Volcano?

I saw something on the news about some place that had 90 dollar a night rooms but I forgot where they claimed it was.

Some airlines are making flights, some still aren't, and some are making huge detours. Every time people think they can get planes in the air the volcano blows up again and screws with the flight lanes.

You know even with some flights going out the shipping companies are probably getting backed up which would make the waiting que fill up so I wouldnt expect the news that planes are flying to be of any interest to us until UPS says they're loading up.

The skys around the Bristol area are absolutely packed full of vapour trails this morning, so things might start getting back to normal in the next few days, providing Mr volcano doesn't let off another guff.

This is a cool site. Bit slow due to the amount of traffic its getting. http://www.radarvirtuel.com/ . Once we know the flight the shipment is on we can track it coming into UK Airspace :D . Click on a plane it tells you what who the carrier is :)

ging said:
This is a cool site. Bit slow due to the amount of traffic its getting. http://www.radarvirtuel.com/ . Once we know the flight the shipment is on we can track it coming into UK Airspace :D . Click on a plane it tells you what who the carrier is :)
Nice Site. I've seen this mentioned in the TV News. Seems pretty full the air over Europe. :)
In Germany, all restrictions are gone, here we can fly normal again. But of course it will take many days until everything is back on track like it was before.
Of course, Britain is much more important at the Moment. I hope they will start all Freight-Flyers as soon as possible. Especialy Freight from USA ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ging said:

After Earthquake, Volcano and the harsh winter in Canada I would NEVER dare to look at that map when the Pandoras are up there, let alone click on the aircraft. It's probably safest if UPS keeps that information very secret, especially to this strange deity that seems to play against the Pandorians. (Ever read Pratchett?) I am not superstitious but I think with Pandora it's no superstition anymore that we have someone/thing against us :p

kingoddball said:
Moving over 1 ton on 4 large palettes isn't as simple as picking up a packet.

Yes it is!
I do SO MUCH F***ING work with freight forwarders!
Boat or plain: It should be as fast as moving a carton!
Even faster in most cases.
I've been trained up in freight forwarding too (as have most of my family) and can say from experience that I always preferred booking in pallets. So much easier than walking to the warehouse and sorting through piles of crap all the time :)

kingoddball said:
Moving over 1 ton on 4 large palettes isn't as simple as picking up a packet.

Yes it is!
I do SO MUCH F***ING work with freight forwarders!
Boat or plain: It should be as fast as moving a carton!
They place all cargo on any aircraft - Their own or passenger!

They're either playing games or screwing around.

No it isn't.

First, they can't use the normal UPS van, a special van has to come which can handle the 4 palettes - before they can pick them up UPS have to send someone to check the palettes to see which vehicle they require (weight, size).

Second shipping that many batteries at once requires special clearance which you don't need on individual packets.

Third, once it arrives in the UK it needs a large truck to take the palettes to the north of England.

So as you can see, it isn't as simple as a normal express UPS packet (which takes 48 hours - I'd love you to tell me how to ship >1ton in 48 hours).

I was a warehouse manager for several years here in Sin City, and we had a postal, UPS, and Fed Ex mailing accounts in place. We mainly delt with small individual personal packages, and if we called to get a pick up, Fed Ex and UPS would normally arrive within 30 minutes to pick up said package. So that was always nice, but when it came to shipping out pallets of boxes, it was just never quick, unless you wanted to pay thru the nose for some expedited delivery, and even then it could take days to get a pick up(or longer), and then it was delivered thru commercial trucking lines going state to state(1 to 2 weeks delivery time).

Now I'm not saying huge frieght orders can't be handled quickly, as it happens every day, but if your experiance is coming from somewhere that this kind of shippment is the "Norm", that is your point of referance, and yours alone. I am not making excuses, but I can say from my own personal experiance that huge heavy frieght orders are always handled in a slower manner, unless you want to throw thousands of dollars at the situation, which normally leads to paying more for shipping, than what you might be paying for the actual box contents, which is not good for business.

Chris

His name begins with a W and rhymes with "izardstan"

Had a long day at work. Just very tired. Was going to mention they should just produce all of the cases while we are waiting to speed up the entire batch process. But WizardStan made a comment that he wanted Fatih and person to travel (how?) to the factory and look at all 1,000 before giving the go ahead on the other 9,000.

Something I brought up a bit ago. Mweston already gave his seal of approval and it's not like he's been lenient on the cases in the past. So if Mweston already said it's good, I don't see the point in waiting until it's okay to fly Fatih and friend to the factory before any further work could be done.

These cases bother me is all. It's been a rough day and I'm tired. So I apologize if this sounds too much like a rant.

borgqueenx said:
Shit vulcano. Blast it to ashes!

It's doing that quite well by itself. Indeed, that's the problem ;)

In other news: Is it me, or is the ash miasma not reaching Spain? Wonder how their airports and railways are...

Phawx said:
Something I brought up a bit ago. Mweston already gave his seal of approval and it's not like he's been lenient on the cases in the past. So if Mweston already said it's good, I don't see the point in waiting until it's okay to fly Fatih and friend to the factory before any further work could be done.
Need to make sure the samples weren't hand picked as the best of the bunch and that the 1000 are just as good.

SirisC said:
Phawx said:
Need to make sure the samples weren't hand picked as the best of the bunch and that the 1000 are just as good.
^that
i know because i've been on the same position

Phawx said:
I don't see the point in waiting until it's okay to fly Fatih and friend to the factory before any further work could be done.
Fatih is in Turkey. He's free to fly to China right now. There's no ash over his head. That's why I made the (very passive) suggestion of flying out to inspect the 1000 cases personally. The reason for waiting for the first 1000 before ordering the next 9000 has been mentioned; had to be pointed out to me, too, a few days ago. :)

DroneB Dev said:
SirisC said:
Phawx said:
^that
i know because i've been on the same position
This makes sense assuming there is some sort of action you can take if they are not satisfactory..

I doubt there is a lot that could be done as they have already paid them, but that does also mean that any extra work that needs doing is costing the company, so they will be trying their best to get these done right and get them out of their factory

Back