What Software Do People Want?

IceBerg303 said:
Here is what I would like to see:

APPLICATIONS:
Pidgin w/ OTR ( I live in the US and our right to privacy was revoked so OTR is necessary)
FireFox or MiMo
A PIM that I can sync with thunderbird, sunbird, outlook, evolution, and my windows mobile phone!
A Don't Panic Button would be nice.
kismet of course
A DX logger for logging my ham contacts
OpenOffice
MPlayer
OpenSSH
EMULATORS:
NeoGeo
Saturn
Genesis
PCE/TG16
C64
Amiga <-FULL UAE would kick freaking butt!!!

Lots more but that is the stuff I would use regularly.

Firefox 3.x is a given. I'd agree with the Pidgin IM since I use it on my Linux-based laptop already.

I'm pretty sure UAE/EUAE is on the list. It might even be able to run AGA chipset games at the native speed of a 68ec020.

OpenOffice.org is too memory consuming for a Pandora but you could run Abiword as a word-processor and Gnumeric as a spreadsheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gnumeric and AbiWord would make me happy. That and an SSH client and I'd be interested. Some PDA type stuff would be great, along with an mp3/ogg player.

I'd imagine the DSP could be used for MAX/Msp type audio synthesis programs like pure data. I'd love to be able to plug in my USB to midi adapter and use a Pandora as a synth, assuming the audio output is decent, which I hear it should be.

I would love OpenOffice, Pidgin, Firefox, some music player (banshee, amarok, rhythmbox), mplayer, and every emulator up to PSX (excluding Saturn of course...that's next to impossible).

I would like there to be an OS with a fluxbox gui or something else minimalistic.

As someone who plays chess regularly at tournaments, I would love to have chess applications ported to pandora.
I mean a chess engine like crafty, a database/interface like Scid and an interface for playing on an internet server like Jin (Java) or XBoard .

I think that on Pandora's processor, the best modern chess engines would play at a very high level, possibly as strong as a grandmaster. They can serve as a tool for analysing games played by chess players, as well as someone to play a game against.
The large capacity of SDHC cards makes them suitable for storing even the largest chess databases. Chess players use these databases in order to prepare before a tournament game (looking up games played by their next opponent).

Nowadays many chess players are equipped with laptops that can do all the above things, but my four year-old laptop is slowly dying and I don't think I will be getting a new one if Pandora will be able to run these key applications!

I would like to add that chess players can spend a lot of money on their hobby. This PDA style chess computer which costs 50GBP has only a tiny fraction of the capabilities Pandora could have, and the rating of BCF 125, which is mentioned in the web page, is like the strength of an average club player whereas Pandora would play at master level.

I would like this excellent Latin to English dictionary ported to the Pandora. It's open source and written in Ada. I'm assuming there's a way to compile Ada programs for the Pandora, right?

Would be awesome to have drawing/sketching related software. Something simple a la OpenCanvas 1.0 *without the whole pressure stuff I suppose:(* would be amazing.

Lou said:
Would be awesome to have drawing/sketching related software. Something simple a la OpenCanvas 1.0 *without the whole pressure stuff I suppose:(* would be amazing.
That would be awesome, I'm wondering about possibilities of Pandora about making sketches or even small full drawings using it as a small pen tablet.

If it is non gaming then:

Office suite (e.g. Open office)
Media Player able to apcept codes (e.g. VLC with FFDshow)
Firefox 2 or 3.

That is the most important to me.

Firefox, HTop, but more importantly all the tools need to compile source code on the Pandora. As long as I can do ./configure and make without problems,I can install anything. After that, maybe a suite of text editors (joe , vim, emacs, nano, etc)

jakshep2 said:
I'd like a noob warning system so I know which of my posts moderately suck and which ones just fail.
You mean like Karma?

...-1

BigTruck: I would totally love that dictionary too. I started using William Whittaker dictionary at the end of 2nd semester. Having that in class would make latin so much easier. I think my teacher would actually even let me use my pandora in class as a dictionary...or at least it'd be a nice excuse to have it with me :lol:

I`m happy with Firefox and a E-Mail Client (Thunderbird,Sylpheed) and a Media Player.

The noob warning system sounds nice, maybe someone makes a flow chart for this :lol: (like the software port flow chart)

BigTruck said:
I would like this excellent Latin to English dictionary ported to the Pandora. It's open source and written in Ada. I'm assuming there's a way to compile Ada programs for the Pandora, right?

If I remember back to uni. Ada (which was the popular academic language before java) is considered portable. (Hard in comparison to java)

The parts that need to be rewritten are easy to find for someone who knows the language.

icurafu said:
BigTruck said:

If I remember back to uni. Ada (which was the popular academic language before java) is considered portable. (Hard in comparison to java)

The parts that need to be rewritten are easy to find for someone who knows the language.

Does anyone know Ada...hmmmmm? PLEASE!!!

How similar is it to Java? I took AP Computer Science in my school...

quadomatic said:
Does anyone know Ada...hmmmmm? PLEASE!!!

How similar is it to Java? I took AP Computer Science in my school...
If you want a dictionary/translation program, there are other options available that are probably better (and certainly easier to port).

Lou said:
I'll make a sketchbook app for sure, since I want to use my Pandora as a graphics tablet too :) It'll be simple and fast to use, tailored for the handheld.

PlopperZ said:
Crasherball said:
ya its old, it might work over 386emulation

its diablo 2 by the way
needs like 250mhz and bout idk 32ram lol
nope 386 is only 16-40 mHz
go with the PSX version

Aww, then where's the secret cow level?

icurafu said:
was there as PSX version of D2?
Not as far as I remember. The system requirements for Diablo 2 on computer are quite above the PSX's specifications so that makes me further doubt it.

Back