Unofficial Openpandora Community Blog

(naw)mcx posted on Dec 31 2008 at 12:10 PM said:
I saw that and thought

"Please wait", that must be the slogon or something?

:lol: that was a good one...uh, I mean no, total evil, boooh!.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
joa said:
My second post about this, I can't stress enough how nice it is when i want to check any snippet of info/update to just click bookmarks in firefox....

awwww....bliss.
I agree. Despite the fact that we have to actually write the posts, having 4 users really lightens the load, and I'm often finding out new stuff in the morning posted by the other users. It's also very satisfying to watch comments roll in, to see where people are coming from in the blog stats, and watching the number of users vsiting rise slowly - we're currently at around 800 page views and it's barely past midday where I am.

Ångstöm boot time:
ED said:
Von SD-Karte dauerts momentan 8 Sekunden, vom NAND (ja, es gibt schon erste NAND-OS-Versionen) noch ca. 40 Sekunden bei JFFS2 - da werden wir ein anderes Filesystem probieren, denn anhand der Specs vom NAND Chip sollte das in 10 - 12 Sekunden möglich sein.

Free Translation said:
Booting from SD takes 8 seconds, booting from NAND(yes, the first NAND-OS version is available) takes 40 seconds with JFFS2 - we will try another file system, looking at the specs it should be possible to boot in 10-12 seconds from NAND
(Side notes from me, not ED):
1. NAND booting time was also slow on OMAP2.
2. Here is a benchmark of beagle board's NAND
http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/sd-a...and-read-speeds

I have added the RSS feed to my XBMC, could I ask that people adding entries provide more info in the title rather than one meaningless word. The RSS feed would be more informative that way.

The boot screen is currently loaded by psplash, so the screen is easily exchangable. The devs want to switch to bootsplash later on so that you can also see the console output while booting, if you wish.

mazza558 said:
It'd be really interesting if we overtook the official blog in terms of rank :p
If? Think positive - When. ;)

TaG said:
And yesterday we had 1310 visits! (1079>1192>1310) B)
Yesterday 1600 visits - 1079>1192>1310>1600.

Polossatik said:
I'm asking input from Mweston on this, still discussing this with him but he did provided already something that is good to know (I quote):

"the voltage should always be between 5 and 6 volts with 5.2-5.5 volts being the best. If the voltage goes above 6.5V-ish, the DC input will be shut off and the system will fall back to battery power"

(Edit: To avoid any mistakes this is about the 5v DC input jack, not the USB power)

This makes sense seen most "standard 5v powersupplies" are really not that well regulated, hence only dropping to 5v when on full load but easily go to 5.8v or so when only providing a light load.

So we should regulate to 5.3 V or so not 5.0 V.
It also means that some ripple on the regulation would not cause any problem as long as it is not to high ( a few 0.1 V's).

mali said:
Ångstöm boot time:
ED said:
Von SD-Karte dauerts momentan 8 Sekunden, vom NAND (ja, es gibt schon erste NAND-OS-Versionen) noch ca. 40 Sekunden bei JFFS2 - da werden wir ein anderes Filesystem probieren, denn anhand der Specs vom NAND Chip sollte das in 10 - 12 Sekunden möglich sein.
Free Translation said:
Booting from SD takes 8 seconds, booting from NAND(yes, the first NAND-OS version is available) takes 40 seconds with JFFS2 - we will try another file system, looking at the specs it should be possible to boot in 10-12 seconds from NAND
What about yaffs? It should be faster than jffs2 on boot.

http://www.yaffs.net/comparison-yaffs-vs-jffs

lastman71 said:
What about yaffs? It should be faster than jffs2 on boot.
http://www.yaffs.net/comparison-yaffs-vs-jffs

Yaffs has no transparent compression, most (if not all) of the slowness of jffs2 comes from using compression.
I chose yaffs for a router I helped design, and I like its stability and durability (kernel panics, power outs), compared to JFFS, but that was 6 years ago, so I don't know how much of that experience is still applicable. On the Nokia 770/N800/N810, JFFS2 appears to work great, and I don't notice a big difference when booting from JFFS2 on NAND compared to EXT2 on SD (I do tend to use slow SD cards).

Gruso said:
I'll put something up about the keyboard layout (including the new ED quote provided by Mali) today.

I just have to wake up first. New Year's Eve was... big. :wacko:
Thanks :lol: But be careful, that's a sensitive topic, that everyone is sick of.

Squidge said:
As explained previously in this thread - you don't have to search. The are apps and extensions to browsers that search for the updates for you. It's not like you need to know the exact second something new has happend, a 24 hour delay is acceptable in most cases (and you'll probably visit the forum several times within that window anyway).

Don't get me wrong, everyone here has an immense amount of respect for what you do for the community (coding and otherwise). But, if a fan wants to go out of his way and exert his own effort to "help" the community, why not support it? There is absolutely no reason on earth to be shitting on this thread or this idea.

The ordering process has been a crap fest where fans have been asked to deal with the failures of the Pandora team with the ordering fiasco. I know, you and Pandora team will defend it to the grave, so no sense debating. And people are told on here to "shut it" and take whatever updates are given in perhaps the most callous way possible by fanboys and Pandora reps.

Notwithstanding the above, many still are excited for the machine (even if we aren't excited by the team anymore). Instead of telling people to "just deal with it or go home" and shitting on good ideas like this, you would be better of taking the Pandora approach to news with this thread: Don't post in it and keep your mouth shut.

By the way, there are thousands of news sites. Do you happen to email them all telling them how repetitive they are?

Yes, I am frustrated.

Daryoon said:
Squidge said:
As explained previously in this thread - you don't have to search. The are apps and extensions to browsers that search for the updates for you. It's not like you need to know the exact second something new has happend, a 24 hour delay is acceptable in most cases (and you'll probably visit the forum several times within that window anyway).

Don't get me wrong, everyone here has an immense amount of respect for what you do for the community (coding and otherwise). But, if a fan wants to go out of his way and exert his own effort to "help" the community, why not support it? There is absolutely no reason on earth to be shitting on this thread or this idea.

The ordering process has been a crap fest where fans have been asked to deal with the failures of the Pandora team with the ordering fiasco. I know, you and Pandora team will defend it to the grave, so no sense debating. And people are told on here to "shut it" and take whatever updates are given in perhaps the most callous way possible by fanboys and Pandora reps.

Notwithstanding the above, many still are excited for the machine (even if we aren't excited by the team anymore). Instead of telling people to "just deal with it or go home" and shitting on good ideas like this, you would be better of taking the Pandora approach to news with this thread: Don't post in it and keep your mouth shut.

By the way, there are thousands of news sites. Do you happen to email them all telling them how repetitive they are?

Yes, I am frustrated.

The project reminds me of lots of similar Open Source projects, where if something isn't to a user's desire, they are told to code it themselves. Although I wasn't really told to create a blog, you could tell that there was a desperate need for one. Look at it now - with around 1,200 - 1,600 pageviews a day.

Daryoon said:

I'm not shitting in any thread, I'm just answering the people who say they have to search for the information, because they don't. Nothing wrong with that. I've not said that the unofficial blog is pointless, or a waste of time. If there are people wanting to maintain such a blog, then I'm not going to even attempt to stop them from doing so (or advertising it here). Not once have I said "This is a pointless waste of time" or anything similar. I have just answered peoples questions.

Back