TV Out Cable: Time to Mass produce! (2013-06-22)

Got mine, only had chance for a quick play.

Can you actually get the TV to use a resolution >= the Pandora's native resolution? The TVOut Settings window seems to cap me short

Got mine, only had chance for a quick play.

Can you actually get the TV to use a resolution >= the Pandora's native resolution? The TVOut Settings window seems to cap me short
^nope. it's limited to SD TV Resolutions, which is lower than Pandora's native resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
^nope. it's limited to SD TV Resolutions, which is lower than Pandora's native resolution.
Shame.
Do we know if that's a limitation of the software or the hardware? I noticed there were component plugs, and component itself supports a higher resolution.

Not a big deal, but curious :)

Software wise it may be able to be tricked into driving more(if the Pandora Hardware can let it), but the television itself most likely can't go above what it was designed to do.

Correct, it's not component out.. The Pandora only has composite or S-Video out meaning SD resolutions only.

Ah, okay, like I said, it was only a quick look, and I remember seeing the blue plug ;)

Do we know if that's a limitation of the software or the hardware? I noticed there were component plugs, and component itself supports a higher resolution.
Technically it's a hardware problem. In theory the OMAP TV out can be told to drive a wider display very easily, and a taller display with a little bit of effort, but the trick is finding a TV which supports higher resolution through SVideo and composite cables. Hint: they don't. ;) Depending on the TV the wider resolution miiiiight work, depending on whether it converts the signal to standard width and then interpolates up, or scales up directly from the signal. The extra height would at best get cut off and at worst "push" the next frame lower; it wouldn't look good at all.

My first cable I ordered from Dragonbox showed up, I'm glad the dongle design was chosen, It's the perfect size to fit in my small Pandora case I can carry the dongle and a small composite cable perfectly.. My case is an old Gamestop original DS Fat carry case.  I'll keep an S-Video cable in my travel bag when the occasion arrives.

Sorry about the delay, I totally forgot to send the voucher details to Jacquelyne... sorry about that. Will do that this week.
I haven't gotten any mail from GBAX yet. I just want to confirm if you have sent them the necessary details yet. If you have, then I'll try to take this up with them.

-God Ginrai

In theory the OMAP TV out can be told to drive a wider display very easily, and a taller display with a little bit of effort, but the trick is finding a TV which supports higher resolution through SVideo and composite cables. Hint: they don't. ;)
My TV supports either 640 pixels wide or 853, because it's a widescreen telly and can support either 4:3 or 16:9 signals. Course, they appear the same as far as the video signal is concerned - the only difference is whether the TV stretches it out to fill the screen, or leaves it unstretched with black bars left and right. I dunno if there would be any advantage to the software knowing whether it was targetting a widescreen or 4:3 display, so that it could adjust the scaling. It might mean I didn't have to search for the TV remote to do it (which I often lose these days, since my TV now is just a glorified digibox display), but then I have to search for it to select the right ext-channel first anyway.

Speaking of scaling, I've mentioned it in the DraStic thread, but there seems to be some unexpected behaviour when it comes to scaling the output - in that it scales the window to full screen regardless of it's size on the pandora screen or its aspect. Mostly that's not a problem since most emulators simulate a 4:3 screen that's the full height of the screen, so can be rescaled using the TV controls, but emulators like DraStic only has one screen mode that fills the vertical resolution, and then it's far narrower than 4:3, or other modes that fill the widescreen horizontal but don't fill the vertical and so get screwed up by being stretched too tall. I'm ignoring TV split mode here, of course, which works fine and is glorious.

Tl;dr - the scaling breaks DraStic, if you're trying to record both screens using the cable. And Vectrex too.

Sorry about the delay, I totally forgot to send the voucher details to Jacquelyne... sorry about that. Will do that this week.
I haven't gotten any mail from GBAX yet. I just want to confirm if you have sent them the necessary details yet. If you have, then I'll try to take this up with them.

-God Ginrai
Would like to know this too as I will be receiving my pandy soon...

Give it up guys. Assuming ED's sent the email, he'll need to send it another three times over the coming months until he even gets acknowledgment, and then nothing will happen with that information for months or years, if it ever happens.

I hope to be proved wrong, but that's my experience of dealing with Craig's organisation. It's not worth the stress worrying over.

As long as you don't need Craig himself to do anything, it's not so bad. In my few interactions with the Rothwell Dimension I've found Jacquelyn to be responsive, helpful and polite (though it may have helped that most of those times I was telling them that I wanted to send them some money).

Not sent it yet - as I was totally busy with catching up with orders.

Tomorrow is planned eMail day for me.

In theory the OMAP TV out can be told to drive a wider display very easily, and a taller display with a little bit of effort, but the trick is finding a TV which supports higher resolution through SVideo and composite cables. Hint: they don't. ;)
My TV supports either 640 pixels wide or 853, because it's a widescreen telly and can support either 4:3 or 16:9 signals. Course, they appear the same as far as the video signal is concerned - the only difference is whether the TV stretches it out to fill the screen, or leaves it unstretched with black bars left and right. I dunno if there would be any advantage to the software knowing whether it was targetting a widescreen or 4:3 display, so that it could adjust the scaling. It might mean I didn't have to search for the TV remote to do it (which I often lose these days, since my TV now is just a glorified digibox display), but then I have to search for it to select the right ext-channel first anyway.

Speaking of scaling, I've mentioned it in the DraStic thread, but there seems to be some unexpected behaviour when it comes to scaling the output - in that it scales the window to full screen regardless of it's size on the pandora screen or its aspect. Mostly that's not a problem since most emulators simulate a 4:3 screen that's the full height of the screen, so can be rescaled using the TV controls, but emulators like DraStic only has one screen mode that fills the vertical resolution, and then it's far narrower than 4:3, or other modes that fill the widescreen horizontal but don't fill the vertical and so get screwed up by being stretched too tall. I'm ignoring TV split mode here, of course, which works fine and is glorious.

Tl;dr - the scaling breaks DraStic, if you're trying to record both screens using the cable. And Vectrex too.
You can adjust the width and height of TV out in the TV config window on your Pandora.

You can adjust the width and height of TV out in the TV config window on your Pandora.
Ah, so you can, which at least means there's a workaround for recording video. Not exactly easy to use, and I'd count the fact it distorts the aspect by default as a bug, but at least the functionality is there if you need it.

Does the cable come with some sort of quick-start guide, or are the different options ("Main", "Main, Overscan", "Overlay", "HW Scaler") self-explanatory when you try them? (Because I'm rather puzzled what might be the best to use depending on what I want to display on the TV. But I also don't have my cable yet).

Back