emulator like MAME, PicoDrive or similar, it does not emulate the CPU. It can
be considered as compatibility layer similar to Wine on PC Linux, however it
does emulate small portion of MMSP2 system-on-chip. It operates by hooking
certain system calls and using realtime patching of code that accesses memory
mapped hardware directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
GINGE - Ginge Is Not a GP2X Emulator ;)

Here in the UK, Ginge is slang for 'someone with ginger hair'.

:)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ginge

It also has some meanings I didn't know of. :lol:

I wonder if emulators and games (like Cave Story, which had frame rate drops, and never ran as smooth as it does on my computer) can have better performance on the Pandora than they did on the GP2X...

I'm guessing a lot of emulators won't work since they may have used the second core...or did they? Did PocketSNES?

quadomatic said:
I wonder if emulators and games (like Cave Story, which had frame rate drops, and never ran as smooth as it does on my computer) can have better performance on the Pandora than they did on the GP2X...

Sure, if they run, they will run smoother. It's not emulated (except for some functions), it's being run natively, so there's more horsepower.
I'm hoping for Zelda Classic which ran on the gp2x, but too slow :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
quadomatic said:

Sure, if they run, they will run smoother. It's not emulated (except for some functions), it's being run natively, so there's more horsepower.

Wait... will some stuff run too fast? I guess we'll have to clock the Pandora down?

Did we determine if clocking down saves battery yet?

SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
quadomatic said:

Wait... will some stuff run too fast? I guess we'll have to clock the Pandora down?

I haven't been here in quite awhile, started to lose interest a bit as I've been messing around with emulators on my Galaxy S, but GINGE just renewed my interest in Pandora big time. I haven't been following Pandora news, I was in the 700-800 pile for GBAX, what does that equate to in time? Can anyone give a guess?

SomeGuy99 said:

Unless the downclocking comes with a downvolting of the cpu, it won't save a single electron. Note how Hotfix 4 from ED will actually remove the downclocking to 14 mhz as it caused problems (namely speed not resetting to the previous one, or taking too much to do so) and the benefits are still to be proven.

Besides, unless the games relied on exactly how much a cycle took to execute, they won't mind a vastly superior cpu. I mean, the GP2X could be overclocked, right? Those games or programs that relied on such timing would speed up when overclocked.

Then again, I barely know of the GP2X scene, so I might be wrong on how many games went so deep to the hardware.

But having such well aged repository of programs is good fresh air to the pandora, wiz and in the future the caanoo.

I like consoles with good backwards compatibility as it helps mitigate the initial lack of software with the best of the previous generation.

SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
quadomatic said:

Only if badly coded - usually, games should run at a certain speed (e.g. 60fps).
Once they reach it, they won't go faster.
But it might be that they could only achieve for example 30fps on the GP2X.
Then they should work faster and smoother on WIZ and Pandora.

Blue Ion said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Unless the downclocking comes with a downvolting of the cpu, it won't save a single electron. Note how Hotfix 4 from ED will actually remove the downclocking to 14 mhz as it caused problems (namely speed not resetting to the previous one, or taking too much to do so) and the benefits are still to be proven.

It's back in - since I changed the scripts a bit and tested it and never had any problem with speed not going back.
I guess that problem mostly occured when you opened the lid while in low-power mode, as that triggered the lid script but not the Power-saving script.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
It's back in - since I changed the scripts a bit and tested it and never had any problem with speed not going back.
I guess that problem mostly occured when you opened the lid while in low-power mode, as that triggered the lid script but not the Power-saving script.
I'm pretty sure there are other problems with downclocking so low. There are people reporting that they lose several minutes/hours on their clock which seems to only be happening when it's in low power mode (or so I've been able to glean from assorted descriptions of the problem).
Regardless, clocking it down so low doesn't really help unless it is accompanied by a reduction to OPP1, as Blue Ion mentioned. I think it was tsh that proved that with his new kernel tests.

Very low quality vid, I might update it with a better version when I figure out how to computer.

Pandora running Cubase in Hatari, driving a Commodore 64 with MSSIAH cart, via USB MIDI. You can't see my face in the video but trust me, it was grinning big.

Alerino said:
great, Gruso, with a few beats on it, we'll throw a house music party, thanks

Nice. Sounds so raw on the real thing. I like it. B)

Anybody seen this video yet? Nice tech video of a new desktop in progress that has some cracking effects in use. Just come across it and it looks pretty damn interesting.

WARNING: Does show a woman with her baps out, so get the kids out of the room first :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Anybody seen this video yet? Nice tech video of a new desktop in progress that has some cracking effects in use. Just come across it and it looks pretty damn interesting.

WARNING: Does show a woman with her baps out, so get the kids out of the room first :)

It looks awesome. Any more info?

Nice use of Michael Jackson too. :D

SomeGuy99 said:
It looks awesome. Any more info?
Not at the moment. Just his YouTube page here!
Hopefully he'll pop by and let us know some more details soon :)

Yeah Michael Jackson was good but I personally prefer the desktop strippers that used to be popular :lol:

The creator already posted on the board about it here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55729-easeenhanced-automated-software-environment-any-interest/

Hi,

Anyone interested in making a video of Ginge in action? I'd love to see how Pcsx4All and Mame4All are running... ;)

Thanks! :)

EvilDragon already posted a video, can't find the thread at the moment but there is the video:

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PAhzBNJE3pI[/media]

Back