Some more of my ideas

What if we had a part that angled out near the back of the bottom
The maximum thickness is pretty well defined, whether it is flat or just one end makes no difference: it cannot be made thicker and still comfortably fit in jean pockets.

Although I really like triggers (was great on N64 already), the top and bottom of a mobile device have to be flat and we all know the reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind if the pyra is longer/bigger like the ps vita, but it can't get much thicker id say.

I still find the vita quite portable and its worth bringing with me.

What if we had a part that angled out near the back of the bottom
The maximum thickness is pretty well defined, whether it is flat or just one end makes no difference: it cannot be made thicker and still comfortably fit in jean pockets.
Actually for pocketability, what matters most is the area of the convex hull of the cross section.

Portability (diameter counts, not point measurements) and design of the carrying case f.e.
Not sure what you mean by portability. Your parenthetical does not make sense to me. As for a case, even if the ability to have a case made was some sort of a requirement for mobile devices, which it isn't, it doesn't mean that the case has to be form-fitting.

-God Ginrai

even if the ability to have a case made was some sort of a requirement for mobile devices, which it isn't, it doesn't mean that the case has to be form-fitting.
It's gonna be really thick, if you leave the case flat and the device has big bumps on it.

Some parts sticking out of the case would be an awkward option too, haha.

even if the ability to have a case made was some sort of a requirement for mobile devices, which it isn't, it doesn't mean that the case has to be form-fitting.
 It's gonna be really thick, if you leave the case flat and the device has big bumps on it.

Some parts sticking out of the case would be an awkward option too, haha.
Well, I'm not suggestling large bumps, just enough to place a button on. I'll try to post a mockup later tonight.

-God Ginrai

Large enough to place a button on /is/ large, too large, even.

And I agree that it should be obvious that the Pyra should have a flat bottom for a lot of reasons.

What Klumpen meant was that for pocketability (if that's a word) not the average circumference counts, but the highest circumference. So instead of making bumps you could as well increase the overall size and you would even get more benefits from it.

Another reason is that the Pyra needs to lay flat on a table - there are lots of people who don't just use it for gaming but also on a desk. This is something I think a lot of people aren't quite aware of, gaming is maybe 2/3 of it's usage scenarios, tops. Maybe even only 1/2.

Another reason is that the Pyra needs to lay flat on a table - there are lots of people who don't just use it for gaming but also on a desk. This is something I think a lot of people aren't quite aware of, gaming is maybe 2/3 of it's usage scenarios, tops. Maybe even only 1/2.
You do realize that if my suggestion gets implemented, the shoulder humps would work like legs on a laptop and would angle the Pyra at a pleasant angle for table use.

-God Ginrai

You do realize that if my suggestion gets implemented, the shoulder humps would work like legs on a laptop and would angle the Pyra at a pleasant angle for table use.

-God Ginrai
I actually dislike this in keyboards, my keyboard always lies flat on the table and actually I would rather like bumps on the other side (yes, I'm using a standing desk). It's more comfortable in the wrists (and the standing desk is better for all of my body).

The other reason is still undeniably valid without limitations.

^ Well I do like that in a keyboard, however this is a handheld, thumb typing will be the norm. so I could take it or leave it.

I actually dislike this in keyboards, my keyboard always lies flat on the table and actually I would rather like bumps on the other side (yes, I'm using a standing desk). It's more comfortable in the wrists (and the standing desk is better for all of my body).
 That's particularly because you use a standing desk. A large amount of people don't. An amount, that I am pretty sure is larger than the amount of people using a standing desk.

The other reason is still undeniably valid without limitations.
The one about increasing the whole size and it still being pocketable? Actually, that's not true. You can fit things in a pocket that have something that is normally too large to fit through the pockethole by turning it sideways in some manner, pushing it in, and then turning it back and continuing pushing it into your pocket. However, that is only in the case that the large piece makes a lip that you can maneuver the pockethole around. If the full back is increased in size, there is no such lip that allows you to maneuver the pocketwhole around, and so the whole device cannot get through the hole. I've done this exact thing w/ my DS Lite w/ Nerf Armor so many times I've lost count.

-God Ginrai

No. No bumps, lumps or protrusions.

And no, you can't use this to try to sneak in a USB type B socket by making a lump/bump/hump for it.

It was a suggestion to be considered. A comment like this is not constructive.

And no, you can't use this to try to sneak in a USB type B socket by making a lump/bump/hump for it.
I literally just got done pointing out that the only part where it would stick out would be where the shoulder buttons were. Where the hell would there be a place to put anything but a button on it?

-God Ginrai

You can fit things in a pocket that have something that is normally too large to fit through the pockethole by turning it sideways in some manner, pushing it in, and then turning it back and continuing pushing it into your pocket. However, that is only in the case that the large piece makes a lip that you can maneuver the pockethole around. If the full back is increased in size, there is no such lip that allows you to maneuver the pocketwhole around, and so the whole device cannot get through the hole. I've done this exact thing w/ my DS Lite w/ Nerf Armor so many times I've lost count.
-God Ginrai
This makes the assumption the actual pocket is bigger than it's entry. That assumption is not generally valid.

Also it's just a pain to do so.

Protrusions also make the case more fragile, more expensive to produce and more /difficult/ to produce. Furthermore if the surface you want to put it on isn't flat it also introduces problems.

This makes the assumption the actual pocket is bigger than it's entry. That assumption is not generally valid.
Go check your pants again. I don't know of a case where this is not valid.

I'll admit that it is not as easy as just sliding it in. But if this means better shoulders, it may be worth it. How much do you value the second set of shoulder buttons?

Protrusions also make the case more fragile, more expensive to produce and more /difficult/ to produce.
This may be true. We should look into this. I was thinking rounded protrusions, though, so any place you apply force will still go inwards towards the case instead of parallel to the case.

Furthermore if the surface you want to put it on isn't flat it also introduces problems.
Yes, but that would raise problems if the bottom of the Pyra was flat, too. That makes this point moot.

-God Ginrai

It was a suggestion to be considered. A comment like this is not constructive.
Sure it is. I considered it. In my humble opinion it's a bad idea. So, in my opinion: No.

I literally just got done pointing out that the only part where it would stick out would be where the shoulder buttons were. Where the hell would there be a place to put anything but a button on it?-God Ginrai
I'd just as soon have the shoulder buttons in recesses on the back of the case. They don't need to be protrusions, lumps or bumps to be usable. What that -does- do is put them out where they're going to get bumped, dinged and broken.

Go check your pants again. I don't know of a case where this is not valid.

I'll admit that it is not as easy as just sliding it in. But if this means better shoulders, it may be worth it. How much do you value the second set of shoulder buttons?

Protrusions also make the case more fragile, more expensive to produce and more /difficult/ to produce.
This may be true. We should look into this. I was thinking rounded protrusions, though, so any place you apply force will still go inwards towards the case instead of parallel to the case.

Furthermore if the surface you want to put it on isn't flat it also introduces problems.
Yes, but that would raise problems if the bottom of the Pyra was flat, too. That makes this point moot.

-God Ginrai
GG, I don't mean to say that your idea would make me not buy a pyra, but a big reason why I wouldn't want a shield is the existence of bulky protrusions that give it the ergonomic console controller feel. Many see them as an advantage, so I see where you are coming from.

I know this comes down to personal preference, but for me protrusions feel like they give portable devices unnecessary size/unprofessional look.

Back