Your Number In Line?

TaG said:
Out of curiosity, I checked yours and got this:QUOTE
15:23:00 Tuesday September 30, 2008 in CET converts to
13:23:00 Tuesday September 30, 2008 in GMT
Daylight Saving Time is in effect on this date/time in CET
Daylight Saving Time is not in effect on this date/time in GMT
The last bit is wrong, we were in BST at the time. Whether that makes your 13:23 wrong or not I haven't figured out yet...

That just means UTC/GMT does not have DST, or they'd always be the same as BST. During DST BST is GMT+1, but without DST BST is equal to GMT, which might be where the confusion is coming in that the shop didn't open until 14:00. It may not have opened until 14:00 BST, but due to the DST that would mean it opened 13:00 GMT.

God, too many acronyms. My head hurts. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
aliking said:
It's a while ago now, but IIRC the GBAX shop was not open before 14:00 UTC, no? Possibly the German store may have been open before that, but I think some of the first rows can't be right.

I just mention because I assume this is most interesting to those who:

A) think they were very early
B) think they were very late
C) think they were about #639...

This might totally change the game at the top of the board.
edit - middle list item got interpreted as a smiley, I think I'll leave it that way...

First off, I would place no faith in these numbers at all. They're a rough, rough estimate at best. Especially given the questionable "preorder start time". Everything was so crazy that morning, it's hard to say when the store actually opened. Craig managed a post on the boards with the order info at 14:12 GMT. But the newsletter blast probably started earlier than that and the stores were also probably already "open" also for those that just "happened upon them".

So these times before 14:00 are probably correct. I'm not sure how to incorporate them into the estimate though, because I was still thinking 14:00 was a more accurate "public knowledge" time. Right now I only have 25 slots allocated to orders before 14:00 since I didn't think the order sites were public knowledge. However given we have 8/144 entries in the list before 14:00, it would seem there might be many more than 25 overall that ordered before 14:00. Then you also have to figure, the really early folks are probably active in the community and thus would have entered their time into the list...so there might not be that many more "really early folks". So again...the estimate is a very rough guess. Probably a guess to the low side, possibly 200 or more off...

Still something to keep the mind occupied for a while longer...

Eniko said:
Agreed. I have had to read your reply a couple of times in order to understand.. nothing, except it's Friday night and I think it is time for a cold one. :D

TaG said:
Eniko said:
Agreed. I have had to read your reply a couple of times in order to understand.. nothing, except it's Friday night and I think it is time for a cold one. :D

Damnit, you're making me jealous... only 3:06 here... 2:24 left to go.... So thirsty...........

Coder_TimT said:
While we're on the subject of accuracy there's an order at "14:33:00" that specifies 10 units, which isn't possible. Probably best to modify that one back to 1 unit, huh?

Eniko said:
Coder_TimT said:
While we're on the subject of accuracy there's an order at "14:33:00" that specifies 10 units, which isn't possible. Probably best to modify that one back to 1 unit, huh?

I thought Craig had stated there was not a limit per person on the preorders? I'll leave it alone for right now unless I get confirmation it's bogus...

On another note, I added two more "estimates" to the list. One is a ratio based on number of orders per hour of our sample set. And the other is a worked over version of that ratio that takes some of the know sales milestones(~2000 at 6 hours, ~3000 end of 10/1) into consideration along with assuming our data skews towards us freaks who would have been the first to get their orders in, thus our sample set is extra heavy towards early 9/30...

If I had to guess, I would think this 3rd estimate I call "Loose Ratio", is probably closest...

Well I recall there being a limit of two units per person. It's possible that when they extended the preorders they lifted this limit and I just missed it, it's not like I was particularly interested in preordering several all at once.

There was no limit. They said they would add one if people were buying them in bulk.

Back