Will A Comprehensive Manual Be Included?

Should a manual come with the Pandora?

• Yes, it should cover Configuration and Firmware, including utilities and command line options.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it should be a Quick Start Guide.

• No, too expensive, no manual at all should be developed (online or hard copy)

• No, just point them to the Forums.

• Quick start guide that points them to an online manual

• Quick start guide and complete Man pages onboard

• Total voters

I'm for a good Quickstart guide included with the Pandora package. Some kind of big folded glare Paper with graphics etc. on it. Not to much text just a easy to understand guide.

I'm not a fan of putting every documentation ONLY online. Some people like me don't have Internet access all the time. A huge manual would be to expencive I think but a Quick start Guide shouldn't be a problem.

ashdjones said:
What does that mean?

Okay, quick Google search tellsm me that a MAN page is an overview for a linux terminal command.

Still, that doesn't exactly teach people how to use the linux terminal.
Ok, here are a few links that might help you: MAN PAGES and Debian policy about man pages and an example of what will happen if you type "man cp" in your terminal on a Linux box (on most but not all distributions)
<additional info> If you want to learn something more complex like bash programming you'd better google some material to study, though man pages can also help you in this case. </additional info>

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe the package server could parse the wiki in to man pages. The package server could parse the wiki every week and we would have an up to date manual.

greendots said:
maybe the package server could parse the wiki in to man pages. The package server could parse the wiki every week and we would have an up to date manual.
I think it'll be much better to make a "Manual".deb package which can be autoupdated. Incorporating a version of week-to-week changing manual into man pages will take a lot of effort, wouldn't it?

_VWV_ said:
greendots said:
I think it'll be much better to make a "Manual".deb package which can be autoupdated. Incorporating a version of week-to-week changing manual into man pages will take a lot of effort, wouldn't it?

No, some one would have to write a program that would take all the data from wiki and parse it. After the program is made it could be automatically run from then on.

Also it could just be converted to html and then we open in any browser.

Both shouldnt be any problem.

nubie said:
I know Craig is going to point people to the Forum (and the Wiki?), unlike GPH who just dropped it in your lap with an Engrish manual.
LOL! :lol:

i agree with the online manual. i have a game manual here on my desk that barely resembles the game it represents, having gone through so many updates and revisions over the past 3 years. even after a few months a certain sections were outdated or irrelevant, and i remember new players being confused about things, having dutifully studied the manual before playing. :unsure:

honestly, I think if someone needs a full blown manual to be included, the Pandora is not the correct purchase for them.

I think that there should be a quick start guide (including simple information such as how to charge it, the location of the power button, and a basic run through the default UI) included, with a link to a online database/complete manual included. That would probably be a good way to go about it. The manual could be downloadable, so you could copy it over to a SD card and print it at your own leisure, which would be a way to get the best of both worlds. As the manual would be online, it would be easy to update (PDF, HTML, text, Wiki. It doesn't really matter to me, but I would prefer PDF, HTML, or text.) Anything else would just be icing on the cake.

Depending on if I have the time and if its needed I might write a user guide for the Pandora which would be similar to my GP2X user guide. The GP2X guide seems to be popular with over 40,000 downloads on the archive (2nd highest only to MAME) and I think its distributed from some stores so there is demand for a guide in one form or another.

Time for me is the major problem, at the moment I am learning C# and XNA for coding on the Xbox 360 and it is taking up nearly all of it. If there is enough demand I may prioritise the user guide for a while.

Back