Volcano?

Donno about UPS but DHL is setting up emergency hubs in southern europe/turky to fly stuff to there and then transport it on the road.
I doubt highly if UPS would not be doing the same/similar thing.
It might take some time, but stuff is moving (not talking about pandora delivery - just in general).
Now trying to set up an other place and then try to get the packages re-route would be even bigger waist of time IMHO.

A few planes are supposed to be flying today, but UPS are saying the massive backlog means things won't just be back on track right away.

Polossatik said:
Donno about UPS but DHL is setting up emergency hubs in southern europe/turky to fly stuff to there and then transport it on the road.
I doubt highly if UPS would not be doing the same/similar thing.
It might take some time, but stuff is moving (not talking about pandora delivery - just in general).
Now trying to set up an other place and then try to get the packages re-route would be even bigger waist of time IMHO.

that is really logical, what I really doubt is that openpandora can comes and tell UPS, hey, stop that transit in turkey and deliver it to us there... it should be a so big mess by UPS that i doubt they would do that kind of thing for so small client...

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
A few planes are supposed to be flying today, but UPS are saying the massive backlog means things won't just be back on track right away.

Thanks for the update Craig, lets hope things get back to normal soon. Nothing we can do, but really appreciate the updates. The lure of the production samples were just too much for people to cope with! So near, yet so far!

:)

As long as the valcano situation doesn't worsen in the next few days, it should take UPS 1-2 weeks to get back to normal deliveries. Even if there running at half capacity(less flights than they normally run), they will work crazy overtime to get back up to speed.

Chris

well planes are now moving over head here at least, just not taking off or landing on our airports, but they up there in UK space, tonight at 9pm we get the next update, according to NATS.
Hopefully all will get the green lights and just have to sit out the backlog of orders that are in the queue before our pandora boxes

Comment from NATS:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 1500
The situation regarding the volcanic eruption in Iceland remains dynamic and the latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation will continue to be variable.

Based on the latest Met Office information, part of Scottish and Northern Irish airspace including Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh airports will continue to be available from 1900 today to 0100 tomorrow, Wednesday 21 April, and also south to Newcastle Airport. Glasgow and Teesside airports will additionally become available in this time period. Restrictions will remain in place over the rest of UK airspace below 20,000ft.

Flights above the ash cloud are now permitted in the UK; between 1900 today and 0100 tomorrow, this will enable aircraft movements above 20,000ft in UK airspace.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 2100 today.

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

Ohhhhhhh nooooooo

Shame, but overstood there's nothing can be done eh till the backlog of parcels has been rolled out

-curse these blasted volcanos!

(UPS have just told us they have moved our shipment to some warehouse because the delays are going to be huge.)

I saw that one coming ! we will be waiting months i bet this is true,hence why i say forget the parts already in transit and sort another method for transporting the soon to be produced boards and cases ,but you all shot that one out the sky.......

paddy said:
I saw that one coming ! we will be waiting months i bet this is true,hence why i say forget the parts already in transit and sort another method for transporting the soon to be produced boards and cases ,but you all shot that one out the sky.......
Can you explain the practicalities of this, please?

craigix said:
UPS have just told us they have moved our shipment to some warehouse because the delays are going to be huge.

I guess it can't be helped, the situation is quite bad.

How how things looking in China ? I guess shipment will be a problem Are you still planning on inspecting the first 1000's before letting them produce everything ?

Sorry if other people asked the same question...

No i can't explain i am no expert in getting things around the planet but i am sure there will be another method like shipping to uk that would be faster than the unknown amount of time it will take UPS to catch up with our small cargo.
Plane then boat was a suggestion from another person so something like that for the remaining cases/boards as long as there is an eta that is acceptable to OPT and in the meantime we might get those first shipped parts before or slightly after.

This makes sense to me ,if it doesn't to others fair enough.

paddy said:
No i can't explain i am no expert in getting things around the planet but i am sure there will be another method like shipping to uk that would be faster than the unknown amount of time it will take UPS to catch up with our small cargo.

1 Ton is small cargo? :eek:

Well... you order a delivery via a delivery service and how they transport it is up to them - unless you order a specific shipment method, but going by airplane is usually the fastest.
(Ships do take weeks).

Last edited:
Yes Ed it's small compared to larger companies that use the same company time and time again and will have priority over OpenPandora ,i can imagine this to be true.

In any case this is a suggestion ? yes so why the negativity ? it might just work out for you guys ,emm thats if you want it to.

Ohh and one more thing .... when did i say anything about getting the already lost in transit boards frozen and then re'deploy them by different transport means ? i am talking about the remaining 3000 case and boards that are in production ,tho i am not sure if the remaining cases are in production untill you guys see the first 1000 for yourself and if happy give green light for the last 3000 cases but the other 3000 boards currently being massproduced ,these could be shipped differently yes ?

paddy said:
Yes Ed it's small compaired to larger companies that use the same company time and time again and will have priority over OpenPandora ,i can imagine this to be true.

Not sure. I guess Express packages are faster, okay.
Craig has been an UPS customer for years and ships quite a few packages out each day :)

Last edited:
paddy said:
Yes Ed it's small compaired to larger companies that use the same company time and time again and will have priority over OpenPandora ,i can imagine this to be true.
The only people who should get priority over the Pandora shipment should be medical aid. All other goods should be shipped out the same order as they came in regardless of who sent them.

paddy said:
Plane then boat was a suggestion from another person so something like that for the remaining cases/boards as long as there is an eta that is acceptable to OPT and in the meantime we might get those first shipped parts before or slightly after.

This makes sense to me ,if it doesn't to others fair enough.
QBJECT, who works in the field, gave a good explanation of why boats are a bad idea. Balzac2m then backed up this point with an anecdote about his uncle, who also works in the field, and then QBJECT provided more insight into the matter. These posts explain very fully why, as you put it, we "all shot that one out the sky". ;)

Back