Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

Alex.

Retired
Since this thread started, Sqdef 1.1D has been released.

Screenshot1.png
Screenshot3.png

{ Download from archive }

Sqdef is still a work in progress.

</update>

This is a continuation from this topic, where someone asked for a tower-defense game for our little handheld. By the time I had some early engine work done, Jontte already released his great Tower Defense 2X game. However, I did not want to throw away what I had done so far, and since my game is a tad different than his and some people told me to continue working on it, I'm doing just that.

My tower-defense game is called SqDef, and it has abstract, colourful graphics inspired by Kenta Cho's Noiz2sa. Right now the game skeleton is in a fairly mature state, and soon I'll begin working on the actual 'game content'. The later product will have a lot of creatures, buildings, and maps to play through.

The last few days I got some more things done: an in-game menu, buildings that shoot creatures, and more graphics. Here are the two latest screenshots:

SqDef-pic5-400-pre%20copy.png
SqDef-pic9-229-pre%20copy.png

The second screenshot is a stress test with 200 bullets on-screen, and it still averages 20fps.

Please leave any comments and feedback, that's always encouraging and helpful to hear. I'll continue to post the progress as it happens :) Updates on this and my other GP2X games-in-progress can also be found at http://artraid.com/alex/

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
*right hand goes up*
*says slick*
*right hand goes down*
*left hand goes up*
*says sqdef*
*cries i want b-b-both*

:lol: very exciting looks great :)

I'd love to beta test one a beta is ready (same with slick, and if you will allow my review it :p)

Wow, those screenshots look amazing.

Def. love the look of the game, glad you decided to continue working on it :)

looks cool! I will definetly check it out. I would also be up for a beta test if you care.

Looks very nice! I really like these Tower Defence games, and it will certainly be fun to have another one to play. Thanks for continuing to work one it!

looks great. can never be enough good homebrew for gp2x. plus i love the astract style and the fact that you are going to keep everything on one screen so it should run pretty fast. I loved your other 2 gp2x games you've released so I'm sure I'll love this.

Thanks for the support and kind words :) About a beta, perhaps it will be a public one, with two or three maps to play around on. All in due time (I get waves of free time every now and then, so I can't pin point any dates)

I got some more small tidbits done: anti-aliased fonts, main menu, and I retouched the hud. Next I'll work on killing the creatures and getting money, and redo the hud icons.

SqDef-pic3-795%20copy.png

Cheers!

- Alex

Anti-aliased fonts did look blurry, and weren't needed at all. Thanks for pointing that out, sometimes little things like these go unnoticed on my part.

I added the Advanced Turrets menu. That will be for higher-level turrets, and you'll need to do some research before having access to them.

SqDef-pic1-55%20copy.png

Update: finalized hud design (I updated the screen above), and added six more types of turrets, all basic.

- Alex

Looks great! I love the flash version of this game, would be great if gameplay and speed can match the flash version.
The most exciting homebrew project imho.

Back