2 New Blog Posts: 98% Success Rate! + Lightpipes

Nothing says "elite" (or just l337) like a device without labels. ;) Might be nice to have at least the Pandora logo printed inside somewhere. But please, let's not make another poll out of this... the "first batch" one just proved that some people with too much time on their hands can unfairly skew the results far too easily.

Thanks, whoever did that, btw. Way to embrace the community spirit by trying to cheat a poll.

I'm sure more than a few people would be unhappy if they received their pandoras without any sort of marking whatsoever, ESPECIALLY those who don't attend the forums. I really don't see an unmarked device as a viable option. Sure you can't please everyone with the silkscreen, but as a matter of function over form it really does need to be there. I'm hoping craig's suggestion was meant to be sardonic due to everyone's whining.

Consequence9 said:
I'm sure more than a few people would be unhappy if they received their pandoras without any sort of marking whatsoever, ESPECIALLY those who don't attend the forums. I really don't see an unmarked device as a viable option. Sure you can't please everyone with the silkscreen, but as a matter of function over form it really does need to be there. I'm hoping craig's suggestion was meant to be sardonic due to everyone's whining.

You could be right all the people whining implying it could cause a delay and they want it now.
Unmarked would mean every one gets it sooner whooo hooo :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Na-Noo said:
fiori_musicali said:
Invisiblemoose said:
fiori_musicali said:
Look at the Pandora logo. What does it say? It says: Pandora. Because it's the Pandora logo. Now look at the Pandora logo with the number "1" in it. What does it say? It says "Pandora 1". It's ambiguous and unaesthetic (the number breaks the structure of the logo, including symmetry). In my opinion it's not more polished, not more professional, nor "nicer".
That was the only aspect of the design I said was debatable. The rest of the design I feel is much cleaner and more standardized -- better thought out and implemented. You disagree with that?
I disagree, it didn't look clean. What looks clean is "First Batch" in a clean font, or...

He said many times and made it clear many times that he wasn't talking about the first batch/symbol whatever. Yet that's the bit you keep continually talking about and quoting and ignoring.
Ugh, OK. He did also make it very clear that "First Batch" is lame (paraphrase), so I got stuck on that. My bad, really.

Na-Noo said:
It may not be indicative of every would be Pandora owner, but as a project that is supposed to have a lot of community input, then the people who take an active part in the project has a chance to say. That's part of the reason we all feel part of the project, watching it from start to finish and having input even minor, is nice.
That does not mean that the OP team does not have the final word on the matter though does it.
I already know all that and agree to an extent, but a few people were bitching that the results of the poll didn't dictate the result, and I'm saying giving so much decision power to the community wouldn't make a good cake. Taking input and incrementing the mass of ideas for implementation with that is one thing, letting the community decide for you is another.

Na-Noo said:
I'm struggling to work out if your trolling joking or what to be honest.
No troll, just stupid.

craigix said:
Black. Just black. Totally black. No text, no icons, nothing.

That's your special edition right there. What do you think?

Sounds great to me. I think it looks good as it stands, either way works for me.

I don't care what text or symbols you put on the thing.

Ship it. ;)

fiori_musicali said:
Na-Noo said:
He said many times and made it clear many times that he wasn't talking about the first batch/symbol whatever. Yet that's the bit you keep continually talking about and quoting and ignoring.
Ugh, OK. He did also make it very clear that "First Batch" is lame (paraphrase), so I got stuck on that. My bad, really.

Na-Noo said:
It may not be indicative of every would be Pandora owner, but as a project that is supposed to have a lot of community input, then the people who take an active part in the project has a chance to say. That's part of the reason we all feel part of the project, watching it from start to finish and having input even minor, is nice.
That does not mean that the OP team does not have the final word on the matter though does it.
I already know all that and agree to an extent, but a few people were bitching that the results of the poll didn't dictate the result, and I'm saying giving so much decision power to the community wouldn't make a good cake. Taking input and incrementing the mass of ideas for implementation with that is one thing, letting the community decide for you is another.

Na-Noo said:
I'm struggling to work out if your trolling joking or what to be honest.
No troll, just stupid.

Thanks for not taking it as an attack on you, I did mean to edit it and remove the troll part.

this has gone insane, you dont like the
"fist batch"? wipe it off

want to feel 1337 and want a
black and no silkscreen model? wipe it off

want a BT logo on it? stick it up!

things are simple, but please,
RELEASE IT NOW!

I WANT IT NOW(8)!!!

craigix said:

That actually sounds great to me. I'm behind this 100%.

Past caring what's written on it to be honest, this is like the keyboard thread all over again.
The devs are never going to find one design that satisfies everybody anyway so what's with all the arguing?

Add your ideas to the thread and move on people.

p.s I'd like just the first batch and Pandora logo on mine, but all the rest of it plain thanks. Don't forget the fries either ;)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Past caring what's written on it to be honest, this is like the keyboard thread all over again.
The devs are never going to find one design that satisfies everybody anyway so what's with all the arguing?

^This.

Other than that, I want one with an FDM case, because it's cool with that texture on it and the force feedback screen and all.

Sitwon said:
craigix said:

That actually sounds great to me. I'm behind this 100%.
All of you "I see a red door and I want it painted black" people are starting to scare me.

Wow, I've been asleep for a 8 hours and I awake to battles over silk screening. Well I hardly ever post on these forums, but I read them several times a day, and I must say that I think the silk screen IS A MUST! I have posted several times over the last few days, as it seems like this project is finally coming to a close, and I feel comments that aren't based purely on someone wanting there Pandora yesterday might give the team some true perspective(P.S. I want my pandora yesterday as well). Craig, please don't lower the quality now, just to save a few days or weeks off the final product, that is just silly. If some customers don't want it that is fine. But the plan from day one was to have it. I'm sorry that everyone can't agree on a final design, but come on, did you expect any less from these forums.

I ordered 5 units over a year ago because I believed very much in this project, and I wanted to see it threw till the end. Also, after the banking fiasco, allot of customers backed out, and I wanted to help any way I could. I have since ordered several more, and I'm going to get a money order today, as I just got an email this morning saying I could order a few more. So as someone who has a little more than a single unit at stake, I don't think leaving this unit blank is the best choice. The final design that was shown looks fine to me. Very simple and to the point. It is just there for ID purposes and nothing more. Every electronic device I have in front of me has silk screen, laser etching or a combination of both. My cell phone, digital camera, psp, ds, even the wiz has nice and simple silk screen design. Could I use any of these items without the labels, sure I could. Some would be easier than others, but it could be done. Now imagine how much each of these devices cost brand new from the store, and if you got home and nothing was labeled, you would be like WTF!!! Now if everyone here agrees that the system would be better without them, from a design standpoint that is fine. But don't not include it to save on time or effort, if that's the case Openpandora should have shipped this unit 6 months ago with a crap d-pad, buggy firmware, a hinge that only works on half the units, ect.!

There have been many reasons why this project has been delayed over a year, some forseable and some not! This project ran along side the the wiz for several months, and the wiz saw it's fair share of delays and problems, and guess what, it was released first, and it still has a laundry list of problems. Many of which have been addressed by these forums time and again, before the wiz was released and after. The Pandora cost twice as much as the WIZ, and I feel it is a 10 times better handheld. So my vote is for the silk screen that was was shown a few weeks back, and was picked as the final design. Now if you guys want to ship out some quickly to those that don't want it, that is fine. I would gladly give up my low spot(of my first 5), and wait until my units reach the level of quality I have been waiting over a year for already!

P.S. Why don't leave the tv out cables blank to, we really don't need to know which cables are in and out do we?

Jumpman

craigix said:

Lets call it ultra black, and then throw it into the sun! ;)

@jumpman
Once you start posting it's hard to stop :lol:
I still like the idea of a transfer sheet including shooting stars, random shapes that people can put on themselves, who said you can't please everyone :p
(Oh and yes I am joking)

PS: You selling them or what?

Na-Noo said:
@jumpman
Once you start posting it's hard to stop :lol:
I still like the idea of a transfer sheet including shooting stars, random shapes that people can put on themselves, who said you can't please everyone :p
(Oh and yes I am joking)

PS: You selling them or what?

Yeah Na-Noo, that's my plan! There where so many people who couldn't order once the credit card fiasco happened, I figured I had the cash handy, and I trusted the team(they all have a long track record), so I figured what the hell. The worst case is I sell them at cost, and I'm still helping the project get off the ground. The first batch of Wiz sold out in a few days, and that unit is crap compared to the Pandora(I own a wiz, so don't flame me)! Once this arrives, and the media can actually get there hands on it, and post some reviews, I think this unit will do very well in the long run. It is very unique, and very well thought out, and I think emulation will be awesome at launch, so if I make a few extra bucks on ebay, that won't be so bad.

Jumpman

Monk said:
Na-Noo said:
(Oh and yes I am joking)

I think a lot of us are. It's more fun than bickering, anyway :)

Just seems that, some people seem to not get the joke all the time haha

@jumpman
Not a bad plan, my problem would be actually getting around to putting them on ebay, got a bad habit of not getting around to it lol

craigix said:
I don't even want anything written on them. Christ, you all know what those ports are.

Would anyone object to there just being NOTHING on it?

craigix said:

I would love to have a Pandora without silkscreening. There isn't that many ports to have to remember so that's fine by me and it will be a unique feature of the "First Batch". Plenty of writing on the keyboard and game controls inside the box to sate.

All black on the outside would be perfect and stylish.

rmm21 said:
craigix said:
I don't even want anything written on them. Christ, you all know what those ports are.

Would anyone object to there just being NOTHING on it?

craigix said:

I would love to have a Pandora without silkscreening. There isn't that many ports to have to remember so that's fine by me and it will be a unique feature of the "First Batch". Plenty of writing on the keyboard and game controls inside the box to sate.

All black on the outside would be perfect and stylish.

+1

I think all black would be just perfect, just a pandora logo or a first batch icon would be nice.

Back