What Have You Bought While Waiting For Your Pandora?

Bought an blue acer aspire one on black friday last year for $249 -- linux version with 8GB SSD.
Then bought a white acer aspire one a few months back with 120GB drive.
Seems my wife took over the blue one.

I'm over in shanghai right now close to a shopping center. I haven't seen anything other than cookie cutter mp4 players around. Anything I should be looking for ?

lulzfish said:
I want to buy something cell-phone-sized that I can program, but they all seem to be very expensive, and Nokia doesn't even want to tell me how I would go about programming any of their stuff.
Maemo development is quite open. Try looking into maemo.org and wiki.maemo.org. You should find whatever you need from cross-compiling tools to howto's and support. Symbian development is a tad different, but there are places to get support for that as well. I think you can get carbide (development IDE) for free for personal use, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
senorgomez said:
4. Z2 Zipit handheld for linux purposes - 25$

Out of curiousity, where did you find the ZipIt Z2 for that price? I can only find $50, which is a bit much for a device I would just play with a bit, but $25 is completely reasonable. Also, are there any e-book readers for it? I've been looking to get my girlfriend a nice little device for reading e-books and this might fit the bill without going to the high priced options.

So far I've only bought an iPod Touch, which is a handy little thing but has some very annoying things about it too (like requiring iTunes for media upload). Depending on how the Pandora works out I'll either replace the Touch with the Pandora or one of the new Android MIDs that should be coming out in the next few months.

Locri Epizephyrii said:
senorgomez said:
4. Z2 Zipit handheld for linux purposes - 25$

Out of curiousity, where did you find the ZipIt Z2 for that price? I can only find $50, which is a bit much for a device I would just play with a bit, but $25 is completely reasonable. Also, are there any e-book readers for it? I've been looking to get my girlfriend a nice little device for reading e-books and this might fit the bill without going to the high priced options.

So far I've only bought an iPod Touch, which is a handy little thing but has some very annoying things about it too (like requiring iTunes for media upload). Depending on how the Pandora works out I'll either replace the Touch with the Pandora or one of the new Android MIDs that should be coming out in the next few months.

I've heard Target stores in the states has it for $25, but I haven't been by my local one to check.

cbox said:
I've heard Target stores in the states has it for $25, but I haven't been by my local one to check.

Ahh, that explains it. I'm in Canada, so no Target around here for me to go to and the company only ships to the US anyway so I'm out of luck. Too bad, it seemed like it'd be a fun gadget to play with for awhile.

PSP with a few games for it and had a friend of mine set it up for emulation too. It's not to bad but the battery life is close to nothing when emulating things like the SNES, since it has to be at 333mhz.

#1 GameMaster said:
PSP with a few games for it and had a friend of mine set it up for emulation too. It's not to bad but the battery life is close to nothing when emulating things like the SNES, since it has to be at 333mhz.

psp is a nice handheld feature wise (innovation of the analog stick), but the battery life is pretty bad. I bought a second hand one and the UMD died about 3 months afterwards. Thank god for custom firmware. It seems the pandora is a natural successor to the psp.

One nice thing, this last trip to china, asiana airlines had 110V power plugs even in cattle class! Allowed me to play disney movies for the little one without any fear. Their on board entertainment system ran some form of windows though...the responsiveness was really laggy and trashy.

cbox said:

Not true where I live. At the targets near me that are supposed to carry these no one has any clue what I'm asking about. That likely means the supply was/is very limited and target may be phasing them out. And yeah, $50 seems to be a tad much for these considering the lack of much horsepower.

I've never seen those Zipit things before. I'm so tempted to get one with our dollar as strong as it is.

There's still time to buy crap before Pandora arrives! Spend!

bnolsen said:
One nice thing, this last trip to china, asiana airlines had 110V power plugs even in cattle class! Allowed me to play disney movies for the little one without any fear. Their on board entertainment system ran some form of windows though...the responsiveness was really laggy and trashy.

Just out of interest, do you *know* it was Windows or are you assuming it was because it was laggy? I've seen unix based ones which are equally as laggy. They have quite a lot to think about, really... Finding and playing the movies from the server, communicating with the seat remote, pausing the videos to blast cabin announcements down your headphones at a ficex ear-drum busting volume...

Anyway the last flight I went on with Emirates had not only 1 power point per seating row, but each entertainment system had a USB slot for looking at photos from memory sticks. Could be good to keep the Pandora's charge topped up. Wonder if I'll actually have a Pandora for my next flight, or if I'll be resigned to playng Dingoo all trip... :)

Obviously I haven't bought this yet since it's not out, but I'd really like something like this: http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/sensaris-debuts-six-axis-moveit-bluetooth-motion-sensor/
It supposedly has 'open source code' so getting it to work on the Pandora might not be too hard, hopefully.

Seeing I just bought a Pandora I don't know if I can really say I've bought anything. But I have been waiting, I remember seeing months ago that the pandora was still being worked on and I thought to myself, sounds like a great product. But in that time I've bought a 360, HTC Touch Pro and had my house half burn down so I had to pretty much buy all new computer stuff :p

The touch pro is nice but it'd be way better if it's 3D drivers were up to par.

Gruso said:
I've never seen those Zipit things before. I'm so tempted to get one with our dollar as strong as it is.

There's still time to buy crap before Pandora arrives! Spend!

You should do it Gruso! It is very fun to play with. Specs aren't amazing for price.

Also there is a new image about to be released. I don't know details, but it might include options for low power consumption out of the box.

I am using my z2 as an SSH station (to get to my screen session of irc, aim, and email), mp3 player (cmus rocks!), and snes/gameboy emulation. Haven't quite nailed the emulation part, I don't know that much about it.

Good times happening! We have an IRC channel to, though I don't think you like to lurk.

Pleng said:
Just out of interest, do you *know* it was Windows or are you assuming it was because it was laggy? I've seen unix based ones which are equally as laggy. They have quite a lot to think about, really... Finding and playing the movies from the server, communicating with the seat remote, pausing the videos to blast cabin announcements down your headphones at a ficex ear-drum busting volume...

Saw something like a reboot on one of the systems we had. The controller was freaking out (bad wire). It was annoying because at times the system (the other seats) would refuse to respond at all with things selected. Also I'm sensitive to this stuff on windows since a high performance processing system I work on is totally hamstrung by its craptastic network performance (server 2008 x64).

The last flight I was on with a linux entertainment system was on a flight to tokyo. I just don't remember being nearly as annoyed with the lagginness.

Same here, I was on a plane to the Caribbean, when we were taking off, the power suddenly went on and off for a sec, and then I saw the Linux kernel booting up. There was no lag problem, I was able to play this multiplayer quiz game... No problems.

i have bought nothing and i'm sad because i don't have a pandora yet :( i don't even have any game systems someone give me a hug

Back