The Cases Are Fine: Ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
Look, perfect is never going to happen, and never does. What will be perfect is in 2 months time, when we've mostly all got Pandora's in our hands and are playing the new stuff that we, developers not scared of a few smudges, are waiting to pitch into the field.

It is time for you, craig, michaels, and co., to SHIP. SHIP!!!

The cases are not fine, nor will they ever be with this factory's involvement.
That should not stop OP from going ahead with MP however with these latest cases. That is the best you will get. If you want a better case, there are several options:

1. Dismantle Pandora on receipt. Sand and file plastic case ensuring port exits are square and tidy. Airbrush entire case finishing off with a few coats of sprayed lacquer.
2. Make your own out of sheet aluminium. Time consuming, a skilled job, but excellent results can be achieved
3. Wait a few months for a better case (from a different company). Buy it and put pandora internals in that

Option 1 if probably the easiest and best in the short term. No reason why you cant end up with a professional looking piece of kit.

borgqueenx said:
can i also start my own topic about this?
+1

Let's not clutter the first page with useless topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
can i also start my own topic about this?
absolutely, we should all post a topic about this[/sarcasm]

... not that i have anything against shipping, i too think that they should just do it now.

edit: sort of ninja'd by mali

torpor said:
Look, perfect is never going to happen, and never does. What will be perfect is in 2 months time, when we've mostly all got Pandora's in our hands and are playing the new stuff that we, developers not scared of a few smudges, are waiting to pitch into the field.

you've got to remember that that they aren't just trying to please us, the first 4000 buyers. they are also trying to ensure that once they release the first 4000, they will be good enough and have high enough quality that it will make others want to buy it. so really, whether or not you want it now, pales in comparison to their total objective which is to please more people than just you. they also actually want to make a profit.

Did you miss the edit from M.Westons post? There's no way they can ship with an error like that.

MWeston said:
EDIT: Two more pages were written since typing this. Ah yes, the hinge area. There are clips in that area that hold the two halves tightly together and they screwed up somehow. On this revision, the recessed spots for the clips to sit in got completely evacuated and there are holes right through the case. They didn't do this on rev2. Rev2 just had roughness on the bottom edges of these parts and not the destruction of the clip channels like this time.

purplesky said:
2. Make your own out of sheet aluminium. Time consuming, a skilled job, but excellent results can be achieved

Sounds like a good way to not get any wifi/bluetooth reception...

El Jefe said:
purplesky said:

My aluminium MacBook Pro seems to connect better to WiFi and Bluetooth than my plastic cases Sony Vaio.

Tokiopop said:
El Jefe said:
purplesky said:

My aluminium MacBook Pro seems to connect better to WiFi and Bluetooth than my plastic cases Sony Vaio.
Your aluminum macbook pro has a plastic "wireless window" under the screen, the black plastic part.

The bit where all the hot air comes out of?

I doubt it, unless Apple wanted their airport card to overheat.

I can live with these cosmetic flaws but I agree it wouldnt work for 2nd or 3rd batchers. I still hope the factory has used some inferior method or plastic to make these.

Tokiopop said:

My E71's case is stainless steel, the wifi and the 3g and bluetooth all work exceptionally well.

I was very happy with the rev 2 cases.

I love the option of getting a replacement case down the line at a small fee.

I'd be happy to own one of the first 500 or what ever the number may be thanks :)

Please let some Panda's out into the wild guys :D

He's right, just ship already!

The way I see it the plastics company isn't going make them any better than this. After all, they did say everything would be fixed in this revision! And that hasn't happened. When you buy cheap you can't expect more. The only way to get a better result would be to pay more money and go with a different plastics firm. Which would of course mean more money, and you'll be waiting a very long time. We're talking months. If people want perfect cases and want to wait, that's fine by me. I think we should be able to choose.

torpor said:

Well it's final Torpor says to ship it, I'm sorry guys he put his foot down.

My gut says the finish will be better when they do a "real" run. (Note: My gut does not deal in facts or science and counts for nothing).

My head says we need to learn more about the hinge issue, if it is an issue.

Tokiopop said:

The airport card is near the battery, the antennas for all wireless connections are under the screen in that plastic area, the airport card just plugs into the antenna. There is no danger from an antenna heating up...
rabidpoobear said:
My E71's case is stainless steel, the wifi and the 3g and bluetooth all work exceptionally well.
I've got an E71 as well, pimpin phone, but the case is not solid steel. The battery cover and the keyboard+screen lining are the only metal parts, leaving plenty of space for antennas. Metal blocks radio waves, you can't get a signal inside a cage. Remember the first gen iPhone? That was mainly metal. except for that bigass ugly black plastic wireless window at the bottom. They would not have put that in if it weren't necessary.

Gruso said:
My gut says the finish will be better when they do a "real" run. (Note: My gut does not deal in facts or science and counts for nothing).

My head says we need to learn more about the hinge issue, if it is an issue.

But what does your heart say, Gruso?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back