Testing Wanted For A New Gp2x F200 Game

iprice said:
Repeat bug for + & - I will look into. That only occurs on touchscreen, right? Seems OK on F100/ Does it increase/decrease when you first put the pen down and then again on removal?

Yes, it only happens when using touchscreen. It works fine when just pressing or holding down either of them. The bug occurs after that, when you go touch something else; it would increment/decrement one more time. (e.g. I pressed Puzzle + to go to Puzzle #10, but when I press something else on the screen, it would increment it once more resulting to Puzzle #11 instead.)
iprice said:
How are you exiting from the Stage Select screen back to the main menu? You shouldn't be able to do that - it should go straight to the game. There will be a CANCEL button soon though. If it crashed as a result of a different action, then can you let me know.

What I meant was exiting (using both Volume buttons) from In-game, which is after selecting a puzzle. It often crashes when it goes back to the Main Menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Crashing from exiting game. You are right, but it's not actually crashing - the code is exiting, because you are holding the buttons for slightly too long. I'd never noticed, as I always use the proper EXIT button/icon.

It's another good find for you. Now fixed. :)

Not much time, just a quick test:

-Options screen now works perfectly.
-Button toggle rate is now much better.
-In the "how to play" screen the touchscreen is not working when english language is choosen. (with german everything works fine)
-All OK/Cancel options in the editor do not work with touchscreen.
-In the language screen the touchscreen do not work. (Don't know, if you altered something in this section)

Regards,
Stephan

iprice said:
New update available. :) Check your PMS

Almost there! :p

Touchscreen still doesn't work in the following areas:
- Select Language screen
- How To Play screen (under English language)
- Puzzle Editor's Confirmation dialogs

The Confirmation dialogs for the other screens are working with touchscreen, even those In-game; only those in the Puzzle Editor aren't working.

The increment/decrement bug in the Puzzle + & - items when using touchscreen seems to be partially fixed, but still exhibits bugs under these scenerios:

Scenerio 1:
- Touch anywhere aside from the toolbar
- Touch Puzzle +/- which results in an increment/decrement
- Touch any item in the toolbar aside from the previous one will cause a second increment/decrement

Scenerio 2:
- Touch any item in the toolbar aside from Puzzle +/-
- Touch either Puzzle +/- will not result in an increment/decrement
- Touch any where else aside from the toolbar will then cause the increment/decrement

Scenerio 3:
- Touch anywhere aside from the toolbar
- Touch Puzzle + which results in an increment
- Touch Puzzle - which still results in an increment
(Same goes when touching Puzzle - first)

The D-pad controls also seems to act oddly when using the Puzzle + & - items. There seems to be a small interval after each press that causes any button press to be ignored. So rapidly tapping the B button to increment/decrement will be useless as the following taps are ignored until the interval expires. Same goes when pressing any directional button when the interval is still present. Although the repeat function when holding down the B button works.

The directional buttons in the Puzzle Editor seems to move too fast. Under my normal way of pressing, it usually moves by 2 blocks making it inaccurate and frustrating sometimes.

The Select Puzzle screen is now much better, although I do wonder if only 60 puzzles can accessed through this.
EDIT: I verified what Stephan pointed out about the English/German How To Play screen. I wouldn't have noticed this one as I only test with the English language. Nice find Stephan. :D

The "How To Play" has no specific information relating to language other than the text, there is no connection between buttons and text no matter what the language. How odd :S

I did alter the Language Selection, as it apparently wasn't working.

It really is strange how the same code will work in one place and not another. The Language selection and OK/Cancel buttons all use the same code as menus. :(

Still I'm narrowing down the problem - at least Main and Options menus are working properly with the touchscreen. :D

Thanks for the feedback, I do know how inconvenient and annoying this all is, but I do value the hard work you are all doing.

[EDIT] Right, now that the forum is allowing me back in...

I've slowed down the D-Pad direction speed in the editor, to prevent moving too fast.

The limit of 60 puzzles may be increased, but I've got to design them first - not easy when I'm concentrating on sorting the menus/dialogue boxes. Then there;s the game to fix... !

I really can't understand why the dialogues don't work in one place but do in another - they are a single function, called from different parts of the program and are thusly exactly the same. There's something very odd happening here. A variable being stored in memory perhaps???

The +/- increment bug is something I'll really have to dig for - that should not happen under any circumstances.

The action delay on the icons was a hope that it would reduce the above problem - I'll set it back to what it was before. Basically you press a button once then it sets a slight delay, and then further presses aren;t accepted until the delay is 0 - exactly as mentioned above.

I've just retested my latest build and some of the maths for the dialogue boxes appears to be screwed up now. Not sure what's changed, but the button hit area for cancel has moved. Hmmmmmm...

Manjuu's said all I was going to, and more: I only did a qhick run through, but everything, save the language select screen, how to play screen, and the exit button from the puzzle editor don't work. I didn't test the actual game, because you haven't done anything to fix that yet (have you?)

OK. Enough of the menus for a moment (I've been working on them, but I also want to get the game working properly too ;))

Here's a quick test of the game mechanic (not a proper test of the game itself)

Read carefully

You should be able to move the red cursor around with D-Pad and/or stylus on the touchscreen.

When you move the red cursor over a Slider (the hollow blue blocks), while holding a button (A,B,X,Y) or pressing the stylus on the screen, the cursor should change to grey and stop moving.

Moving the stylus around (while touching the screen) should make the grey cursor face compass points.

Moving the D-Pad while pressing a button on a Slider should also make the grey cursor face the selected D-Pad direction (it does on F100).

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/blox_test.rar - GP2X executable only (no media).

Fingers crossed.

iprice said:
You should be able to move the red cursor around with D-Pad and/or stylus on the touchscreen.

When you move the red cursor over a Slider (the hollow blue blocks), while holding a button (A,B,X,Y) or pressing the stylus on the screen, the cursor should change to grey and stop moving.

Moving the stylus around (while touching the screen) should make the grey cursor face compass points.

Moving the D-Pad while pressing a button on a Slider should also make the grey cursor face the selected D-Pad direction (it does on F100).

Working correctly as how you described them. Both touchscreen and D-pad controls function, even access to the toolbar is working. :D

I have a complaint for the touchscreen. In some instances, while dragging around to change the compass points, it seems to just let go even though I'm still touching the screen. :unsure:

The movement using the D-pad is much better now, but there is still few instances of skipping by 2 blocks.

Nonetheless, great job. With this, the In-game would now work and be also playable with the D-pad. :)

Cheers Manjuu, that's what I wanted to hear :D

I can slow down the D-Pad movement slightly to try to prevent skipping, but if I make it too slow it could end up being annoying.

As for touchscreen skipping, I'm not sure I can do much about that. Maybe the GP2X/code thinks that you've removed the stylus?

Toolbar access is non-existent, but ready to be supported in this version. The last version required L/R to access and START/SELECT to activate. Whilst this was OK, it didn't feel natural. This is/will be much better. :)

Game now playable :D

You can play only the first level, then you must rest with VOL+ & VOL-

There are no titles, menus, dialogues, options. There is nothing to test but the game itself.

It's working (near) properly on a F100, so it's just how touchscreen fares really.

Controls are touchscreen OR D-Pad to move cursor and any control button (A,B,X,Y) to select a slider (hollow blue cube). Hold button on slider then select direction with D-Pad, then let go of button.

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/blox_test.rar (1.1Mb)

Definitely playable, both for touchscreen and D-pad controls.

Aside from the occasional skipping like before, I didn't find any problems. Way to go. :)

I personally liked that the red box disappears when using the touchscreen. B)

I did notice something that was also present in the previous test as well. I can't do diagonals using the D-pad in my F-200 in these In-game tests, unlike in the Puzzle Editor.

Congrats on getting the In-game to finally work. Almost done! :D

Excellent :D

I'll sort out diagonals for you.

As for the disappearing red cursor - that was deliberate. Why leave a non-essential cursor on screen when you don't have to :)

Now to integrate the GUI options and tie it all back with the other stuff.

I can't believe the menus took longer to fix (and may still be broken) than the actual game. Go figure :p

Cheers Manjuu

New B'lox! update available - check PMs :D

Thankyou for all of your valuable assistance so far, hopefully the end is nigh :)

The link is dead... more info in the PM. Now you've got me all suspenseful! I really want to see this game work. :D

Honestly without your valuable contribution Vilmos, I doubt I'd even be close right now. The F100 has made such a big difference in development. I've PM'd you a link to the latest version. :)

There's been so much that worked fine on pc, but didn't on GP2X - but I would never have known without your F100 and the information from Manjoo, Stephan and Noremakk.

Eek! While testing today I came across two new bugs that have crept in due to my recent changes. :(

1) "Sticky" Difficulty buttons on "Puzzle Select" - NOW FIXED

2) Sliders on the screen sides are not allowing movement. NOW FIXED

I've had the second problem before, very early in the project so I know what's causing it and it should be easy to fix. An update should be available later. :)

[EDIT] Both bugs fixed. :)

So, back from holiday and a new version to test - Excellent...

A few little german translations errors:

"Gelb Feld" must be "Gelbes Feld"
"Blau Feld" must be "Blaues Feld"
"Grün Feld" must be "Grünes Feld"

"Gelb Schieber" must be "Gelber Schieber"
"Blau Schieber" must be "Blauer Schieber"
"Grün Schieber" must be "Grüner Schieber"

Exit dialog from Puzzle Editor:

"Exit Puzzle Editor?" must be "Puzzle Editor beenden?"

"Herzlichen Glückwunsch" dialog from game:

"Puzzel komplett" must be "Puzzle komplett"

In the options screen and the puzzle select screen the touchscreen doesn't seems to work. In the rest of the game the touchscreen seem to work fine. (Language select, puzzle editor, game)

My batteries are now empty. More intense testing of this problem later...

Regards,
Stephan

Back