Some more of my ideas

I want two 3d stereo cameras, one on the front and one on the back.

(I'm pretty sure modern SoC can handle that.)

And a 1080p 3d stereo display while you're at it.

Also pop-out surround sound speakers on stalks.

The ever appropriate

pandora%20alternative%20inspired%20by%20john%20doe%20from%20the%20blog.gif

The same way people use the internal 3ds camera
No one uses that thing. People try the picture-into-Mii thing for the novelty, see it makes something that doesn't look a thing like them, and then don't use the internal camera ever again. The only game I know of that even used it was Starfox 64 for the multiplayer mode. (Now, the outer cameras on the 3DS? Still not used much, but used more than the internal one: MGS, Chibi Robo, Pokemon Dream Radar, etc.)

-God Ginrai

The same way people use the internal 3ds camera
No one uses that thing. People try the picture-into-Mii thing for the novelty, see it makes something that doesn't look a thing like them, and then don't use the internal camera ever again. The only game I know of that even used it was Starfox 64 for the multiplayer mode. (Now, the outer cameras on the 3DS? Still not used much, but used more than the internal one: MGS, Chibi Robo, Pokemon Dream Radar, etc.)

-God Ginrai
I must say that does seems a pretty accurate analysis of my 3DS camera usage. :)   That being said I never really understood the rationale for putting a camera in the DS in the first place.

Also, while the automatic Mii generation didn't provide a very accurate likeness,  it *did*  provide a good base image for me to tweak into something that kind of resembles me. :)   (I've actually been recognised by my Mii once when I stayed in a Hotel.  "Are you Neelix?" "Yes" "I've been getting you on streetpass every day this week")

- Neelix

I didn't try to prevent anyone to discuss about this. On top of that, it wasn't ironical at all. I am really surprised to discover that real people (and not only advert ones) use video calls.
Sorry, I jumped. Your post had a very "I can't find a use for it therefore it shouldn't be included" vibe.
What I want to say was "I can't find a use for it therefore I hope it would not take too much money or too much room, otherwise I would prefer it to be an external device". But it's just a hope. And obviously I will take P2 as ED will make it.

English isn't my natural language and it's pretty difficult for me to explain ideas or feelings precisely. Sorry about that.

If its an external device it's pretty much a no show, that would be a hastle to travel around with an external USB camera that would flimsly sit on top of your Pandora so that you can do a skype call on the go.  You can say the same for the general concept of adding things LIKE this via USB (some add ons are ok)., it decreases it's overall portability and hastle free use.

In general , as others said, people are going to come up with a lot of ideas, probably at best your going to get 30% of people agreeing to any one of them, which means the majority wont won't anything new.  The other more important point to make is that with every idea proposed there are people who don't want the feature and go one step further to make up a reason why it cant be added, like too expensive - without actually knowing the cost.  It's fine to have an opposite opinion about an idea, or even voicing a reason why it shouldn't be added, but I feel a lot of reasons why a feature shouldn't be added are plain just made up/unsubstantiated in an effort not to have the feature added.  Unless you know for certain a reason would stop a feature added, don't say it, would be my advice .  Best to let popular ideas be seen by ED and let him decide whether they can be added at a reasonable cost within the design .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure to have understood all your post, but I am ok with most of it.
To all of you, please forgive me if I missed some shades in your posts.
Ok to let ED decide what is to be added or not. That's obvious.
But, reading some recent reactions, I feel like we can add ideas (2 SD port, 2 USB, or 3, 4..., USB 2.0, 3.0, Webcam, mic, 3G, 4G, GPS and other things). But except if I misunderstood, it seems to be a bad idea to give a personnal opinion against a feature. And I won't do this on future posts, don't worry. I will follow your advice, I will shut up myself if I think that a feature doesn't worth the cost/the room.

Obviously I know that everyone has different uses and needs. And I know that this or this feature will be fine for some users.
You say that, for a feature, 30% will be ok (and 70% will find it useless).
But I think you will agree, % depends.
CPU, Screen, speakers are wanted by 100% of customers.
Keyboard by 90% perhaps (just an example).
One other by 70%, and some features by 30, 20, or only 10%

And if we say "no", only when we "know for certain a reason would stop a feature added", how ED and others will know that this feature is wanted by 100% of customers, or by only 10 % of them ? Even if it's feasible, I think it should be interesting to know if it's found usefull, and by how many people.

For example, if I say that it will be very very usefull that P2 integrates a business card printer, someone (I hope) will say "no, are you crazy ?".

Pandora is the coolest thing I've seen for ages, and I was very happy to read that a successor is on the way.
I just hope that P2 will reach the market and that wanting too numerous features won't kill the project (like other project. "Yadis", to take an example in software). That's what afraid me, and that's why I made my firt post. Not my best idea apparently.

But except if I misunderstood, it seems to be a bad idea to give a personnal opinion against a feature.
There is a difference between giving a personal opinion as to why you wouldn't use a feature, and a personal opinion as to why a feature should not exist. Saying that you wouldn't use a feature, and asking others for why they want to use a feature is very ok, these types of posts can lead to a lot of good discussion. Saying that you wouldn't use a feature and don't want to pay for it (therefore it should not be included at all) is a little selfish and rarely leads to any useful discussion.Sometimes it is hard to tell which a person means if they make a slightly ambiguous post.

For example, if I say that it will be very very usefull that P2 integrates a business card printer, someone (I hope) will say "no, are you crazy ?".
Why not? Maybe a printer could be useful. Do you want to have a discussion about it?

@Dr-412,

I think you completely miss interpreted my post.  As I said, it's ok to disagree to an idea.  What I said was that it's not ok to make up a reason to put down an idea thats not substantiated or has any merit. That wasn't a go at you or anything you said by the way, just a general comment.

Also, screen , CPU etc are not new features , they are the standard features. As I said , you would have trouble getting a majority to agree to anything NEW ,  especially if it's a choice between it and other features.  For example, if you gave everyone a choice between 5 options, it''s very difficult for one option to be voted in by greater than 50% of everyone .

What about a flip camera? Hinged at the top of the lid pointing outward, it then flips up and towards the user for video calls. It wouldn't require vertical or horizontal space, but it would need some depth. Is there the potential for there to be enough thickness in the lid behind the lcd for this?

I find my camera has a very good camera on it. Mediocre cameras i have aplenty in everything else. Its the dvd player of 2008, i dont need my refridgerator to have one too. But should i see it fit, I will make it so. Do one thing, do it well.

@WizardStan,
Ok, my posts seems to be ambiguous as you said, since you are at least 2 forumers "complaining" about them. I will try to do my best in the future.
For the cam, it's also a problem of available room as you just say. But ok, if the screen size is not affected, I won't say anything else against the adding of a cam.
Concerning the printer, I was kidding. There is some features that I would like to have, but a printer is not one of them.
But be sure that I won't say a thing if someone ask for it ;-)

@vcoleiro
Ok, I understood. A particular option can't be fine for everyone.
But finally (and it's a true question, since I wasn't here, before Pandora 1 birth), when the final choise will have to be made, how ED will know which options are the most wanted ?

I would have other things to say, but it's too difficult for me to be very clear. I am not here to bother anyone so, from now, I will mostly read the board rather than write on it.
I would have less trouble making myself understood in my native language. But in english, it's a true challenge for me !
Sorry for the trouble I made, if any.

Concerning the printer, I was kidding.
I know, but it could still have been fun to talk about. ;)
But ok, if the screen size is not affected, I won't say anything else against the adding of a cam.
Things like this are exactly why you SHOULD voice opinions on it. Someone says "we can fit a camera, but the screen will be 1cm smaller" and you can jump in and say "but screen size is important to me". Then I might come along and say "what about a flip camera? It wouldn't affect screen but would make the lid 0.5cm thicker" and then someone else might say "but that makes it too thick for my pockets" and then someone else tries another suggestion until eventually we're all out of ideas or find something that works.

@Fr Dougal McGuire :

Thanks.

But since it has already occured with P1 I presume, will it be necessary to use divination ?

For Pandora 1, the choise was made by ED only ? Or with the help of a vote, a survey ? That's my question.

For Pandora 1, the choise was made by ED only ? Or with the help of a vote, a survey ? That's my question.
There were a lot of polls originally, and then Craig (and EvilDragon and MWeston) took those polls and made some decisions. This time we've been supplying polls and discussion for several years in this forum without EvilDragon's intervention, so I suspect he already has a really good idea of what the community wants.
The Pandora was created by the joint efforts of the OPT and this epic thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/38155-our-new-machine-pandora/page-1. :)
That thread is essentially this entire forum ;)

I can't even remember who actualy made the Pandora logo, maybe the answer is in these old threads. Wow, already so "antique" these events back then. ^^

Jepp, seems like the good old Pandora Preorder Waitingdays are coming back whit the Dragonbox Pyra

Whit interesting newsposts from Evildragon, cool Prototyp Videos, a lot of discussions on both Pandora Boards (whe have also forum.gp2x.de, but ED seems only to post in the englisch Boards now, i dont know why..)..

Im looking forward to the new interesting times until i have my Dragonbox Pyra

(2018 is a big Aniversy from the Unimog Clup Gaggenau on the old Unimog faktory in Gaggenau (Near Stuttgart on the suedside of Germany) so it would be great for me to have the new Device then..

But i have also a Pandora 1..

Back