Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.7

josh f said:
btw, is there anyway to compress the bin/cue? itd be cool to have more than 2 cd games on a 1 gig card.
Yes, convert to Cue/ISO/ogg format.
grahf said:
BTW, any plans to add a software render option? Only a few games need to be shrunk, but most of them are pretty good. Also, stretching via software as in Notaz nes emulator is pretty damn clear all things considered. Might help those of us that are a little hard to sight :D
I think what you refer to is the software scale horzontal only (vertical also is too much CPU to do and it isn't worth it for a few scanlines). I asked about that awhile ago and the answer I was given is that it would slow down the emu. Since it has to be done in software it takes CPU time away from emulation. I would guess it would work with some overclock but not sure. It does look nice even to me probably because it is done only in one direction and doesn't average everything. I think fullscreen in hardware would be relatively free CPU wise but it looks so awful..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried getting DracX and Lords of Thunder to work on my F200, but they both crash. I see the Konami logo (with sound) for DracX, and then it goes black and doesn't respond. Lords of Thunder just goes black. I'm using the RIGG rips of these games which are iso/wav. They iso's are 2048. Anyone have luck on an F200?

mth411 said:
Exo, why aren't you using the 2nd core ogg decoding library?
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,19,2132

Ogg940

Seems like it would be easy to integrate, and take even more strain off the 1st processor.

Just a suggestion.

Looking awesome.

I've mentioned this a few times, but the reason why I'm not using Ogg940 is because I need something that can stream from disk and seek on demand, not just play files already loaded in memory. I'll have to write my own second core solution (and it'll probably use Tremolo instead of pure Tremor).

Joobloo said:
I've tried getting DracX and Lords of Thunder to work on my F200, but they both crash. I see the Konami logo (with sound) for DracX, and then it goes black and doesn't respond. Lords of Thunder just goes black. I'm using the RIGG rips of these games which are iso/wav. They iso's are 2048. Anyone have luck on an F200?
Four testers have confirmed that it works on F200. Please e-mail me your cuesheet and the first WAV track you have. The WAVs might be stored in a format that I do not support, or there may be other cue problems.

Also be sure to use the Japanese version of syscard3.

Exophase said:
So is the concensus that we should only use the Japanese syscard3 version? Will all games US and JPN both work with this syscard?

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
So is the concensus that we should only use the Japanese syscard3 version? Will all games US and JPN both work with this syscard?

Consensus, I don't know. But this is the syscard that over 200 games (both USA and Japanese) were tested against.

DaveC said:
I think what you refer to is the software scale horzontal only (vertical also is too much CPU to do and it isn't worth it for a few scanlines). I asked about that awhile ago and the answer I was given is that it would slow down the emu. Since it has to be done in software it takes CPU time away from emulation. I would guess it would work with some overclock but not sure. It does look nice even to me probably because it is done only in one direction and doesn't average everything. I think fullscreen in hardware would be relatively free CPU wise but it looks so awful..
Yes, I accidentally typed render instead of scaling :blink:. I recall hearing that since it was horizontal only it did not suffer much of a performance hit. It certainly doesn't affect Picodrives frame rate much. And even so, Temper is so blazing fast already I'm sure it could afford the extra processing work.

But of course its up to you Exophase. Though even if you never made another release of this emulator, it would still stand as one of the top 3 emulators on the system.

grahf said:
Though even if you never made another release of this emulator, it would still stand as one of the top 3 emulators on the system.
If I had to rate the 3 best emus (tough as there are so many good ones) based on compatibility, accuracy, technical achievement, and features it would to me be (in no particular order) Temper, Picodrive, and Notaz's GPFCE (NES).

Exophase said:
How to use bin_to_iso_ogg in Windows, a step by step guide:

1) Download oggenc from the provided link to c:\windows (I don't have it on me right now, maybe someone can upload it...)
2) Locate the directory where your .cue file is. Let's say it's in c:\pce\cd_images, let's say the cue is named game.cue
3) Extract bin_to_iso_ogg.exe to this directory.
4) Go to start->run, type cmd, press enter.
5) Type cd c:\pce\cd_images (use whatever the real directory is, not this), press enter
6) Type bin_to_iso_ogg game.cue game, press enter
7) After a while this will finish and there will be a new directory called "game"
8) Copy this directory to your SD card
9) Load the .cue file inside the directory from Temper
I tried this and bin to iso ogg crashes after i type in "Type bin_to_iso_ogg game.cue game, press enter" or it either goes back to the c:\pce\cd (my directory) prompt without creating a "game" folder.

also has anyone confirmed that popful mail works?

josh f said:
I tried this and bin to iso ogg crashes after i type in "Type bin_to_iso_ogg game.cue game, press enter" or it either goes back to the c:\pce\cd (my directory) prompt without creating a "game" folder.

Yes it works. You must be doing something wrong. From the quote above you shouldn't actually be typing "type" and "press enter" though ;)

DaveC said:
josh f said:

Yes it works. You must be doing something wrong. From the quote above you shouldn't actually be typing "type" and "press enter" though ;)

no im not typing "type", i even tried using the new bin to iso ogg that was listed in this thread.

It crashes when you specify the bin file (i.e. bin_to... popful.bin popful). Must specify the cue.

For those of you that do not want to put files in the Windows directory you can specify the working path before executing bin_to... i.e. PATH=c:\pce\cd_images;%PATH%

Popful Mail bin-cue and iso-ogg plays (at least for the 5 minutes I tested)

bman said:
It crashes when you specify the bin file (i.e. bin_to... popful.bin popful). Must specify the cue.

For those of you that do not want to put files in the Windows directory you can specify the working path before executing bin_to... i.e. PATH=c:\pce\cd_images;%PATH%

Popful Mail bin-cue and iso-ogg plays (at least for the 5 minutes I tested)

hey i got it to work!, im a complete tard! ive been loading the cdrom through cd swap, not new game..

now i just need to get the iso-ogg thing to work.. got it to make a game folder, but got errors saying oggenc was not recognized as a inernal or external command.. in my windows folder i have oggenc2.

renaming oggenc2 did the trick!, im now converting my library to this format! thanks so much guys. and like everyone is saying, this emu is truly godly.

I tried almost 40 cd games or more, the only one that gave me problems is Might&Magic 3, it randomly freezes here and there :(

But this emulator is almost perfect! best pc-engine emu so far...

Exophase, i've tested with different system cards, and dumps from original CD. No matter what I tried, I was unable to get the bram to save. It seems that it is held in memory while playing (since I can switch games, reset, etc) but when I exit the emulator it is not saved to disk. Also, hucard games such as Neutopia II exhibit the same problem. Not saved on exit.

It DOES save a file, but the file is always 0kb. The "seperate bram for each game" does not help. I get different save files then, but they are all still 0KB.

Any advice? I have a MK1 1st edition with 2.1.1 firmware.

grahf said:
Exophase, i've tested with different system cards, and dumps from original CD. No matter what I tried, I was unable to get the bram to save. It seems that it is held in memory while playing (since I can switch games, reset, etc) but when I exit the emulator it is not saved to disk. Also, hucard games such as Neutopia II exhibit the same problem. Not saved on exit.
It DOES save a file, but the file is always 0kb. The "seperate bram for each game" does not help. I get different save files then, but they are all still 0KB.

Any advice? I have a MK1 1st edition with 2.1.1 firmware.

That's very strange. Can you run from telnet? We can do some more involved testing. I don't think this is general problem that affects everyone.

Do savestates work? Does your configuration stick?

notaz said:
Looks more like forgotten sync() call to me. Might be full/broken SD card card too.
Should I really need to call sync after fopen, fwrite, fclose?

Back