Swiss Army Knire in the airport before you get screwed by the TSA :)
I want a pencil in the stylus.

(Also it's not as dangerous as a screwdriver ;) )

5mm??

That's a reduction of 50%.

Don't think it's possible.

I also use it for Notebook replacement.

But I'm fine with the size.

Also remember we have to put the 4 shoulder buttons somewhere.
OK, was not clear here I ment in total. I thought mainly the extra thickness you need by the separation layer between the board and the battery and the extra package the batery needs when replaced frequently. If the change only happens to you, when replace e defective battery, I even would thing desoldering for exchange is not a to high price (when gaining something from it (less thickness, more capacity).

As for the shoulder buttons: what about a about a 2-way rockerswitch on each side. (or do we need two buttons pressed on the same side at the same time)

The problem I see with having the opposite end of the stylus as a screwdriver is that it would stop it being the lump you use to fish the stylus out of the slot, and stop it being the lump that prevents the stylus from being forced too far into the mechanism and breaking it.

Back