Testing Wanted For A New Gp2x F200 Game

The "grab and drag" problem is now present, but it does detect what menu number the crosshair is under. :(

The rest of the screens still works fine.

As of the Puzzle #35, you don't have to make it easier. I was just wondering if it was solvable. :p

I may have just found the answer -

It looks like the problem may well be caused by GLBasic's INTEGER command.

Most languages' variables are integers (whole numbers like 7), unless you specify them to be floats# (decimal numbers like 0.555).

GLBasic does this the other way around - all variables are automatically floats.

This causes problems when dividing a screen position by a value - you get a float# back (the stylus can't possibly be at position 100.753, 235.2456 - instead it should read 100,235). Whilst pcs appear to accept this, the GP2X looks like it's throwing a fit - hence touchscreen isn;t working correctly.

GLBasic doesn't appear to like equations within an INTEGER command eg

CODE

MouseState mx,my,b1,b2 // Get mouse/stylus position and button states

mouse_position_y=INTEGER(my/22) // Each option is 22 pixels apart

Print mouse_position_y, 200,20 // Show the mouse_position_y value

I've never known any language baulk at such an equation, but it looks like this may be the root cause.

This next test - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_055.rar

still uses the INTEGER command, but not in an equation - instead I've done this -

CODE

mouse_position_y=my/22

Print INTEGER(mouse_position_y),200,20

to see if this makes any difference.

Fingers crossed! :D

Hmm... nothing seems to have changed (aside from the menu number indicator not disappearing when out of menu range).

Still the same as before, the "grab and drag" problem. :(

After posting I realised that if it is the Integer command, then I am actually still using it, just not in as complex a way. I was working last night, so didn't have a chance to try out something that doesn't use it.

It may not be that at all however. It could be unrationally connected to the button action routine. Why I don;t know, but none of this is making a lot of sense, really.

I'll try something a bit later on.

iprice said:
New update. - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_056.rar

This version uses a completely different method for obtaining the stylus position/highlight. I've removed all INTEGER commands just in case that is to blame. I've also removed button pressing, to further eliminate possible problems.

Hmm, I got behavior just like the last release...including dpad navigation still working. Dpad wasn't supposed to work with this release was it? I did get a 1.056 title screen...

Last edited by a moderator:
Coder_TimT said:
Hmm, I got behavior just like the last release...including dpad navigation still working. Dpad wasn't supposed to work with this release was it? I did get a 1.056 title screen...

Same as Coder_TimT said.

@Coder_TimT: I think the selecting of the menus using D-pad controls (i.e. B button) was removed, not the menu navigation.

:(

Like Manjuu said, D-Pad was still implemented, but A,X,Y,B buttons activation was removed.

BTW What is the range of the stlyus when not dragging the cursor (using X,Y positions).

New update - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_057.rar

I've removed everything that isn't relevant to the touchscreen - no D-Pad support, no volume adjustment, no button presses.

iprice said:
:(

Like Manjuu said, D-Pad was still implemented, but A,X,Y,B buttons activation was removed.

BTW What is the range of the stlyus when not dragging the cursor (using X,Y positions).

New update - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_057.rar

I've removed everything that isn't relevant to the touchscreen - no D-Pad support, no volume adjustment, no button presses.

Ahh...before 1.056 I was actually a couple of releases behind and didn't realize the activation buttons were back in...

Anyway as for 1.057, touchscreen now works as expected. Cursor jumps to position touched on screen and menu items will highlight.

Also, in the earlier non-working releases, when not dragging the cursor X,Y coordinates do not change at all...

It is working now. Although, it seems that the hit area and graphics of the menus are misaligned with each other; it's off by a few pixels upwards.

Nothing outside of the Options screen seems to broken.
iprice said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this question.

The initial position of the crosshair according to the X,Y indicators is 0,0.

On the previous release where the touchscreen is broken, the X,Y position reflects the position of the crosshair, not that of the stylus.

On this current release, the X,Y position is the same with the crosshair and stylus as the touchscreen is working as it should be.

Excellent. :D

Does the menu turn red when the stylus is over it?

BTW I meant that when you moved the stylus (without dragging the cursor) in the non-working version, did the X and Y values change from zero? What were the maximum X and Y values? However, as this appears to be working then this point no longer matters. :)

iprice said:
Excellent. :D

Does the menu turn red when the stylus is over it?

BTW I meant that when you moved the stylus (without dragging the cursor) in the non-working version, did the X and Y values change from zero? What were the maximum X and Y values? However, as this appears to be working then this point no longer matters. :)
Answers three posts up.... :D

So you don't have to go back a page, yes the menus highlight, and in the non-working version, the x,y coordinates never changed without dragging...

New update - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_058.rar

This one should allow you to select an option with the the touchscreen only. D-Pad control is completely absent - I will replace it if this version works.

Now for something completey different - I had a bit of time last night, but no access to the internet, so while waiting to post the above update I tinkered with something new. http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/gp2x_picross.rar It's going to be a GP2X version of Picross - the picture crossword puzzle game.

It doesn't really do anything yet, but you can (or should be able to) move the cursor with D-Pad or hopefully touchscreen. It generates random images at the moment (on F100 stick click generates another, obviously you can't do that on F200).

iprice said:
New update - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_058.rar

This one should allow you to select an option with the the touchscreen only. D-Pad control is completely absent - I will replace it if this version works.

The touchscreen seems to stop working after the first (few) touch anywhere in the Options screen; after that, it regress back into the "grab and drag" problem. The menu selection works correctly.

Nothing else seems to broken.

iprice said:
Now for something completey different - I had a bit of time last night, but no access to the internet, so while waiting to post the above update I tinkered with something new. http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/gp2x_picross.rar It's going to be a GP2X version of Picross - the picture crossword puzzle game.

It doesn't really do anything yet, but you can (or should be able to) move the cursor with D-Pad or hopefully touchscreen. It generates random images at the moment (on F100 stick click generates another, obviously you can't do that on F200).

The game seems to be working properly, both for D-pad and touchscreen controls.

I sometimes incorrectly select a block, but I guess it can't be helped due to the nature of the touchscreen and the size of the blocks. :p

If you're interested, the GP2X has a previous picross homebrew game called "Ghostpix". It lacked touchscreen support as the F-200 wasn't yet released at that time. I think it also lacked a random image generator.

Hmmmm... so it works correctly at first, but then stops working as it should. Is it made worse by accessing menus? If you constantly clicked Language does it stop functioning properly after a certain number of presses? Does the cross return to 0,0? At least it's partially working :/

I didn't know about Ghostpix, but I shall look out for it.

The images are only randomly generated for this test, which was just a quickie to see if touchscreen worked properly. The proper game will have proper puzzles. I could always leave in a random puzzle option...

Thanks Manjuu

iprice said:
Hmmmm... so it works correctly at first, but then stops working as it should. Is it made worse by accessing menus? If you constantly clicked Language does it stop functioning properly after a certain number of presses? Does the cross return to 0,0? At least it's partially working :/

It just stops working after touching anywhere when entering from the Start Menu, whether accessing the menus or not; it won't work if coming from the other screens (i.e. How To Play screen & Puzzle Editor) within the Options screen.

The selecting of the menus still works properly, even after it regress into the "grab and drag" problem; the crosshair just needs to be dragged to a menu to access it, and further taps anywhere would still access the same menu. Constantly selecting a menu doesn't seem to break the selection, but doesn't fix the navigation problem.

The crosshair returns back to 0,0 whenever entering the Options screen from the Start Menu. If coming from the other screens within the Options screen, the crosshair stays at the last coordinate touched before going back to the Options screen.

I've had enough of this. There's just no point in going round in circles. I feel I'm fighting a battle I just can't win at the moment. I can't actually see what the problem is, or where it lies physically. I don't know if it's a bug in GLBasic, the F200, or just my coding. I'm perhaps changing and adapting stuff that works fine because of one little flaw that could be anywehere in the hardware or software.

The game appears to play fine, so I'm just going to concentrate on adding new puzzles and such.

I will probably buy an F200 at some point, so I'll be able to see for myself exactly where the problem lies. I can't just keep reprogramming the same section of code again and again hoping that this last change has fixed the problem, and relying on others to give feedback. It's really not fair on you guys.

You've all done a fantastic job and I really do value your feedback, which has enabled me to get the game playable on both GP2X F100 and F200, something I could never have done.

I will of course be sharing this game with the whole community and look forward to writing more for the GP2X, but maybe I'll concentrate on F100 for the time-being. Of course, I'm going to stick around here - it's a nice place, and hope that you'll all want to assist me in GP2X development in games to come.

Cheers guys you've all been really great, and I will mention each and everyone that gave assistance in the game's ReadMe :)

Of course if I have any brainwaves I will post updates here.

OK. I lied, kind of. This thing is haunting me now.

Here's another update http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_059.rar

This one allows you to switch on/off certain actions within the Options menu.

Press A, B, X and Y to toggle options. I've given a vague indicator to what each button does.

0 means toggle is off
1 means toggle is on

All toggles are 0 (off) when first starting, you won't visually see any actions (or cursor movement) and you won't be able to access any menu options.

You'll see that certain actions will require other toggles to be on (eg you can't access the Clear Profile option if you have no GUI dialogue or menu access.

Let's try to find exactly which toggles bugger up the menu access.

Touchscreen only (no D-Pad).

YES! PICROSS! Sorry, I just really love picross... Anyways, I'm sorry I haven't shown up recently, but these new versions are coming out too fast for me! I'll get the occasional new one, but I'm too busy right now to test all of them. :(

Back