What Software Do People Want?

Morten said:
I would really like a WiFi Sniffer like program!
Me to. :D
Even, if the most People use WPA2 today. AFAIK, these Sniffers are only useful for the old WEP Standard and only, if the Network isn't set to hidden/invisible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince2501 said:
Something I really want to see would be a CPS 3 emulator. I would take SF3: Third Strike well over N64 and it's 10 or so great games.
N64 had a helluva lot more than 10 great games. And even if it did, (which it didn't) that's still more great games than most systems have nowadays.

-God Ginrai

It might be a tall order for even the mighty Pandora, but being able to combine a series of bracketed photos into an HDR image would be really useful for us creative photographers (especially CHDK users). I've only done this with Photoshop before, but I see there are some opensource utillities, such as pfstools and Qtpfsgui.

Being able to whip the SD card out of my camera, stick it in the Pandora and see what you've got, before even taking down the tripod, so you can have another go if it wasn't quite right, would be pretty cool. Even if it downsampled the images first, so you only got a low-res preview, it would still be of some use.

Or, don't take out the SD card at all, just plug it into the USB in the back.

DAW (audio) applications with MIDI capability definitely!!!!!!

trooper said:
Crasherball said:
I hope Wine will be available
for games like d2 :p
or other windows-software
Not going to happen, Two completely different architectures, One`s Arm (Pandora) and the other is x86 (PC).

d2 ?, Not sure what game that is, But if it`s an old game, And was able to run on a 386 pc, Then you may be in luck, If someone was to port Dosbox to the Pandora. Or if this d2 game is open source, Or has the source available, Then there is a good chance that someone could have a go at porting the actually game.

Trooper

I played D2 on dreamcast- didn't know it was on pc at some point? A DC emulator would be awesome- but I don't think pandora could handle the emulation any more than it could a ps2 emulation

vuffi_raa said:
I played D2 on dreamcast- didn't know it was on pc at some point? A DC emulator would be awesome- but I don't think pandora could handle the emulation any more than it could a ps2 emulation
By d2 he meant Diablo 2, is that what you were thinking of?
You're right, as awesome as it would be, Dreamcast emulation won't happen.

I'm not sure if I posted in this thread yet, but I really want a port of ZDoom or at least a Doom port with a nice wad selection screen so we don't need to use the console.

I would probably try to install tangoGPS and navit to use the pandora to contribute to openstreetmap (and to get maps and some navigation).

Both are free and have already been ported to the openmoko, so there shouldn't be great porting issues

Also, it would be nice to have javaME to play cellphone games (midpath is free, but a bit young, and porting won't probably be effortless)

CeilidhaChaos said:
-Rhyming dictionary;
there is a command line app for linux that could be ported

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rhyme/

i will probably install it, and there is a very small chance that i could write some gui frontend, but don't count on it

peca said:
- some .NET (mono) and Python IDE, simple for small display and computer, but complex enough for easy bedroom development.
filiph.ps said:
- some IDE for HTML, Javascript, CSS, PHP, C, C++, Java etc. with autocomplete, auto indent, etc.
There is geany which is a simple and lightweight IDE with support for a few languages. I've compiled it (as a test) for a neo1973 and it works, but on a 480x640 screen the interface is not exactly usable

I had an idea for a simple application whilst reading the "All Of Wikipedia On Pandora?" thread.

I was think about looking at the references (citation needed!) when not connected to the internet, and thought it would be good if clicking on a link would add the URL to a Pages To View list. This would be like a cross between a to-do list and temporary bookmarks, so next time you've got a WiFi connection you can view the page, and delete the entry on the list. May be it could work with all webpages in case you lose your connection whilst surfing.

It would be nice if you could also manually enter URLs as well, so if you see an advert or someone tells you about a website, rather than writing it down, or god forbid, remembering it (!), you could just tap it into your trusty Pandora.

I don't know if it would be better as a Firefox plug-in or a seperate application, but I think it would be fairly useful.

Couldn't you just put that in a text file? There should be plenty of note taking apps. Or go to the browser and make it a new bookmark, you shouldn't need a wifi connection just to open the browser bookmark menu...

monkeyo2 said:
I was think about looking at the references (citation needed!) when not connected to the internet, and thought it would be good if clicking on a link would add the URL to a Pages To View list.
As a very lazy and memory failure kinda guy this actually sound pretty usefull to me, entering it in a PIM kinda app and linking it to a browser

Sounds like it would be simple to do. All you'd need is a script that will copy the selected URL and paste it to a text file. I'm no dev, but it sounds like it would be an easy thing to do.
EDIT: Punctuation.

PlopperZ said:
vuffi_raa said:
By d2 he meant Diablo 2, is that what you were thinking of?
You're right, as awesome as it would be, Dreamcast emulation won't happen.

He was thinking of the Dreamcast game that's actually called "D2."

Really, you people need to stop using confusing abbreviations.

Updated MAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone does do an advanced Doom port screw ZDoom and go with GZDoom. All those nice Open GL features and true-color support would look godly on the Pandora. (Not to mention the ability to play Zero Tolerance on the go. Ooohoohoho.)

Tensuke said:
Couldn't you just put that in a text file? There should be plenty of note taking apps. Or go to the browser and make it a new bookmark, you shouldn't need a wifi connection just to open the browser bookmark menu...
You could put in a text file, but it would be a bit more elegant to just click Yes on a "Connection unavailable, save link" dialogue box.

I was initially thinking that you wouldn’t want to clog up your bookmarks with all the temporary links, but I suppose could keep them all separate in a folder. It is fairly easy to add a new bookmark, but I think a "Connection unavailable, save temporary bookmark" option would be more slightly elegant, and something I’m more likely to do, as long as it doesn’t get in the way of just closing the browser.

To take things further, you could have a little application that could add temporary bookmarks to your list without having to load the browser, for when someone tells you about a website you want to look at later.

I realise you wouldn’t be saving a huge about of time each time you use it, but losing connection is something that will happen quite often if you’re out and about, so over time you could save literally minutes, and I think it would make the user experience a little bit nicer, and I wouldn’t have thought it would take someone who knows what they’re doing very long to create (although I may be wrong).

Here is what I would like to see:

APPLICATIONS:
Pidgin w/ OTR ( I live in the US and our right to privacy was revoked so OTR is necessary)
FireFox or MiMo
A PIM that I can sync with thunderbird, sunbird, outlook, evolution, and my windows mobile phone!
A Don't Panic Button would be nice.
kismet of course
A DX logger for logging my ham contacts
OpenOffice
MPlayer
OpenSSH

EMULATORS:
NeoGeo
Saturn
Genesis
PCE/TG16
C64
Amiga <-FULL UAE would kick freaking butt!!!

Lots more but that is the stuff I would use regularly.

fusion_power said:
Morten said:
I would really like a WiFi Sniffer like program!
Me to. :D
Even, if the most People use WPA2 today. AFAIK, these Sniffers are only useful for the old WEP Standard and only, if the Network isn't set to hidden/invisible.

I actually see very very little WPA2. WPA but that is actually easier to crack than WEP as it's easier to force it to send out 'interesting' packets.

As I stated in my list I would love to see kismet so I can do GPS logging. I don't really go cracking other people's wifi, I just log the open ones in case I need to hop on quick I can pull up my custom made maps and find the closest spot.

As far as invisible goes, kismet left running long enough can discover the SSID name of a hidden network. It has to see a hidden packet first to know it's there then it will start looking to see what it can find out. A hidden and encrypted network is much much harder. But getting hidden networks to work with windows is not something the average user can do so just skip those.

I guess it's mostly for fun so I'll list just everything I'm hoping for, not just what I expect from the pandora-centered community :)
> DOS-box with fully fluent and working SB16 sound for trackers such as IT and FT2
> Amiga emulation making sure apps like hively tracker and ahx trackers work :)
(the already emu projects declared for arcade holy grails (on handheld) such as ddp, esprade, progear... (rsg?) etc..)
> PC-9801 and X68000
> Emulation of simple win9x apps such as not likely ported module formats players (such as hoot, kbm.p., sidplay2)
> port of xmplay (or another player using the bass library for amiga/pc mod formats)
> better yet. a pandora multiformat player utilising as many module format drivers as possible for great crossformat playlist justice :3 (sasq? :))
> port of the mentioned pda blender version.
> IRC, ssh, sftp (surely already available though?)
EDIT: oh yeah:
> english-japanese e-dictionary utilising the kb and stylus
> gps client lib/api
> ogre3d pocket-pc (exists and uses ogl es) working on pandora

wishlist of new stuff:
> a bare (like savihost) vst-host (for effects) and 2D-touchpad-utilising audio effects. :3

Back