2 New Blog Posts: 98% Success Rate! + Lightpipes

grosbill said:
First thing hello all, I've been reading around here for quite a time but never feel like posting...

craigix said:
Black. Just black. Totally black. No text, no icons, nothing.

That's your special edition right there. What do you think?

That's a great idea (to my opinion at least ^^) all clean classy and simple.
And anyway the pandora logo is directly molded. I guess all "first batchers" if not all pandora owners ever can recognize an usb port when they see one.

Sure. I know what a USB port, SD slot, and light pipe looks like. But there's more than one of each of those. I plan on running my Pandora with 2 SD cards most of the time. I want to remove one of them to put more stuff on. Which one's #1 and #2, again? Say I have a USB 1.1 device (so it's not compatible with the HS 2.0 port). Which port do I plug it in? Sure, I can try both, and if I do it enough, I'll eventually remember. But if I only plug in a gamepad once a month, I don't want to have to look that up in a manual each time I do it. It's easy to distinguish things that are different, but if you have two of the same thing, it's nice to have a label. I second Kagato's layout, in general (fonts, icons, etc) - holding off on the "First Batch" argument for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
benji_stein said:
Sure. I know what a USB port, SD slot, and light pipe looks like. But there's more than one of each of those. I plan on running my Pandora with 2 SD cards most of the time. I want to remove one of them to put more stuff on. Which one's #1 and #2, again? Say I have a USB 1.1 device (so it's not compatible with the HS 2.0 port). Which port do I plug it in? Sure, I can try both, and if I do it enough, I'll eventually remember. But if I only plug in a gamepad once a month, I don't want to have to look that up in a manual each time I do it. It's easy to distinguish things that are different, but if you have two of the same thing, it's nice to have a label. I second Kagato's layout, in general (fonts, icons, etc) - holding off on the "First Batch" argument for now.
Actually, the USB 1.1 / OTG port is a Mini-USB, so it's quite easy to remember:
The USB-looking port is USB 2 only,
the Mini-USB port is USB 1 and for connecting to a PC.

Although based on your SD 1 and 2 comment, I feel like you could be joking.
Lucky the L and R shoulder buttons are labelled, some people cannot even remember left and right.

WizardStan said:
Sitwon said:
craigix said:
Black. Just black. Totally black. No text, no icons, nothing.

That's your special edition right there. What do you think?
That actually sounds great to me. I'm behind this 100%.
All of you "I see a red door and I want it painted black" people are starting to scare me.
I don't think I understand your idiom.

Sitwon said:
WizardStan said:
All of you "I see a red door and I want it painted black" people are starting to scare me.

Oh dear. When did I get old? :(

No colours any more I want them to turn black :(

lulzfish said:
Lucky the L and R shoulder buttons are labelled, some people cannot even remember left and right.
Yea, hard to tell when people are joking sometimes, haha
Especially about forgetting which SD slot would be 1 and which 2. :lol:
Still think he may be serous though, although it'll make me look really gullible:D

Sitwon said:
It's the first line of the song Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones (and covered by many others). The song is basically about wanting everything to be black like your soul kinda thing, but that doesn't matter. The important part is the context I used it in: we have these silk screenings that (in my opinion) look good and not unprofessional, and so many people believe it would be better as pure black without any kind of markings, being very vocal about this opinion.
If there is no silk screening because Craig and company genuinely believe that it would be a good idea, I am all for this (it's their project, no matter how much input they took from the community), but following the will of a vocal minority is a scary thing. It's been my experience that the vocal minority rarely considers anyone but themselves. Consider the existing arguments: "we don't need the silk screening because we can all figure out what everything means." But we are not the complete audience. What about the other 3800 or so that preordered that aren't in any way active on the forum? Are we sure they can figure it out? What about the occasions when I might pass around my new toy for others to have a play with while I brag? Are they going to figure out which LEDs do what in the 60 seconds (max) that I will allow someone else to touch the precious? Not to mention that I (for one) disagree that all black is necessarily more professional than the presented silk screening.
That's not to say that the majority votes are looking out for others though. A lot of them are only voting for the thing which is best for them, not for everybody. It's just convenience that the thing that is good for them is good for everybody as well.
Personally I try to vote for the thing which I think is best, not the thing that is best for me. In the keyboard poll, there was one that I really really liked, but I knew that it would cause problems for people who weren't me, so I voted for the one that looked well suited for everyone that didn't compromise myself too much.
In this case, I would say that putting the silk screen on is the right choice for everybody: it's easier to take it off if you think it is bad than to stick stuff on after the fact if you wanted it.

edit: oh, it was also a thinly veiled reference to all the "paint the bike shed" comments.

I always thought the Pandora would be all black and was happy with it, but once I saw the silk screen design I fell in love with it. Especially with the controversial "First Batch"-text ;) I want my Pandora as soon as possible, but hey, a few days more doesn't really matter to me now. Waiting did become a well known part of the Pandora ;)

Monk said:
Oh dear. When did I get old? :(

No colours any more I want them to turn black :(

Haha it happened to a lot of us when we were too busy to notice! I'm just worried I'll be watching the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes before I even see my Pandora!

Na-Noo said:
lulzfish said:
Still think he may be serous though, although it'll make me look really gullible:D

Actually, with the labels as they are, it would be more confusing because the card in slot 2 will be on /dev/mmcblk1p1. Having no labels removes this ambiguity :p

ricki said:
I always thought the Pandora would be all black and was happy with it, but once I saw the silk screen design I fell in love with it. Especially with the controversial "First Batch"-text ;) I want my Pandora as soon as possible, but hey, a few days more doesn't really matter to me now. Waiting did become a well known part of the Pandora ;)

Silk screening does not add to the delivery time. It was always part of the schedule.

Alec  said:
Na-Noo said:
lulzfish said:

Actually, with the labels as they are, it would be more confusing because the card in slot 2 will be on /dev/mmcblk1p1. Having no labels removes this ambiguity :p

Trouble is that may be true, but the problem is he would forgot from one time he uses it to another :lol:

In case someone somewhere is keeping some sort of track of this thread, and thinking "Well, very few people seem to be interested in the silkscreening and would prefer it black", I hereby post to register my love of the silkscreening.

This is a consumer device, regardless of the diehard hardcore origins. Consumer devices are labelled. Make those labels vaguely sensible and bam, job's done.

People are getting worked up into fanboi-esque vitriole because the Bluetooth LED is labelled with "BT"? Because the USB port is labelled with the term "USB"? Seriously? No, really: SERIOUSLY? Dayum.

This just made me think, the first 4000 is almost a big beta test of software minor system bugs etc.
It was always seen as for people who doesn't mind a product not being perfect when they receive it. Second batch being the fully commercial everything working from the start model.
Has that changed, as we don't really point that out any more when someone asks if they should try to get one from the first batch!

Line O said:
In case someone somewhere is keeping some sort of track of this thread, and thinking "Well, very few people seem to be interested in the silkscreening and would prefer it black", I hereby post to register my love of the silkscreening.

This is a consumer device, regardless of the diehard hardcore origins. Consumer devices are labelled. Make those labels vaguely sensible and bam, job's done.

People are getting worked up into fanboi-esque vitriole because the Bluetooth LED is labelled with "BT"? Because the USB port is labelled with the term "USB"? Seriously? No, really: SERIOUSLY? Dayum.
I think it's a little bit more than you're letting on. Right now it's a jumbled mess of graphics, text, and graphics and text. While there are some who just like to argue about stuff for the sake of arguing, I feel it is beneficial that we discuss what we like and/or don't like about the silkscreen. It doesn't hurt anyone to discuss it and something good may come out of it, or perhaps nothing at all. That's all up to OP. It's their call and their product, but we have been a community family for a long while now and we've voiced our thoughts up to this point, so why stop now. In the end, it's going to be them that decide what they want to do. I just want it to look professional when others see it so it will help to promote future sales.

WizardStan said:
What about the occasions when I might pass around my new toy for others to have a play with while I brag? Are they going to figure out which LEDs do what in the 60 seconds (max) that I will allow someone else to touch the precious?

Are you really saying that the few people you hand your Pandora to won't be able to figure out the volume dial, SD slots, USB ports, and such on their own?

WizardStan said:
Personally I try to vote for the thing which I think is best, not the thing that is best for me.

There is a whole lot of scary in that comment. You should always vote for what is best for you.

WizardStan said:
In this case, I would say that putting the silk screen on is the right choice for everybody: it's easier to take it off if you think it is bad than to stick stuff on after the fact if you wanted it.

What should everyone use to remove the silkscreen smatters, CLR? The first batch could be silkscreenless and look great making it more like a box of wonders than another DS or XXL DSi.

Line O said:
In case someone somewhere is keeping some sort of track of this thread, and thinking "Well, very few people seem to be interested in the silkscreening and would prefer it black", I hereby post to register my love of the silkscreening. This is a consumer device, regardless of the diehard hardcore origins. Consumer devices are labelled. Make those labels vaguely sensible and bam, job's done. People are getting worked up into fanboi-esque vitriole because the Bluetooth LED is labelled with "BT"? Because the USB port is labelled with the term "USB"? Seriously? No, really: SERIOUSLY? Dayum.

You're right that most of us are worked up over nothing substantially important but labeling everything obvious on a niche device can be overdoing it too. These won't be stocked at Walmart for Jethro and Cletus to mosey on toward.

craigix said:
This is bikeshedding at its absolute worst. I don't even want anything written on them. Christ, you all know what those ports are.

Would anyone object to there just being NOTHING on it?

At first glance this was an exciting idea. It seems to imply that we would get our units quicker, plus with the added benefit of having a sleeker kit. Or is it tempting to do this just because everyone is so exhausted by this point that it's easier to strike one thing off the list, and be done with it?

All-black was a clever suggestion. However, Kagato's design is almost universally supported. Let's keep the discussion going, but don't stop now that we can finally see the finish line. One more push, and we're there.

Mac

rmm21 said:
WizardStan said:
Personally I try to vote for the thing which I think is best, not the thing that is best for me.

There is a whole lot of scary in that comment. You should always vote for what is best for you.
Sure, because heaven forbid anyone should think of how their decisions impact others.

WizardStan said:
rmm21 said:
WizardStan said:

Sure, because heaven forbid anyone should think of how their decisions impact others.
Congratulations rmm21, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heared on this forum.
You obviously don't get the whole community concept <_<

@WizardStan Thanks for explaining that to me. I believe I understand your concern now.

With the exception of the LEDs, I would think everything is pretty self explanatory. The volume knob looks like a volume knob. An SD card won't fit anywhere except those conveniently SD-shaped slots on the front. The USB ports look suspiciously similar to standard USB ports...

Obviously every Pandora orders has some level of technical knowledge in order to A) know about OP, B) know what it's for, and C) Want one bad a enough to spend $300 on something that doesn't even fully exist yet. I'd say that anyone who ordered a Pandora is capable of figuring out everything without any labels (except, maybe, the LEDs).

In my opinion, it would be nice to have a completely black Pandora, but if it has the silkscreen that is currently up on the Blog I'd be fine with that too.

Kagato's designs certainly looked nice, but I understand correctly there ere concerns about copyright/trademark issues...

Back