The Rabbit Joint

"Luckily, I speak leet."
dorkie.gif

I'm not in the mood to start a new topic, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my shitty laptop. It's a Toshiba Tecra 8100 that I got as a gift. It has an 800 mhz processor and 128 mb of ram. Basically, I'm looking for a lightweight OS to put on it (and yes, I've googled it but most of the results pissed me off and I punched my laptop right in it's stupid face). Xubuntu runs way too slowly to be enjoyable, and Puppy Linux was too confusing and buggy to install. What I'm looking for in an OS is that it's preferrably linux, plays videos, runs firefox, pidgin, and it would be nice to have a full desktop environment (I won't hold my breath for it though). I'm not very good at internets and linackses so I'd like something easy to use. HALP PLZ!
Edit: forgot to mention I'd like something easy to install, my craptop can't take much more abuse from my impatience.

800mhz/128mb - You can get an OLDER distro running KDE. Hit ebay and find more ram.

You could easily run Knoppix 3.6 (INSTALL TO HDD!) with KDE. It's a few year's old but so is your laptop.

XFCE? You might be able to get a lightweight Distro (Gentoo and install ONLY what you NEED) and then put XFCE on top of it. Make a huge ass Pandora.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it would seem that DSL won't mount USBs and such automatically. I'm probably still gonna give it a try though. I'm getting arch with LXDE as well but install instructions seemed complicated. I'm in for a long night.
Wow, the Arch install is really pissing me off so far. At one point I had to press random buttons to get the bootloader working. Well, I guess it's not working. Piss.
Tried to install Damn Small Linux. Now when I boot up it just says "GRUB" but doesn't do anything. Fuck this, any other ideas?
Brb, bowl.

Crunchwrap said:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it would seem that DSL won't mount USBs and such automatically. I'm probably still gonna give it a try though. I'm getting arch with LXDE as well but install instructions seemed complicated. I'm in for a long night.
Wow, the Arch install is really pissing me off so far. At one point I had to press random buttons to get the bootloader working. Well, I guess it's not working. Piss.
Tried to install Damn Small Linux. Now when I boot up it just says "GRUB" but doesn't do anything. Fuck this, any other ideas?
Brb, bowl.
It's called linux, buddy. get used to it.

side note: marijuana is overrated. jwh is where its at

Last edited by a moderator:
Crunchwrap said:
Brb, bowl.

Read my other post, DAMMIT!: KNOPPIX 3.6! Find an old torrent - About 600MB and burn it to a CD. Boot and enjoy! Just stick it in and wait.

Then find some 'cheat codes' (terminal commands) online and install to HDD. Knoppix is freaking AWESOME!
It's a full featured OS on a disk. I used to use it on a P2 @ 333mhz with 256MB RAM. Swap files will help it run on your system until you install to HDD.

Edit: Only saying use 3.6 because it's older and not bloated with the newer crap KDE 4.x+

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the newer Knoppix switched from KDE 3 (Knoppix 5) to LXDE. (Knoppix 6) They never used KDE 4 that I recall.

And I think I heard somewhere that KDE 4 is more efficient than KDE 3, but since nobody ever, ever runs benchmarks besides the Language Shootout and the FFTW guys, I can't back this up. (I'm sure if they removed the stupid shit like Strigi, Nepomuk, and the Plasma widgets it would run great)

Get a current LiveCD of Knoppix. KDE 3 is ugly.

KDE 4 is atrocious!
It's full of bugs and is terrible. Not even customisable. GNOME is better for customisation.
Thanks for the update on Knoppix 6 (LXDE). :)

There's not many bugs here in 4.2. Plasma has a little trouble switching between compositing and no-compositing, but it tends to work okay in either mode. It's just the switching that breaks it. I haven't had anything else crash that I can think of. It runs great.

KDE4.4 works just fine. Crunchwrap, RTFM with arch, they've got a good wikipage that you can follow with instructions on how to do the install. Granted it's a bit more involved than ubuntu.

EDIT: looks like you already did read the page, ignore me.

Back