Some more of my ideas

If you dont buy a P2 anyway, why are you throwing monkey wrenches with all these posts and make everyone wasting their time :)
I'm educated, and know what I like in my hardware. Even if I do not buy one, I want the new pandora to be the best it can be. For everyone. So good in fact, that I may end up buying one.

Time is money and talking about it now will save a lot of both. Any reasonable educated adult can tell the diffrence between what I'm saying and people taking swings, and reserve the right not to defend myself from options clearly targeting me. As there is no need.

It always bugged me that a person was being wasted when they had so much potental for greatness. I'm not targeting you Shenmue, I know you just needed more information to see my point of view. A view that people get to choose to grasp. And there will always be someone whose feelings get hurt or dosnt agree for what ever reason. Does a person take your opion into consideration and way the facts or just blantly tell you how it's going to be and humilate you? That is the trait diffrence of a bad leader or a good one.

I stand my ground so that you can too.

I accept correction, when there is understanding and love behide it. Like when someone pops up soon to tell me I'm wrong about something eles. Becuase they were told to do it that way inderectly when someone did it to them. Taught to run away from emotions and blacken your hearts! They say the same things people said to them, call me a fag, or weak, waste of time, tell me I think to much. Oh my gosh you take things personal or your sensitve. Well tell the devil to move teh hell over, and let Jesus take the will. Because in the end, he is the weak one. Not you, not me, and thats why he wants people to be weak like him. Legit+  Proverbs 27:17

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you end up with sticky glue all over the lens then?
Depends on the sticker I guess. Also all the devices I've done this to so far have glossy plastic (or glass) surrounding the camera lens which seems to be less good at adhering to the sticky than the paper is.
But truth be told, I video call very rarely, and don't have much use for cameras oriented this way otherwise, so I rarely have to unpeel them. You may have a point with your killswitch argument.

Oh yes, I was only talking about user-facing camera. Cameras that point at what I'm looking at I have no beef with, and it's the duty of people around me to carry a sheet of 5.25" disc write protect stickers with them and use them if they do feel offended ;)

I don't trust TMP modules. To my knowladge they are not open hardware and nobody can verify their integrity even if the initial designs are safe. The same probably applys to random generators and en/decryption chips too. Who knows if some stupid agency temperd with it like the NSA did with the NIST SHA-3 standard? : /

Like _wb_ and others I'm also in favor of using DisplayPort. A SlimPort (microUSB connector) to be precise. Or HML because microHDMI was somehow a fill-in covering the time from HDMI to HML

Camera's are not cheap features to add, not just in price but in physical packaging. I don't have any immediate use for a camera but can understand why someone would want it, but I'd expect ED to make a query before deciding to go with it simply because it would noticeably increase the cost for a feature that most people may not be interested in.

In the meantime, there are a lot of cheap cameras with i2c interfaces you can get and simply hack on, even in the P1, just figure out where you want it to go, solder to the correct i2c pads, and compile the software.
I think I read somewhere that the new Pandora might have some customizable options, in terms of when you're ordering it? Or that it would be modular or something? Both of those things may have been said by Craig, not entirely sure. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, how much more do you think it would cost in manufacturing if Ed were to make a version with a camera and a version without? Is the difference big enough that it would be like manufacturing two different products, or would the ability to produce both be fairly simple?

You can basically ignore and discard anything that Craig said on the topic.   Craig had plans for his own version of a Pandora successor, which now seem unlikely to ever see the light of day.  Craig is not involved the creation of ED's new device, which is what this thread is in reference to.

- Neelix

...... All tease and no answer ...... Crap!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

One thing I'd like to see on the Pandora successor would be a slot on the back for Kensington-compatible locks. Should not add much to the total cost (it is just a rectangular hole after all), if anything at all, but could come in handy.

One thing I'd like to see on the Pandora successor would be a slot on the back for Kensington-compatible locks. Should not add much to the total cost (it is just a rectangular hole after all), if anything at all, but could come in handy.
Seems like a good idea :)

---

I was wondering if we could get a socket for an external wifi antenna...

what would you all think / say about an UMTS / GSM support?
I think it mainly depends of the price. UMTS/GSM modems are pricy, if it blow up the price of the device too high, I know I won't be able to afford to buy one…

Last edited by a moderator:
on the other hand (perhaps a bit OT for this particular thred) i dont find a PND to add an connect to a GSM network with an USB modem and go mobile with it.

While still on topic, I would like to see,

If NOT A Camera, then an easy to access I2C port where i can add a camera module without having to force (read : "rape") the pacakge / setup too much.

In fact I would prefer an i2c port, where I could plug in some other sensor(s) / external board with sensors in it.

Or am I dreaming too muhc?

That's because network manager has that built in.
really? why cant I access that? the same modem works fine under Chakra/ KDE

I²C isn't really suitable for a camera. You'd want a MIPI CSI or simlar interface if you want any more than 10 seconds per frame.

Why you can't access it? Could be that your modem is unsupported by the version of network manager than we got. Could also be that it's stuck in "CD-ROM" mode and not getting switched to modem mode. There's lots of topics on this, I suggest searching the forums a little.

^I've seen the GSM modem mode - but can't work out how to get it to talk to a wired, old-school, connect-to-a-phone-line, bleep-blip-blippy-bleepy-blip modem.

Back