Terraria?

Wally

I am a banana!
I don't mean to be nit picky but I was wondering as we have Mono now if it would be possible to have a Terraria executable run on the Pandora and perhaps even distribute the paid version if we have an agreement with the Terraria team?

Soo uhh. ptitseb? :D

And it's not only Terraria. 

Bastion, FEZ...

Bastion and FEZ should work more easily on Pandora since they have already been ported with monogame on Linux. Performance-wise, i don't think they will work so well, though :(

I'd want starbound on the Pyra at least.. that'd be a great for thing me and my girlfriend. we constantly play servers together on minecraft and starbound. We use to play terraria but once windows started to crash regularly on my computer due to its dying harddrive i had to use ubuntu.. that kind've killed off most of my gaming except for minecraft and starbound. I'd be more happy to see if starbound support would be possible.

Also getting don't starve and binding of isaac to work on a pandora would be amazing. Since those games would be fun on the go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also getting don't starve and binding of isaac to work on a pandora would be amazing. Since those games would be fun on the go.

How would you get Don't starve to work ? It's not monogame. It's C++/SDL. Without the sources, it's very unlikely we can make it work. 
Yep, don't starve I don't have the source (but the port would be easy, just modplug to wrap, the graphics already are GLES2, using Angle on Windows).

If I remember correctly, Don't starve could be played within Chrome ... but I believe there was some trouble with having to use a google-account.

About Monogame: Do you think it will be a one time port -> everything runs, or a new port for every game? I tried to get a version running on the pandora for Dust, but I permanently ran into incompatibilities between the versions that support gles and what the game expects to get ...

I was wondering as we have Mono now if it would be possible to have a Terraria executable run on the Pandora
Looks like that needs a custom version of Mono or Monogame: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/terraria-unnoficially-on-linux-with-monogame.1730 but maybe there are better ways allready

Bastion, FEZ...
I tried getting Bastion to run in Chromium, but the Chromium versions on the repo are too old to install anything from the Web Store from what I can tell. I installed an updated Chromium version from the Ubuntu repositories, but that version doesn't fulfill the WebGL requirement. I'm slowly working to compile a new version myself, but I'd bet practically anyone else could do it faster. 

Starbound: another game I don't have.

Did you Try Epic Inventor I think it's in the same category...
I've never played Starbound, but have enjoyed Epic Inventor a lot.

And it's not only Terraria. 

Bastion, FEZ...

Bastion and FEZ should work more easily on Pandora since they have already been ported with monogame on Linux. Performance-wise, i don't think they will work so well, though :(
I fear that all ofthese games would not work that good "performance-wise", even if they look so old school and simple. Terraria & Co. all need a beefy PC compared to the 2D retro look.  But I'm sure a dedicated port would be easily possible if done right. At least the Pyra should have enough power for these games.

Indy-Devs may be more open to do a straight ARM port of their games so it should not hurt to ask them. ^^"

Indy-Devs may be more open to do a straight ARM port of their games so it should not hurt to ask them. ^^"

RE-LOGIC outsourced their android port (see severely limited version) to 505 games

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.and.games505.TerrariaPaid&hl=en

I used to follow the main developer for terraria (redigit), and I got the impression he was only a c# programmer. Seeing how they got another company to do their limited port on arm, and they don't even have a x86 linux port. I'm guessing arm linux is well outside the scope of a quick port for them.

RE-LOGIC outsourced their android port (see severely limited version) to 505 games

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.and.games505.TerrariaPaid&hl=en

I used to follow the main developer for terraria (redigit), and I got the impression he was only a c# programmer. Seeing how they got another company to do their limited port on arm, and they don't even have a x86 linux port. I'm guessing arm linux is well outside the scope of a quick port for them.
How limited is the Android version? I bought it, played extremely briefly, and found it to not be as enjoyable as I'd hoped. Is the PC version better?

How limited is the Android version? I bought it, played extremely briefly, and found it to not be as enjoyable as I'd hoped. Is the PC version better?
the worlds are magnitudes larger in the PC version (deeper/higher/more biomes). They're slowly adding inventory from the PC game but still lots are missing. Lots of the bosses and difficulty levels are missing as well.

Not as bad as say a trialware, but the PC version is more fleshed out for sure. I love the PC version, the mobile one never did it for me.

If your into minecraft, it's similar to how minecraft PE isn't the same as the desktop version.

And this is the reason, why this Microsoft game making library sucks. Maybe it was easier to make in the first place, but now they are doing the same thing twice...

not if you like microsoft, (windows, xbox, windows phone etc) but it's rather limiting when looking at the whole "cross platform" aspect (linux, android, osx, ios)

it's a lot like direct x... good at what it does, but it's pretty platform specific

So C# is bad?
I wouldn't use it for a game.In fact I wouldn't use it at all.

However this is not the point, Terraria uses XNA, which is only available for Microsoft systems. MonoGame tries to be, what Mono is for .NET. I am not sure, how good the compatibility is atm.

But imho it can't be the goal to copy everything, what Microsoft does to get their games and applications to other (operating) systems.

Back