Volcano?

Hopefully it's not going to be more than a week lost to this. We're still waiting on painted cases anyway, so it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps just means the greater 4000 will be assembled closer together.

craigix said:
UPS have just told us they have moved our shipment to some warehouse because the delays are going to be huge.
Uh-oh. We know "shouldn't take too long" takes about two months. I wonder what a huge delay is going to be?

I just lost confidence in a June delivery of our Pandoras (my previous estimate) :(

Blasted volcano!

Last edited by a moderator:
Caine said:
Uh-oh. We know "shouldn't take too long" takes about two months. I wonder what a huge delay is going to be?
3, maybe 4 days tops.
That's how it works, right? Small delays are huge, therefore huge delays are small?

EvilDragon said:
paddy said:
Yes Ed it's small compaired to larger companies that use the same company time and time again and will have priority over OpenPandora ,i can imagine this to be true.

Not sure. I guess Express packages are faster, okay.
Craig has been an UPS customer for years and ships quite a few packages out each day :)

I doubt UPS manage priority based on the company, what i was implying is that if openpandora was asking something like "drop the shippment to turkey instead of UK" they'll simply ignore that kind of request from a so small company...

Good news. Expect a policy change from UK and European Governments with regard to flight in the ash cloud zone sometime on Wednesday. Eurocontrol have produced an Ash Cloud Concentration chart. Yellow area shows forecasted higher ash concentration for the next 6-12 hrs with buffer zone around. This chart has been developed by Eurocontrol using VAAC London input to be utilised by the EU member states in determining a NO FLY ZONE.

New Ash Cloud Concentration Chart

Airlines will be allowed to operate into the ash cloud area(see red outline area below, which is currently the extent of prohibited airspace) as long as they remain clear of the Ash Concentration zone (see previous chart) and carry out risk assessments for operation in the wider ash cloud area to the satisfaction of their respective controlling authorities, ie the CAA for the UK.

VAG_1271785386.png

In other words, everyone will be back flying as per normal come Thursday, unless you want to fly to Benbecula on the Outer Hebrides .................. then you're buggered.

Hope that makes sense, couldn't be bothered with a longer explanation :)

Attachments

• VAG_1271785386.png
    VAG_1271785386.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 85
All UK airports can reopen from 2200 BST on Tuesday, the Transport Secretary Lord Adonis has said.

He added that after the ban was lifted it would be up to airlines to bring flight schedules back on track.

The statement was delivered after consultation with the Civil Aviation Authority and a reassessment of the risk to aircraft from volcanic ash.

Some restrictions will remain in place, but they will be much smaller than those enforced under the current ban.

Dame Deirdre Hutton, of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), said there had been detailed consultation with experts to reassess the tolerance of planes to the ash cloud.

The CAA said it was a "situation without precedent" and that decisions had been made based on "thorough gathering of data and analysis".

YaY!

Not least as my daughter is currently stuck in the US trying to find a hotel in New York which costs less than £300 a night - not easy.
Damn - just noticed.. the revised chart shows the concentration of the ash cloud (to be avoided) is the flight path for all transatlantic routes from the US to the UK :(

Anyway - Let's get those Pandoras rolling :D

sbt said:
Damn - just noticed.. the revised chart shows the concentration of the ash cloud (to be avoided) is the flight path for all transatlantic routes from the US to the UK :(
Which should be fine (I think). They fly over the ash cloud. The problem is taking off and landing through it. Unless they plan to make a landing in the middle of the ocean :)

sbt said:
YaY!

Not least as my daughter is currently stuck in the US trying to find a hotel in New York which costs less than £300 a night - not easy.

Clarion Hotel
Best Western

Both way cheaper than £300 a night, took a minute to find.

Now if you are looking for a room at the Hilton at Times Square, under £300 may be hard to find.

Just thought I'd mention that I was having a smoke stood at my back door when I seen a rare sight, no it wasn't a U.F.O it was a Jet Plane taking off from Manchester Airport flying east so the planes must be flying again Yaaaaaaaaayyyy :)

craigix said:
UPS have just told us they have moved our shipment to some warehouse because the delays are going to be huge.
Stressing them and going on their nerves can do miracles maybe ;)
Still not asked, why UPS needed nearly a whole week before Volcano starts eruption, to ship the package only within the USA? :lol:
I bet, they don't follow the order of all the packages that are delayed when they finaly able to ship. Our Package should be actualy one of the next onto the list ready for flight over the ocean. Would be interesting to know what's UPS' shipping priority now that the Europe (and England) air is nearly ready for flights. I hope size does matter so our 1 ton package is Top Priority. :D

For me, it sounds a little bit like UPS is not able to ship it within one week, even without a Volcano-issue. Thing could get really evil when you suddenly have 100.000 People that want a Pandora. I hope you guys have a solid "Plan B" in case for overwhelming Success of our Handheld. ;)

fusion_power said:
craigix said:
Stressing them and going on their nerves can do miracles maybe ;)
Still not asked, why UPS needed nearly a whole week before Volcano starts eruption, to ship the package only within the USA? :lol:

UPS Freight don't ship as fast as normal UPS. Moving over 1 ton on 4 large palettes isn't as simple as picking up a packet.

Well, I think other Companies have far more Trouble than OP has, so I think we can't do much more than be patient and hope, that UPS ship as fast as they can. I'm not british but I think I need a good and relaxing tea now. ^_^

Moving over 1 ton on 4 large palettes isn't as simple as picking up a packet.

Yes it is!
I do SO MUCH F***ING work with freight forwarders!
Boat or plain: It should be as fast as moving a carton!
They place all cargo on any aircraft - Their own or passenger!

They're either playing games or screwing around.

The Civil Aviation Authority has confirmed that UK airspace will be available from 22:00 today.

Flights can begin to operate from Manchester Airport as soon as our airlines are ready although this could take several hours of organisation.

Couldn't they literally drop-ship it. Push and POOF the parachute opens for a nice calculated landing in the town hall. That'd be a good Pandora Panic minigame.

SirisC said:
sbt said:
YaY!

Clarion Hotel
Best Western

Both way cheaper than £300 a night, took a minute to find.

Now if you are looking for a room at the Hilton at Times Square, under £300 may be hard to find.

You're daughter says she can't find a hotel for less than $460 a night? I'm sorry, but she must not be looking in the right place.

Have I missed the discussion on the earthquake in China? I don't know where the factory is located, so I don't know whether it is relevant.

Edit: Ok, I guess the major quake was a week ago. The news reported on it like it happened in the last few days.

Back