SuperZaxxon v.54 Final has been released!

Someone has a weird idea of how to write a user interface. The instructions were:  Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

I had the pointer on "Boot from SD1" I hit enter. Nothing happened. I hit enter again harder, nothing happened. I tried the "Select" button nothing happened. I tried "Start" nothing happened. I tried every button on the keyboard, nothing happened. I finally tried the gaming buttons, it wasn't until I hit the gaming 'Y' button that it started.
The bootloader is unable to read the keypad, only game buttons.

Patches to add a u-boot keypad driver are welcome.

I think the issue isn't so much that the keyboard keys don't work as much as that the documentation says nothing about the correct keys to press.  

To someone who is used to using gaming consoles and who looks at the Pandora as a gaming console it may seem obvious that you would press one of the gaming buttons to make a selection.   To someone looking at it as a PC rather than a console it is somewhat less obvious, especially if they haven't spent a lot of time playing console games.  I know it certainly took me a while to get used to the idea of using the gaming buttons for things like menu selection.  

Perhaps adding a simple instruction  at the bottom of the screen that says something like this would be useful here:

Press ( to select - Neelix

EDIT: Perhaps it could make use of one of Christoph.Krn's guihints graphics to help make the distinction between the gaming B and keyboard B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the USB OTG hub supposed to be already running at startup? Enable/disable USB host only affects the USB-A I think.

I couldn't get mouse or keyboard to work with the OTG port.

USB OTG uses the same driver as USB Networking,   so if you select "Start USB Network on bootup" in "Menu -> Settings -> Startup ->  Enable/Disable services on Boot" you will be able to use your OTG adapter to connect your USB devices.

It should work very smoothly in this version of SZ too.  Notaz did a great job of updating the driver, and managed to iron out most if not all of the quirks that plagued it previously.

- Neelix

"Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub"

-> Activate USB host

"Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub"

I see that module g_cdc  is loaded from the start, so that's good.

-> Connect USB keyboard

dmesg:

musb-hrdc musb-hdrc: VBUS_ERROR in a_idle (88, f0, <AValid), retry #3, port1 00080108

Is my cable shoddy all of a sudden?

Are you sure your Keyboard and mouse is USB2? I think USB1 device are not supported on any of the USB Port, you have to use an USB HUB to "convert" them to USB2.

Mouse works 100% on OTG, it did on SZ1.53. AFAIK the backwards compatibility is what makes the OTG port special, no?

Yeah the OTG port supports "Full Speed" USB 1.1 devices just fine.  Part of why I like it so much is that I don't need to use a bulky hub to connect such devices. 

I'm surprised kuru's keyboard didn't work, as a keyboard is one of the devices I was testing it with and mine worked just fine.  Perhaps Notaz can shed more light on the matter.

musb-hrdc musb-hdrc: VBUS_ERROR in a_idle (88, f0, <AValid), retry #3, port1 00080108

Your OTG port got into unrecoverable bad state, try cold reboot, if that doesn't help try removing battery for 5 minutes.

^^^ thats why i love the pandora beacuse of the people behind it. no sitting on hold, talking to someone that is reading out of a booklet to try and help but really never even used/own or have any real knowledge of the product.

so thanks everyone

Your OTG port got into unrecoverable bad state, try cold reboot, if that doesn't help try removing battery for 5 minutes.
Thanks for the tips. Can't get it to work though after removing the battery. The above message appears after dis- and reconnecting the mini USB. Edit: Just inserting makes it appear. Could it be my cable?

Can somebody confirm OTG host working on Sz1.54?

Cables can be bad.

For instance i tested one which was unable to charge my OP.

Can somebody confirm OTG host working on Sz1.54?
Yeah, it works for me without any issues.

- Neelix

EDIT: Setting aside the OTG atapter for a moment,  are there any such errors if you connect a regular mini-USB cable between the pandora and a PC?  (and if so, do they still happen if you try it again after having the battery out for 5 mins)

Could a fragile soldering conenction be the cause of this? The cable is in a hastily thrown together state, i put spme solder on pins 4 and 5 on an old mini usb plug and quickly soldered a female usb-a to the other end of it.. I'll redo it again properly and put it on a pice of pcb to stop the wear and tear on the latter side, hope that'll do it.

Sure, cable could easily cause it too (VBUS_ERROR basically means it's unable to drive the voltage to correct level, sometimes it does it without seemingly good reason, but maybe it has a reason this time).

I realise that i'm not the only one experiencing issues with the LED settings, but on my 1GHz unit i change the power LED setting to 0 for normal usage (because i'm looking at the screen and know my unit is on) and  8 in low-power mode, so that i can tell the unit is on when i have the lid closed. I confirm these new settings, apply them and save them, the new settings are visible in the LEDs but the unit always reverts back to the default LED brightness settings. I very rarely turn my unit off so the old settings dont revert on reboot or anything like that, they just seem to override the new settings i apply. When i go back to the LED settings menu the new values i put in place still exist so it seems they have been saved despite not being applied - can anyone shed some light on this issue? 

EDIT: when upgrading to Super Zaxxon v.54 i did a full reflash as i always do, i have done a subsequent reflash to see if this resolved the issue, unfortunately this did not help 

I ran the updater pnd on both my Pandoras and they both say they cannot the load the kernel on bootup Guess it's time for a re-flash

Resoldering the cable didn't change anything. USB networking works in spite of the error message. The internal keyboard stopped working two times when I connected OTG cable. Did I destroy something on the board when I tried putting coltage across USB OTG cable to run a  power-hungry keyboard?

Back