2 New Blog Posts: 98% Success Rate! + Lightpipes

Invisiblemoose said:
Why settle for "fine enough" when Kagato's design is so much nicer?
Invisiblemoose said:
I don't understand the total disregard for the silkscreen design. I realize it isn't ultimately an important detail, but it is such a simple thing to do well, that why choose to do it poorly? Really, the only thing I feel is debatable is the "First Batch" logo -- the rest of Kagato's is simply much more polished and professional... So why shrug it aside and go with a poorer design
Invisiblemoose said:
Besides, what's there to argue about? Kagato's design is much cleaner, so why not use it? What's the incentive to NOT use it?
You state your subjective opinions as if they were facts.

Look at the Pandora logo. What does it say? It says: Pandora. Because it's the Pandora logo. Now look at the Pandora logo with the number "1" in it. What does it say? It says "Pandora 1". It's ambiguous and unaesthetic (the number breaks the structure of the logo, including symmetry). In my opinion it's not more polished, not more professional, nor "nicer".

Last edited by a moderator:
Tensuke said:
I don't care if my Pandora says "I'M A SERIAL RAPIST," I just want it soon. :(
This. This is the attitude I don't understand.

Choosing a better silkscreen design will have NO IMPACT on the delivery date of the Pandora, so what's the big deal? Why not change it? What am I missing?

fiori_musicali said:
Look at the Pandora logo. What does it say? It says: Pandora. Because it's the Pandora logo. Now look at the Pandora logo with the number "1" in it. What does it say? It says "Pandora 1". It's ambiguous and unaesthetic (the number breaks the structure of the logo, including symmetry). In my opinion it's not more polished, not more professional, nor "nicer".
That was the only aspect of the design I said was debatable. The rest of the design I feel is much cleaner and more standardized -- better thought out and implemented. You disagree with that?

Black. Just black. Totally black. No text, no icons, nothing.

That's your special edition right there. What do you think?

craigix said:

I say at least Pandora or a Pandora logo.

craigix said:
This is bikeshedding at its absolute worst. I don't even want anything written on them. Christ, you all know what those ports are.

Would anyone object to there just being NOTHING on it?
Actually, I do think that's the absolutely best choice. Hell, it'll even speed things up! That's the best suggestion so far.

@craig

If it meant getting it sooner. I am fine with it being black.

Invisiblemoose said:
fiori_musicali said:
That was the only aspect of the design I said was debatable. The rest of the design I feel is much cleaner and more standardized -- better thought out and implemented. You disagree with that?
I disagree, it didn't look clean. What looks clean is "First Batch" in a clean font, or...

craigix said:

I also thought of that, and I would love it.

fiori_musicali said:
craigix said:

I don't see it as an issue. I think you'd quickly get used to the placement of the LEDs, which is the only thing that's not immediately obvious, and you could just have that in the manual.

No matter what you do, though, some people are going to complain. At this point, it's probably best just to decide on something and ship it, and if someone is really that concerned about it, they could swap it with a second-batch unit or something.

craigix said:

I would agree, except I think it might be confusing figuring out what each flashing LED means. DS Lite could get away with no labels for the LEDS cause there was only 2 but now they have 3 on the DSi, and they label them this time.

Having the Pandora text and logo under the screen would of been nice :p

craigix said:

SPECIAL EDITION?!

Count me in! I own anything and everything if it's got "special edition" written on the box! :p
My favorite being my Legend of Zelda Triforce Gold Nintendo DS Lite. Best. Thing. Ever.

Just plain black cases are fine with me if it makes the process any faster.

The ports are obvious and its not like I was going to use the LEDs as intended any way...

Tom` said:
fiori_musicali said:
craigix said:

I don't see it as an issue. I think you'd quickly get used to the placement of the LEDs, which is the only thing that's not immediately obvious, and you could just have that in the manual.

No matter what you do, though, some people are going to complain. At this point, it's probably best just to decide on something and ship it, and if someone is really that concerned about it, they could swap it with a second-batch unit or something.

I'm of much the same opinion as you. The only problem I can foresee is the LEDs being a bit of a puzzle, but that can be learned.

However, a non-marked Pandora would look amazing (judging from Mweston's latest pic of the light pipes, the quite dark pic).

I guess it's a case of how rushed are we, if it only takes two days to send the silk screen designs to the factory and we have a bit more time, then I suggest we quickly narrow down a compromise on the best set of icons, or a mixture.

craigix said:

Yes, please!

While the LED labels could arguably be useful, I really think it's better off plain black. (Frankly, you don't even really need to memorize which ones are which, it will come as second nature as you use it for a few days. There's only 6 of them.)

A completely unmarked device has a charm to it - makes it look more sleek and special. With the labels added all over the place, it loses that aesthetic feel and looks like just another consumer-grade device.

And considering that this is the first batch, does it really need to be completely idiot-proof?

I say keep the silk screening as is. No labels on anything would serve as bad publicity even if everyone here thought the ports were self-explanatory. Yes, some people here disagree with the design, but I believe they are in the minority. There is no one design that would appease everyone, which should be obvious from the "first batch" arguing. However, if it makes the pandora arrive at my doorstep (several days) faster, I will accept a blank one. I don't believe the majority of the silent (non-posting) pre-orderees would like it though. I think they would think something on the lines of "Special Edition! Now with less features!".

craigix said:
This is bikeshedding at its absolute worst. I don't even want anything written on them. Christ, you all know what those ports are.

Would anyone object to there just being NOTHING on it?

craig, I love you. Many other users might not, but personally, I think most of the silkscreening looks silly. I *know* what an SD port is, I don't need a tacky icon telling me.

I'm all for skipping silkscreening. But I highly doubt the majority of the community will.

Sitwon said:
Wizards of the Coast has a popular Trading Card Game (TCG) called Magic: The Gathering (Magic or MTG). The first three standard sets were named Alpha, Beta, and Revised, but subsequent sets up to the tenth set were called 4th Edition through 10th Edition. (What would have been 11th Edition they switch to using the year, Magic 2010 aka M10.)

Ooh, let's do talk about Wizards of the Coast. Up until recently they had been making the Pokemon Trading Card Game as well. And they used the term first edition to refer to those pokemon cards that were in the first run. They said "1st Edition" on them, and the only difference between those and the normal versions of those cards were those 1st Edition logos.

-God Ginrai

I like the idea of all black. But, within about a half-hour, I'd forget which LED means what, not that I'll really care much about that. No text sounds cool though.

I actually do think I would prefer to have at least some sort of Silk Screening. The only thing I'm too disappointed about is the Bluetooth part, and I can always find myself a Bluetooth sticker to put over that.

-God Ginrai

Back