Tell Us Non-Snes Guys What The Best Of Snes Are :)

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS A WALL OF TXT
(But trust me, if you've never played a SNES than this will be worth the trouble to read. ;) )

My list begins HERE:

Donkey Kong Country- Platformer - The game stars Donkey and Diddy Kong in an adventure to stop the evil King K. Rool! It's certainly a very clever platformer, with lot's of secrets. You'll be spending a LOOOOOOOONG time trying to get a %100 on this. It's also one of the prettiest looking games on the SNES. If you like this one, you may also like it's sequels; DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest and DKC3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

Earthbound - RPG - This is one of the few game's on this list that I don't actually own, but that's only because of how expensive it is to get my hand on a cart. This is essentially Mother 2, localised to the United States. And boy, is it an experience. If your an RPG fan or want a good story, than you should try this one out. If you like this, you'll like The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

F-Zero - Racing - This is one of those games that are easy to pick up, but hard to master. The game supports a variety of tracks and racers, as well as difficulty levels. I think the best thing is the speed: The vehicles float off of the ground and are blazing fast, so it's never a boring race. If you like this one, you'll also like Super Mario Kart(which I'll talk about a little later.)

Kirby Super Star - Platformer - To me, this game is the perfect embodiment of my childhood, so my view might be a little biased, But this a superb title that I really think anyone who hasn't looked into yet, should. It is the best Kirby game in the series, and revolves around 8 different games within the cartridge. Each Game helps you develop the skills you'll need in future games you'll unlock, while also introducing a new style of gameplay unique to itself, so that the game never feels overly stretched out in length. If you like this game, you'll probably like Super Mario World, too.

The Legend Of Zelda, A Link To The Past - Action/RPG - The fact that Zelda is in the title should be self-explanatory, but if it isn't, don't even bother looking it up. Play it now. If you like this (And I know you will...) Than you'll also like Earthbound. (Yes, I really did just create an endless loop.)

Starfox - Shoot'Em'Up - This is a very unique Shoot'Em'Up, especially for the time it came out. This one is pretty much an embodying of awesome because it's 3-D and still plays like a Shoot'Em'Up should. Oh, and did I mention you fly in SPACE and infiltrate an enemy base!? (Cough*Starwars*Cough) Seriously though, it's a great game. If you like this, you *Might* like MegaMan X.

Super Mario All-Stars - Platformer - This is pretty much a compilation of Mario 1, 2, 3, and the Japanese version of Mario 2 (which the game calls "The Lost Worlds"). I do however recommend this, because, (IMHO) it's prettier, and more convenient.

Super Mario Kart - Racing - The first in what appears to be a never-ending spin-off series, Super Mario Kart is mostly what made those Kart racing games so popular. It features 8 racers spanning 4 cups and 3 difficulty settings. It's not nearly as fast as F-Zero, but it's easily just as fun, if not funner thanks to the idem collection feature throughout the game. and speaking of F-Zero, that's the title you'd probably like if you like this one.

Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars - RPG/Adventure - The other game I'm going to talk about that I don't own, (Mostly because I've been too lazy to just get up and make the money to get it) This game was created by Square and is the predecessor to the popular Paper Mario series. This game is a bit different in that it uses an isometric view rather than a top-down one, but this doesn't hinder the story or gameplay, which is good. It begins with Mario actually nearing the end of his journey. He saves peach - but than, something falls from the sky and destroys Bowser's castle. What is it? Well, you'll have to play to find out. If you like this one, you'll also like The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

Super Mario World - Platformer - Also known as Super Mario Bros. 4, this is THE Mario game for the Super Nintendo. Like Donkey Kong Country, this game contains a lot of secrets and levels that will really keep you busy. Heck, it's even got a percent value, driving you to madness until you finally give in and push to reach that seemingly impossible goal. If you like this, you'll also like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Platformer - This one really tries to make itself something new without imposing something against the Mario formula, and it works. In this one, Mario is a Baby which Yoshi takes responsibility for to return him to his home. Too bad that, even at an extremely young age, Bowser is still as much of an annoying, selfish brat as ever. The game uses a type of clock as health - When your hit, Mario falls off and floats around in a bubble, waiting to be freed by you. Every second he's in that bubble, one second is taken from the timer. It starts at 10 and will replenish if the timer gets lower than that, but it can go up to 30. This makes the game interesting, because if you want 100%, you have to go without damage. Like the Man and Ape before it, there's a lot of secrets hidden that need to be found. Another really good platformer. :)
Oh, and if you like this one you might also like the Donkey Kong Country series! :p

...And my list ends HERE.

So, I hope that helps someone out there! I know I forgot a few other good ones, but time is of the essence! See ya! B)

EDIT: Prometheus & Lunatic: The fact that you've listed Kirby Super Star (or alternate titles) before I did makes you awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Sandra no Daibouken - Valkyrie to no Deai - Platformer - A very challenging platform game, in the one-hit-and-you-die vein, said to have been made by the same team who later made Klonoa - Door To Phantomile for the PlayStation. Available in English by the name of "Whirlo".

Also known as "Xandra's Big Adventure". It was about to go on my list.

Here's what I'd say, broken down by genres:

Platform
--------
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Xandra's Big Adventure
Goemon 2
Sparkster
Mega Man X
Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt
Out To Lunch
Mickey's Magical Quest
Mario All Stars
Plok!
Tiny Toon Adventures
Super Star Kirby
Syo the Seal
Ardy Lightfoot
Aladdin
Pac in Time

RPG
---
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Secret of Mana
Soul Blazer
Final Fantasy 3/6
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Shadowrun
Super Mario RPG

Action/Adventure
-----------------
Super Metroid
Castlevania IV
Alcahest
Flashback
Demon's Crest
SOS (aka Septentrion)
EVO
Solstice 2: Equinox
Batman & Robin
Lawnmower Man (seriously!)
Melfland Stories

Fighting
--------
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Turtles Tournament Fighters
Killer Instinct
Clay Fighter (nostalgia only, perhaps...)
Final Fight
Final Fight 3
Batman Returns
Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Strategy
--------
Mega Lo Mania
Ogre Battle
Front Mission
Actraiser
Civilisation
Fire Emblem
Syndicate

Shooter
-------
Parodius 3
Kikikaikai Ninja
Super Aleste
Axelay
Desert Strike
Super Smash TV
Pop n Twinbee
R-Type 3
UN Squadron
Cannon Fodder
Starfox
Contra 3
Cybernator (aka Assault Suits Valken)
Mechwarrior 3050
Cosmo Gang
Sunset Riders
Wild Guns
Zombies Ate My Neighbours
Super Dropzone

Sports
------
Unirally
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Super Family Tennis
Dolucky no Kusayakiu Baseball
2020 Super Baseball
Super Tennis
Side Pocket
Sensible Soccer
NBA Jam: TE
Super Punch Out!!
Kirby's Tee Shot

Driving
-------
Super Mario Kart
Street Racer
Stunt Race FX
Rock & Roll Racing
F-Zero
Nigel Mansell F1 Challenge
Powerslide

Puzzle/Misc
-----------
Super Puyo Puyo
Super Bomberman
Pilotwings
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Spindizzy Worlds
The Firemen
Super Smash Ball
Kid Klown's Crazy Chase

GunPei2X said:
Also known as "Xandra's Big Adventure". It was about to go on my list.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd recommend it! :D

Well, most of my favorites are covered in this thread, but I feel compelled to mention the Gundam wing fighting game and the ranma 1/2 puzzle game (sorry, I don't know the official titles of either) both are great games that I usually introduce people to when I get the chance... and Star Ocean!

I actually pulled out my old carts to jog my memory, here are some more RPG choices (can you all tell that I am a total RPG nerd?):

-The 7th Saga: This game is for hardcore RPG fans only as it is extremely challenging. You can choose 1 out of 7 characters as your hero in the beginning and later recruit a second character as your partner. Each character has different motives for undertaking the main quest so the story develops differently depending on who you choose. The characters you do not pick also become your rivals.

-Breath of Fire/Breath of Fire 2: Fairly unoriginal RPGs but well done, IMO. The hero can transform into various types of dragons and some of the other characters have interesting designs. The highlight of this series for me though is the fishing minigame.

-Illusion of Gaia: This is an action RPG similar to The Legend of Zelda series, but with innovations such as your character being able to transform into stronger, more powerful beings.

-E.V.O.: This is a very unique game based on the theory of evolution. Your character starts out as a simple fish, but as you consume other animals you can evolve different parts of your body as you like. You eventually move through time and your character will change into an amphibian, reptile, and mammal.

-Actraiser: A unique mix of side-scrolling action and simulation where you manage the population of different cities.

I don't like thinking in terms of the best of a particular genre. Genre is a weak concept, and there's never been a game of one kind so good that I never want to play another game of the same type. But of course I know a bunch of what I think are super-great games.

(PS: I am one of those USAians you hear about, so expect me to use the region-appropriate names for consoles and games.)

(PPS: also, some of the games were not released in English. I'll note these as ones you'll need to google a translation patch for.)

Let me get out of the way first: here are some cool games that have superior versions on other platforms which will probably run fine on the Pandora

• Out of this World/Another World (originally for the Amiga, right?)
  • Sunset Riders (MAME)
  • Tales of Phantasia (re-released for the Playstation, both only in Japan, both fan-translated)
  • Final Fantasy IV, V and VI (gameboy advance)

Okay, that said, here's what I find the cream of the crop (attempting not to repeat too many that folks have already mentioned, but don't hold me to that) :

• Actraiser: you play the great and kind sky god, returning after a long rest, to resurrect your worship in the mortal world. The game is split between challenging sword-fighty platforming levels with awesome monstrous bosses, and funny simcity-like sections where you direct the growth of your people while protecting them from monsters. Find the original japanese version for an extreme challenge. Also it's a Soulblazer tie in, so I love it, so there. :p
  • Assault Suits Valken: awesome space mecha shooter. Was released in the US, but the original Japanese is better when translated, so there.
  • Bahamut Lagoon: The craziest strategy RPG you've never heard of. Raise dragons, feeding them any item, training and evolving them! Fend off (or accept) the advances of your cross-dressing old general! Change the tone of flashback scenes completely based on your responses! Despite the goofiness, has some gutpunching story to it.
  • Demon's Crest: you play as super-cool demon Firebrand, and fly about the demon world collecting new powers and killing the crap out of larger, yet weaker, demons.
  • E.V.O. search for Eden: fight your way through a game about evolution that has no sex in it. Besides that, it's awesome.
  • Earthbound: an incredible rpg about home, family and friendship. My advice: answer the opening questions honestly, accept that the graphics are cartoonish, and settle in for a beautiful ride.
  • Earthworm Jim: A kooky platform-shooter where you play an earthworm who happened upon an awesome hero-space-suit. Blast junkyard dogs, the cat king of hell, evil goldfish, and worse things.
  • Fushigi no Dungeon 2 - Fuurai no Shiren: are you familiar with the term "Rogue-like?" Well, it means a game where the dungeons are all randomly generated, and you can't save except when you quit, and when you die, you start over. Wait, don't leave! See, the idea is that rather than have a game where you fight and get experience and then your character becomes more powerful and the game becomes easier, rogue-likes let you get experience and become a more powerful player. Shiren the Wanderer is one of the best of these. You play a super-cool japanese dude (oh yeah, it's japanese so find a translation) with a talking weasel-thing that's trying to get a great treasure.
  • Harvest Moon: you play a kid whose parents abandon him at a run-down farm and let him figure it out. Chop wood. Plant crops. Raise cows. Sell produce. Woo lasses. Go to town festivals. Retire rich and awesome.
  • Illusion of Gaia: action RPG with cool story about Will and ancient civilizations in the age of exploration. Hard to talk about without spoiling, but probably has more individual memorable moments in it than any other RPG I've played.
  • Live A Live: this is actually 8 games with one rpg-esque tactical combat system. Each game takes place in a different era, and has its own rules and mechanics. For example, in the ancient chinese one, you play an ancient chinese guy teaching three kids to carry on your kung fu. In the cowboy one, you play a cowboy trying to direct townsfolk to set traps and protect themselves from a rampaging gang. In the caveman one, no one talks with words, and you can smell to hunt down animals hidden in the vedlt. In the ninja one, you are infiltrating a castle, killing or avoiding guards as you please. (and so forth, four more times) But wait, is it possible that there are some strange connections between all these stories? IT IS A MYSTERY YOU MUST SOLVE.
  • The Lost Vikings: three awesome vikings . Proof that Blizzard is . For extra fun, download the sequel, where they are cyber-vikings. Yes, really.
  • Majuu Ou: a japanese game of shooting zombies with a gun while your dead wife's faerie ghost helps. You can double jump! That automatically puts it in the top shelf
  • Mystic Ark: a sortof sequel to 7th saga, in the way that Final Fantasy X was a sequel to IX. Hard. Strange. Pretty. Funny. Cool.
  • Pac Man 2: an acquired taste. Nothing to do with the original Pac Man game. Pac Man walks on his own through his cartoony town and surrounding environs on a series of errands, and you interact with him using a slingshot, knocking stuff over, bringing his attention to things, or just smacking him in his stupid yellow face. I like it. You may not.
  • Plok!: Haha! I kid, Plok! is terrible. It's a visually confused platformer that has a million terrible levels, at the end of which, Plok says another stupid thing about how his pants must be on another flagpole. Oh yeah, the story is that someone stole his pants, and then put it up a flagpole, and then put a million flagpoles with convincing decoys up as well. So don't play this.
  • Rudra no Hihou: An RPG with three different main characters, that you choose between every time you load a game, telling an epic interwoven story about a threat to sentient life. Has an awesome magic system where you every spell is a word, and you can experiment to make new words and get new spells. Probably the best graphics on an RPG on this system. Balls hard.
  • Secret of Mana: run around and chop things up with your sword. Playable with two of your friends. I liked it a lot as a kid, and it's pretty cool, but...
  • Seiken Densetsu 3: japan-only sequel to Secret of Mana. A very similar system, but absolutely incredible. Choose a main character and two side-characters from a list of six. Each main character has a different playable beginning story. The three "pairs" of characters each get a different "true villain who was behind it all along." Each character can end up in one of four different "classes" at the end. I once sat down with a friend and played this game for 10 straight hours. I had to think about it before I finally decided to stop. It was glorious.
  • Shadowrun: in a sense, this belongs on the first list, because the Genesis/Megadrive Shadowrun is cooler, but they're actually totally different games and not ports. This one is kinda a point and click adventure game with a bunch of point and click combat in it. It starts with you waking up in a morgue, which I always liked.
  • SOS: Play one of a few people on a turn-of-the-century cruise ship that just got flipped over by a huge wave. Escape. Optionally, help those around you, or try to save your husband or sick sister.
  • Soulblazer: Old school action RPG where you are sent down from the sky to bring everyone back from a bizarre quantum state of unclear existence.
  • Super Castlevania IV: Remember Castlevania? It's that, except with new graphics, music, and if you hold the whip button and move the d-pad, you can swing it around. Like a boss[/p].
    [*]Super Ghouls and Ghosts: very difficult platformer, where you play a double-jumping knight with several different weapons and hearts on his underwear.
    [*]Super Mario Kart: The classic nintendo racer. Fun as all heck, especially with friends. You've...got some, right?
    [*]Super Mario RPG: you mean you didn't know Square made an RPG starring Mario, hypothetical person for this exercise? Well, they did, and it was great, and you should check it out.
    [*]Super Metroid: Super-cool sci-fi jumpy-shooty-explore game. Widely considered one of the best games ever made.
    [*]Terranigma: I used to hate Europe because this game wasn't released in America. An actiony-rpg game where you guide the resurrection and evolution of all life. Triumphant climax of the Soul Blazer "series." Possibly my "desert island favorite."
    [*]Uncharted Waters New Horizons: (NOT plain ol' Uncharted Waters, this is the far superior sequel) play as one of six different characters and sail around the world trading, exploring, fighting fleet battles and duels.
    [*]Violinist of Hamelin: A platformer where you play a dude with a magic violin who can force a long-suffering female associate to dress up like various invincible animals to get past spikes and pits. Need I add it is from Japan?
    [*]Wonder Project J: You try to raise an ungrateful little AI brat in this cute robot adventure variation on the pinnochio story and the Critterz/Black&White/Furby mechanic. Japan only.

Whew! That's a fair list, but for even more great games (including defining classics, hidden gems, and great deals) for the SNES, as well as a bunch of great classic platforms that the Pandora will be able to emulate, I highly recommend racketboy. I'm sure other folks can name other great ways to find lists of good games.

In addition to some of the great games listed here...

Shooter:
Pocky and Rocky 1 & 2

Puzzle:
Tetris Attack

Wild Guns by Natsume.

An oldwest, newage shooter. Very fun. Very few have played it. A true gem!

Chris

The Lufia games are pretty good too if you like RPGs - second is less grindy and ugly and has more of a puzzle element to the dungeons, but somewhat less involved prequel story.

Wonder Project J: You try to raise an ungrateful little AI brat in this cute robot adventure variation on the pinnochio story and the Critterz/Black&White/Furby mechanic. Japan only.
But translated, I'm eager to get back into this one as soon as I get my pandora.
SOS: Play one of a few people on a turn-of-the-century cruise ship that just got flipped over by a huge wave. Escape. Optionally, help those around you, or try to save your husband or sick sister.
I always liked the idea of this game which I think also inspired the playstation Disaster Report games But always hated the collision detection and how people you tried to save would always get left behind because they'd get caught on a step or something.

Anyone know if the Superscope games work on Pandora? The Metal Combat games always struck me as being underappreciated.

Kicker said:
SOS: Play one of a few people on a turn-of-the-century cruise ship that just got flipped over by a huge wave. Escape. Optionally, help those around you, or try to save your husband or sick sister.
Ah, maybe you can answer my question! How comes it that kingweenzer sink?

m effing gradius 3

@ mjlink ranma 1/2 is a korean or chinese (or something not japan) comic and animated tv show (u tube it). there are a few games. its a story about these puddles that had someone die in them and if you fall into them you become that person or animal when doused with cold water. the main character is a boy that gets wet and turns into a redhead chick alot. his dad turns into a panda. wierd. great fighting game tho

b1llygo4t said:
@ mjlink ranma 1/2 is a korean or chinese (or something not japan) comic and animated tv show (u tube it).
It's Japanese. ;)

Zelda: A link to the Past - Best 2D action adventure ever
Chrono Trigger - Best Japanese RPG ever

Super Mario RPG - A really fun RPG
Super Mario World - A really good platformer

Some other games to check out:
Mega Man X: Platformer with guns, a bit hard to get into
Terranigma: A nice action adventure
Super Castlevania IV: Good looking platformer with nice whip action

I find your lack of Pac-Attack disturbing.

Pac-Attack: Puzzle
Earth Defense Force: Horizontal shooter
Darius Twin: Horizontal shooter
Super Nova/Darius Force: Horizontal shooter
Castlevania - Dracula X: Platformer
Super Punch-Out!!: ridiculous 3rd person boxing with stereotypes(?)

Hooka said:
Well, most of my favorites are covered in this thread, but I feel compelled to mention the Gundam wing fighting game and the ranma 1/2 puzzle game (sorry, I don't know the official titles of either) both are great games that I usually introduce people to when I get the chance... and Star Ocean!

Wow, actually, my girlfriend and me play the Ranma 1/2 puzzle game every once in a while against each other.
Didn't think anyone here would play it :D

Last edited:
Hmm...almost all of the great games have been mentioned already.

So I can only add:

Super The Empire Strikes Back (best in the series)
Super Star Wars
Super Return of the Jedi
(worst but still enjoyable)

(genre: Platform/Action)

Exophase said:
The Lufia games are pretty good too if you like RPGs - second is less grindy and ugly and has more of a puzzle element to the dungeons, but somewhat less involved prequel story.

I was wondering why no one was mentioning the Lufia games :). There are tons of good JRPGs on SNES, some of which are mentioned in this thread.

Also this one pops into mind in addition to those already mentioned:
Killer Instinct - Fighter

Back