Some more of my ideas

^ Surely you mean ends in a 5432 ?

The info's all there on the first duckduckgo result

Last edited by a moderator:
otherwise we will end up again with a expencive niche device that barely finds new customers
The Pandora may be niche but it is still outselling demand: EvilDragon literally cannot make them fast enough, even at the current price. Just because you think it is too expensive and wouldn't buy it doesn't mean there isn't someone behind you who would gladly snap it up.

can you make a model with no wifi or bluetooth to add room for better parts like a usb3 bus? I don't use wireless and when I do I would prefer to use a usb device anyways.

really durable unbreakable connection to the Pandora power adapter.  on the mainboard.

why not add some fast nand for the swap file?

is there room for a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip?

I'm sure you guys will do great, like the first one. Really what I would like more than anything is a system for 100$ that is going to be around for the next 30 years... ugh technology

Not many devices have them and I would like to experiment and learn with one. (if they don't add to much to the price) Also it would be nice so that if someone steals my new XXX$ {"dragonfly"or R-66Y as I will name mine} I know that the sd cards were encrypted and there was a login password. So there going to have to reformat the sd cards and download there own pnds if the want to play + reflash the firmware.

I have encrypted with grub before but the key was plain text in the loader. Correct me if I am wrong but then you would not have to have to key in plain text anywhere?  I use the true crypt pnd now but it takes a while to boot and everything. May be easier with a TPM chip and a little script.

Next just program the uboot with a menu config access like a BIOS with the option for a u-boot password and were ahead of time for arm? To bad it's not called prometheus

With the uboot there would have to be a recovery method because people would be locking themselves out of there own systems... Thats why I didn't recommend it. And that's in the case that you built it right with the u boot on it's own protected chip, if it was on the nand along the OS then you could us the usb or sd method to just re-flash the the nand so it wouldn't be any different then the os password in terms of protecting the pandora from theft.  I was betting that would require designing and just doesn't seem worth the time/cost. Arm processors have a small amount of code that allows them to find boot code in three areas nand, sd, and usb right? It would be like those business laptops that once that bios password was lost or the bios got interrupted during a flash it turned into a nightmare...

Which is sad. I would rather wait another year and get in on an ARM64 SoC
You have actually gotten in touch with the entities providing these, negotiated all the required stuff out and only ED's signature is missing from the paper for us to get that in that timeframe? :p
Things maybe existing at some given time does not yet make them viable options that we can count on getting :)

can you make a model with no wifi or bluetooth to add room for better parts like a usb3 bus? I don't use wireless and when I do I would prefer to use a usb device anyways.

really durable unbreakable connection to the Pandora power adapter.  on the mainboard.

I doubt there will be multiple versions, such as one with 502.11n wifi and USB2, and one with no wifi and USB3 - it would cost too much to design and test two different boards.  But you should be able to expect devices with broken wifi to be sold cheaper, as they are today, at least if wifi is anywhere near as unreliable on the Miriad as it is on the Pandora.

As for fast nand, I'd rather any 'spare' money was spent on RAM.  Swap belongs on an external replaceable card anyway, really.  More performant SD slots this time round would be nice to have though, to be fair.

It would probably be cheaper to make one model with superspeed USB, good wifi and all the trimmings than to make two alternative versions.

I doubt there will be multiple versions, such as one with 502.11n wifi and USB2, and one with no wifi and USB3 - it would cost too much to design and test two different boards.  But you should be able to expect devices with broken wifi to be sold cheaper, as they are today, at least if wifi is anywhere near as unreliable on the Miriad as it is on the Pandora.

As for fast nand, I'd rather any 'spare' money was spent on RAM.  Swap belongs on an external replaceable card anyway, really.  More performant SD slots this time round would be nice to have though, to be fair.
Usb3 bus is worth more than wifi, usb2, and bluethooth. As for the ram I I would agree. Reguards to sd I get around 15/s and was read top speed with my card is 20 so not a huge gain but with nand the speeds easly range 50+ so huge gains there. There are internal nand replaceable cards like used on the ODROID see http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G137454896514 that is a cheap 8gig that could be swaped for a larger system. They idea behind the swap performance is to use a diffrenet controller for it so that it dosnt have to share. More ram is always good but some programs require a swap(virtual ram) so it uses the hdd. Well if the HDD writes at 20's and you need to do swap writes and the swap is on the same drive you just cut your speed way down. Now if you had swap on nand chip it could use the full fast speed for the swap then use the full sd speed for sd stuff at the same time resulting in a large performance boost.

Then you could always upgrade the nand and swap you games into it for the faster speed. Even with the swap on it is still faster then using the sd bus. Only issue is with sustaind writes/reads the speed slows down to a base rate as to why ram would be best but that much ram is going to cost. that and the ram that is used for the swap would have to be setup as a ramdrive (talk about on hella fast and expensive system) the next best would be two nand in raid 0 then the writes and reads are switched so there is a small pause increasing the lenght of time before the nand slows down. But then if one chip was to fail + the increased price of two chips and room. So the next best and proably the overall best would be the removable mainboard nand chips. Even it is only 2gig the advantages in performance would be large. HDD bus has always been a bottleneck.

Back