The Humble Indie Bundle

Purchased it Yesterday!

And Today they Included One more game! What a nice surprise! =)

The Penumbra games are actually really cool, they are the only really scary games I have played. This looks like a good pack to get, I'm going to go for it and give the Penumbra copies away as gifts.

I had never heard of Aquaria or Lugaru so those will be bonuses.

Not normally into recently made games but seem of these look up my alley so I went ahead and grabbed it. Glad they're all Linux native, that's a big help. Will try after the cast comes off.

Bought them, installed them, played a few of them. Good stuff! Me recommends.

It amuses me that the Linux users are the most generous and the windows users are the stingiest when it comes to paying what we want. Lets see now - Aren't all linux users pirates who's only motivated by leeching off the work of others and get something for nothing? I seem to remember variations of that theme repeated many times :)

Moxie said:

It amuses me that the Linux users are the most generous and the windows users are the stingiest when it comes to paying what we want. Lets see now - Aren't all linux users pirates who's only motivated by leeching off the work of others and get something for nothing? I seem to remember variations of that theme repeated many times :)

Where does this put OSX/Apple users? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kangal said:
Where does this put OSX/Apple users? :huh:
Apple users obviously have huuuuge amounts of money which they prefer to only ever spend on Apple products.

Moxie said:

I like that the Linux side makes up about 1/4 of the total dollar amount, even more than OS X users. Considering that Linux is often put around %1 of the OS marketshare, that's really saying something. :) Looks like the average contribution has also gone up almost a dollar since the start of the promotion, and they've raised more than $700,000 in less than a week! Don't know how much each dev team normally pulls in on their own or how much of the total is going to charity, but I imagine this has been at least a financial success for them. I know it's bought them a lot of favorable public opinion and valuable word-of-mouth.

I've had some time to give the games a try (except Samrost 2), and there's a lot of neat game concepts and mechanics going on. This is a really diverse pack of gaming experiences, I think it's a good showcase for the kind of creativity that exists among Indie devs. Just wish some of them supported windowed mode and my Logitech Precision control pad.

Moxie said:
That caught my eye too, but I noticed after ordering that it defaulted to windows. So unless it defaults to the OS you're currently using, then the information might be biased against windows. Although, in all honesty, those numbers don't surprise me at all. It's probably accurate.

Mr.Confuzed said:
That caught my eye too, but I noticed after ordering that it defaulted to windows.
Nope, it defaults to the system you are using, it was Linux for me.

Boing Boing is reporting that if the donations reach $1,000,000, the developers will release the source code for Gish, Penumbra and Lugaru. Ports ahoy!

death wears a big hat said:
Boing Boing is reporting that if the donations reach $1,000,000, the developers will release the source code for Gish, Penumbra and Lugaru. Ports ahoy!
No Way! I love Gish, it will be great to have it on the Pandora. I'm not sure if Penumbra will run on the Pandora but it would be a great engine to have. Lugaru, I still haven't installed it, just downloaded it, but ninja fighting bunnies just doesn't do it for me, it would be a cool engine though.

Yeah, about Linux users being more generous, it doesn't surprise me. Everyone thinks that people that use Linux do it for cost, while this may be true for some businesses and schools I think most home users use it just so they don't have to use freaking virus programs that slow their PC down to a crawl and constantly need to worry about security. At least that is how it is for me. I also don't pirate software, ever, games or productivity, yet when people hear that I use Linux they think everything on my PC is stolen. If someone that wants to give me something for free, i.e. Linux, I'll take it, but that doesn't make me want to steal software, just the opposite.

Letalis Sonus said:
Mr.Confuzed said:
That caught my eye too, but I noticed after ordering that it defaulted to windows.
Nope, it defaults to the system you are using, it was Linux for me.
I'm not certain, but I seem to remember none of the boxes being ticked when I clicked through.
(I selected Linux+Windows)

EDIT:
To be honest, being a Linux user has made me totally comfortable pirating Windows.
It's just made it feel like an OS is something that should be free.

But I still pay for games (mainly due to Steam sales, I'd have to say).

Huh, I was going to say it looks like they are not going to make it but it goes up 1000 or so every few minutes so it just might. Hope it does. If you just got the games and donated nothing go back and at least give 'em $20 bucks, the games are at least worth that much.

I'm not sure we will made it, only 10 hours left and the donation pace have slowed down, at the moment.
But some made really big donation, I looked at the top, one of them gave 1000$.

So looking at the stats my conclusions are :
Microsoft users aren't aware of the indie games and aren't really interested into getting the source.
Linux users are enthusiastic about indie games and/or really want to have games open source. (note, I don't think it could have been different ;) )
Mac users stand in the middle. (we're doing our best, but we're already broke from buying a mac :lol: )

120,000 away, it still might make it. I'll be at work and won't get to check up on it until it's over. I hope it gets to 1,000,000 by then. I won't be surprised either way now, it could stay this way or donations could pick up right at the end.

Back